Thread: Vitamin E page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Vitamin E

Primal Fuel
    I've been using Fitday for the first time. It seems like it might among other things be a good way to keep a rough eye on micronutrients. Sure, some RDAs are questionable, and Fitday's estimates of what's in what may be off, too, but it's probably worth looking at.

Anyway, I'm over most RDAs on most days - quite substantially so on some (A, D, B12, for example). Thiamine is occasionally under for me, and potassium now and then. But I'm only regularly low on two nutrients. The first, which I'd expected, is magnesium. The second, which I hadn't, is vitamin E.

Do others find the same?

The foods highest in it that I can find are almonds and sunflower seeds. Otherwise, I guess it's wheatgerm oil. Are there any foods people here are eating with vitamin E in mind?
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-26-2010 at 12:35 PM.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here's a page on Vitamin E from the Linus Pauling Micronutrient Information Center; it details much concerning Vitamin E, including the most E-rich foods:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminE/

Excerpt: "Major sources of alpha-tocopherol in the American diet include vegetable oils (olive, sunflower, and safflower oils), nuts, whole grains, and green leafy vegetables. All eight forms of vitamin E (alpha-, beta-, gamma-, and delta-tocopherols and tocotrienols) occur naturally in foods but in varying amounts."

If you scroll ~2/3 of the way down the linked page, you'll see a chart of the Vitamin E content of various foods listed.

Also, here is the Pauling Institute's recommendation for Vitamin E supplementation:
    "Scientists at the Linus Pauling Institute feel there exists credible evidence that taking a supplement of 200 IU (134 mg) of natural source d-alpha-tocopherol (RRR-alpha-tocopherol) daily with a meal may help protect adults from chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, neurodegenerative diseases, and some types of cancer. The amount of alpha-tocopherol required for such beneficial effects appears to be much greater than that which could be achieved through diet alone (see Sources). Since supplements containing 200 IU of d-alpha-tocopherol are often as expensive as supplements containing 400 IU of d-alpha-tocopherol, a less expensive alternative may be to take 400 IU (268 mg) of d-alpha-tocopherol every other day. Alpha-tocopherol supplements are unlikely to be absorbed unless taken with food."
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 07-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.