Thread: Another ex-veg swells the ranks page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hi What a great community y'all are!

Just a quick intro:

I'm a 31 year old female loving life in Idaho. After 3 years of near-vegan eating (healthful, clean vegan -- not processed crap vegan!), I've spent the last couple months shifting toward primal eating, motivated by the need for more energy to fuel my bodyweight, strength, and interval training. My active lifestyle as an endurance rider, horse trainer, and organic mini-farmer was already certifiably primal.

At 5'3" and 110 very lean, strong pounds, I now consume the following fuel:

Mostly plants. Mostly raw plants. Lots and lots of plants. Most are veggies. I still eat quite a bit of fruit, but am cutting back with a goal of 150 instead of my current 200g daily carb limit. (200g has worked very well for me, though, presumably because of my intensive workout schedule.)

Very little grain. 3 or fewer servings per week, and those tend to be wild rice, quinoa, or corn-on-the-cob. Or, the occasional sandwich at a business lunch.

Very few legumes. Also 3 or fewer servings per week, usually lentils. Funny to think how whole grains and legumes comprised so much of my recent, vegan diet! Whoa!

2 farm-fresh eggs and some wild, fatty fish every day. I'm working on upping my protein to 80g daily, which will probably require that I track down some grass-fed, organic meats. That'll be easier come winter, as I'm raising 2 lambs for slaughter.

About 50% of daily calories in fats (nuts, olives, the right oils, eggs, fish, coconut milk, etc).

Occasional, limited full-fat dairy. Maybe 1-2 small servings a week, such as yogurt topping on a soup or an ounce of cheese with berries for dessert.

Almost no sugar, apart from fruit. Very few bottled/boxed/packaged/processed products (I do use the occasional can of tomatoes or veggie broth). Sometimes have an ounce of dark chocolate for dessert. Occasionally (1-2 times per month) some beer, wine, or whiskey. Morning coffee daily, black. Green tea and peppermint tea. Water.

After 8 weeks of shift, including the past 3 weeks of nearly-pure "primalness," I'm leaner, stronger, and more energetic than ever. And, I've succeeded in freaking out quite a few vegan/vegetarian friends.

For me, the lightbulb was in the carbs. I will likely always be a bit heavier on veggies and lighter on meats than most paleos, but this lifestyle makes a lot of sense to me and I don't see myself leaving it anytime soon.

Cheers!

PS I raise a rare breed of horses called Barbs...hence BarbeyGirl. In case you were wondering.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primalmom is offline Member

welcome ex-veg !! .. yeah, there are a lot of reformed herbivores running around ! Looks like you are doing great already

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Thanks, primalmom. I'm feeling fantistic so far!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

betsnevada Guest

Hey BarbeyGirl,

I have to give you the credit for introducing me to this site. I've enjoyed your horse blog and I'm having a great time with the primal stuff. I'd really like to shed this extra weight and skip the diabetes route my mom took. Hope to see you on the trail someday.

PrimalCon New York

Hey, BetsN! Awesome! So glad to see you over here. Would love to meet you at a ride...and probably will, one of these days.