Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laundry page

kermie is offline Member

Laundry

Shop Now
    Well, I've now given up conventional shampoo, soap and deodorant, I guess laundry detergent is next. I have always used Tide but I hear that the fabric softeners and fragrences are toxic. What do people use to wash their clothes? Awhile back I had a roommate that used some sort of "green" lavendar detergent but can't remember the name.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    There was a post on here a few months ago about making your own detergent. I'll try to find and post. I have been looking for alternatives as well.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member
    I'm getting ready to make my own detergent. Grated bar soap, Borax and washing soda (sodium carbonate- now sold in pool cleaner isle)

Maurabela is offline Member
    Homemade Laundry Soap

Ingredients:
    Water
    Cup Borax
    Cup Washing Soda
    1 bar of Ivory or Castille soap
    Essential oil for scent
    Bucket or container

Directions:
    Grate the bar of soap into a large stovetop pot with a cheese grater or in a food processor
    Fill the pot with 6 cups of water
    Heat on medium-low heat and stir (I recommend using a wooden spoon as it works well to break apart larger soap chunks) until all of the soap is melted
    Add powders to melted soap mixture and stir until all of the powder is dissolved
    Pour 4 cups of hot water into the bucket or container
    Pour powder/soap mixture into hot water and stir as you pour
    Pour 1 gallons of water into the bucket and stir
    Add essential oil for scent, if desired and stir
    The mixture will become gel-like after resting, but can be used in the liquid state immediately.
    Use cup per load.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea, but wonder about whether it's rough on colors and fabrics. Not that I think it must be worse, but I wouldn't want to find out too late.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    baking soda. sometimes dr. bronners (that stuff works for everyfreakin'thing).
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I use this. http://www.ecos.com/ecosliquid.html

I make soap, bath and body products as a profession and when I don't have time (which lately is a lot) I use this as an alternate.

It has a built in fabric softener, but I will, on occasion use vinegar and lavender eo as a rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I like the idea, but wonder about whether it's rough on colors and fabrics. Not that I think it must be worse, but I wouldn't want to find out too late.
    I've never had a problem with it being rough on colors and fabrics. Everything smells fresh and it just as good/better than commercial detergents. Also, towels smell a lot better, and stay better- smelling longer. In the summer, I used to have to change our towels out everyday because they would get moldy-smelling while they were air drying after bathing, but that doesn't happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurabela View Post
    Homemade Laundry Soap

Ingredients:
    • Water
    • Cup Borax
    • Cup Washing Soda
    • 1 bar of Ivory or Castille soap
    • Essential oil for scent
    • Bucket or container

Directions:
    • Grate the bar of soap into a large stovetop pot with a cheese grater or in a food processor
    • Fill the pot with 6 cups of water
    • Heat on medium-low heat and stir (I recommend using a wooden spoon as it works well to break apart larger soap chunks) until all of the soap is melted
    • Add powders to melted soap mixture and stir until all of the powder is dissolved
    • Pour 4 cups of hot water into the bucket or container
    • Pour powder/soap mixture into hot water and stir as you pour
    • Pour 1 gallons of water into the bucket and stir
    • Add essential oil for scent, if desired and stir
    The mixture will become gel-like after resting, but can be used in the liquid state immediately.
    Use cup per load.
    Been using this for over a year and would never go back to commercial detergent.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    At the rate that I do laundry... and some NASTY dirty little boy, and chef laundry... I'm personally not too keen on spending time mixing up concoctions.

That said, I'm quite liking the Method products, 7th generation, and ecover fabric softener (they list all their ingredients... which most companies don't!)... Also, pretty cheap!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast