Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the primal way of getting over the flu? page

pantrybites is offline Member

Question What is the primal way of getting over the flu?

Primal Fuel
    I am sick as a dog- fever, chills, sore throat. I can easily pop a Tylenol but would like to try to cure myself using more natural methods. Any suggestions? The fever is especially difficult to deal with.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, take an aleve, advil, or motrin and go to sleep. Not all modern medicine is bad.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    The fever may be your body trying to "burn out" the infection. It depends on how high it is. Here is a pretty good article about how to treat (or not treat) a fever: http://www.doctoryourself.com/fever.html

In the article he mentions that a lot of hospitals don't treat fevers until they get over 102f which fits with other articles that I have read. For me when I feel like that my body just shuts down and I sleep but that is just me. If you can't rest because of the fever you might be better off taking something for it. If you can sleep, your body has a better chance of healing itself. If you have to take ibuprofen or Tylenol in order to rest, the trade off is likely going to be worth it.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Sorry you are not feeling well.

Lots of vitamin D3, C, zinc and sleep always work for me.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I agree that if a fever isn't making you miserable, don't worry about it per se. If it is making you miserable, for goodness sake treat it.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Professor Michael F. Holick, PhD, MD, the renowned researcher who made many discoveries regarding vitamin D, wrote in his new book, "The Vitamin D Solution":

"A study of postmenopausal women who took 2,000 IU of vitamin D a day showed that they had a 90% reduction in upper-respiratory tract infections compared to women who took just 400 IU of vitamin D a day."

Cillakat has posted extensively and astutely on Vitamin D and testing. Maybe nothing that you can incorporate soon enough to help with the present flu, but why not try to avoid the next one.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth. And Tylenol.

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    First be sure it "just" the flu and not something worse. Have you recently been bitten by a tick? Look up Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (which is actually more prevalent in the Eastern US/Canada). RMSF can be very serious so if you have been in the woods you may want to see an MD. Actual flu is not very common in the summer (assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere).
    Edited to add that when I was diagnosed I had no rash, and had a severe sore throat (went to the MD because I thought it was strep throat). Most websites neglect to mention that sore throat can be a symptom, and not everyone gets the rash)
    Last edited by Roo; 07-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Cold Showers every day...you wont feel sick for a long ass time.

Since I done it, I only had the flu once, and it was a really weak version of past experiences .

And itīs two years showering in cold hard water, with steak and bacon just to feel awesome.

pantrybites is offline Member
    Thanks for all the advice. I gave in and took a tylenol and taking the day off work. I would suspect that getting sick was a result of stress and taking too much on- so again back to the basics. Rest, good food, and lots of sunshine.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast