Thread: How to make the "Primal Beef Jerky" less dry and skinny & more like the "other" kind? page

MumtazG38 is offline Member

How to make the "Primal Beef Jerky" less dry and skinny & more like the "other" kind?

Shop Now
    I was reading up on the primal beef jerky recipe that is on here and was absolutely loving the idea of having a delicious meaty snack...that I've always loved (yayyy...I don't have to give up ma jerkaay) handy whenever, wherever that can be made fairly easily and stay fairly long. But...

The photos on the page were a bit unappetizing (atleast for me). I don't know why but I rarely ever used to eat the beef jerky bags...I used to be a slimjim kinda girl back before I started trying to go primal. So when I think jerky...I think juicy, thick, and not so dry...and flavorful! I don't know whether it's the preservatives and other awful stuff that they put in them that makes them that way...or if its some sort of marinade/sauce they use after they're made that keeps them that way but whatever it is.....mmmmMMM.

Is there some way I could replicate the slimjim's slimjimmyness (the juicy,moist,thick meatyness, as apposed to the thinner drier chunks) primal style? Would I need to prepare some sort of sauce to dip mines in and let them sit for a while before I were to eat them...or would I do this beforehand? If I did, wouldn't that make their life shorter (go bad), since the marinade/sauce would probably go bad way before the jerky.
    In order to get the stick shape....would I need to grind up the jerky and shape it that way (much like you would a seekh kabab) before I dehydrate it?

Any ideas/recipes anybody?
    Last edited by MumtazG38; 07-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    The "meatiness" in a commercial product might well be hydrolysed yeast or something. I think real dried meat just tends to be darn hard stuff. The processed stuff you buy in packets really isn't authentic. I picked up a bag of "biltong" in a supermarket the other day, and put it down when I looked at the ingredients and found barley malt. I mean ... barley malt's for making beer. I'd thought it might be more authentic than something going under the name of "jerky", as the packets of that I see usually have a list of dodgy ingredients as long as your arm. It was far less mucked about, but still and all ...

For a mass-market product they may be able to have it slightly damper than the real thing on account of preservatives and the sealed bag (it's probably a nitrogen atmosphere in the bag) and/or it may have been pulverised and re-formed.

I guess you could try making droŽwors instead. That's a South African dried-meat sausage, so that's ground like some kinds of kebab. I found a tiny shop selling biltong and the guy broke off a piece off that and gave it to me to try. It was OK and spicier and more chewable than the biltong he was selling, although it was the latter I bought. Here's a recipe I just Googled up. It suggests you make it, freeze it, then defrost some and dry it as it's wanted.

http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong20_drywors.html

I guess the sausage casing is a convenience, and small patties would do just as well.

Maybe play around with recipes - look at a few for different types of dried meats and sausages.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    When I was a kid, we used to get dried moose meat and dip it in butter.
    Thats all I got, sorry
    Calm the f**k down.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I thought companies in America weren't allowed to sell raw meat. Jerky is technically raw meat (since its dehydrated not cooked). So any store bought jerky is likely to actually be cooked meat and thus not real jerky.