Thread: Deviled Eggs? page

EnterpriseE is offline Junior Member

Deviled Eggs?

Primal Fuel
    I really like deviled eggs but I am not sure if they are considered primal or not. Obviously, I would not want to purchase them from a comercial store as they would be filled with all sorts of chemicals. However, if I was to make them myself and use only organic ingredients (eggs, mayo, parika etc) would they be considered primal?

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are I LOVE deviled eggs and make them a lot more than I used to back when they were a CW guilty pleasure! I haven't started making my own mayo yet but I switched from miracle whip to the olive-oil or omega-3 mayo, and just double-checked that I wasn't putting enough relish in them to get the carb count up more than I wanted. I'm still looking for a brand of relish that doesn't have corn syrup in it - as I don't expect to be growing my own cucumbers and canning them myself any time soon

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are I LOVE deviled eggs and make them a lot more than I used to back when they were a CW guilty pleasure! I haven't started making my own mayo yet but I switched from miracle whip to the olive-oil or omega-3 mayo, and just double-checked that I wasn't putting enough relish in them to get the carb count up more than I wanted. I'm still looking for a brand of relish that doesn't have corn syrup in it - as I don't expect to be growing my own cucumbers and canning them myself any time soon
    relish has no place in deviled eggs. Egg, mayo, paprika done
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

mayness is offline Senior Member
    If you were to make your own mayo out of a primal fat (olive oil or animal fat), and don't use any additions that are non-primal, it's 100% fine.

I haven't found the motivation to make my own mayo, so when I want something like deviled eggs, I just use store-bought mayo full of nasty canola oil and consider it part of my 20%.

There's a recipe here that uses avocado instead of mayo, which is a nice primal option: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fat-guacamole-devils/

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    relish has no place in deviled eggs. Egg, mayo, paprika done
    I'd add mustard to that. 1 teaspoon per 6 eggs. But then there's not much that I DON'T put mustard in. =]

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    tuna-filled eggs are yum.

I make primal deviled eggs with grainy dijon mustard, no mayo. maybe a little olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika. I dont miss the mayo, and it leaves room for nasty oils to be consumed elsewhere, like in restuarants ( we probably eat more bad oil than we think, so I figure I can make my 20% really 20% (and not 30% or 40%) if I just suck it up and dont use the mayo. Also, Im very lazy and will make my own mayo again later rather than sooner.

Its worth noting that pre-pb, mayo ranked in my top 5 favorite foods too.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Greek yogurt is a great sub for mayo in deviled eggs, and I have also done a thai style egg using coconut cream.

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    When I make deviled eggs, I will only eat 2 whole eggs at a time (4 halves) - I DO use olive oil mayo and the tiniest smidgen of 'Durkees' (smidgens go a LOOOOOONG way with this stuff but it MAKES the egg).

I don't have the right tools to make my own mayo but I only use it maybe twice a week and its less than half a serving when I do so I don't sweat it. I jumped back on the Primal wagon a week ago and I've already lost 7 lbs (obviously 7 lbs of water, inflammation, and crap, but nonetheless).

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
    I don't have the right tools to make my own mayo
    A halfway decent mixing bowl, a whisk, and an energetic arm are all the more equipment you need to make your own mayo.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post

There's a recipe here that uses avocado instead of mayo, which is a nice primal option: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fat-guacamole-devils/

I'd add mustard to that. 1 teaspoon per 6 eggs. But then there's not much that I DON'T put mustard in. =]
    I just made these and they are awesome! I did add ground mustard to it.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!