Thread: My Cholesterol Pre and Post PB - LDL too high? page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

My Cholesterol Pre and Post PB - LDL too high?

Primal Fuel
    My doctor said something I found funny: "Your LDL is Pattern A, which is excellent! But, your LDL is too high." So apparently I have too much excellent cholesterol... interesting. Then she started talking about lipitor, even though I explained these changes are 100% due to dietary changes, so if I wanted to worry I'd just adjust my diet. Is mentioning Lipitor to any and every patient part of the Hippocratic oath or something?

Any input, dietary suggestions, etc are appreciated although the more I read, the more I think cholesterol levels and heart disease are totally unrelated. And I have a feeling a Vitamin D supplement will up the HDL quite a bit.

Feb 15th 2010 Lipid Panel (I didn't even know about the VAP then)
    Total: 238
    LDL: 177
    HDL: 46
    TRG: 75

July 20th 2010 - all Measured values
    Total: 318
    Total LDL: 243
    Real LDL: 217
    Lp(a): 5
    IDL: 21 (desirable < 20)

LDL Density: Pattern A
    - LDL4: 15.5
    - LDL3: 115.3
    - LDL2: 44.1
    - LDL1: 42.0

Total HDL: 56
    HDL2 13
    HDL3 43

Total VLDL: 19
    VLDL1+2: 7.3
    VLDL3: 11 (desirable < 10)

Apo B100: 160 (desirable < 109)
    Apo A1: 158 (desirable > 118)

Triglycerides: 75 (no change after dropping all grains and sugar?!)

Vitamin D

Vitamin D and HDL:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...d-and-hdl.html

Cholesterol ideal between 200 and 240:
    http://www.canibaisereis.com/2009/09...y-not-healthy/

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well there are better peeps than I to comment on the LDL (and mine went up too -- all type A-- and the PA I saw expressed "concern" which I ignored), but your D is way low. I'd look into how much D you would need to raise yours back up (that and getting out! if it works for you), but optimal is more like 65, and I believe the low end of acceptable is around 40ish.

Mine was down to 29 at one point and I got it up to 65, then it went down to 49 because I wasn't supp'ing with enough.

To get mine up the first time, I took 10,000 iu for 4 weeks, then went down to a maintenance dose of 4,000 iu. (which turned out not to be quite enough). So this time I did the same thing, but am now taking 6,000 i.u. for maintenance, which hopefully will work.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, 6,000 IU's a day?! My doctor agreed it was too low, and suggested I take 400 - 1,000 IU per day. I get enough sun maybe twice a week.

Thanks for the reply.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend reading CillaKat's thing on D (it's in her sig-line). I thought 4,000 iu was enough to keep me maintained, but really you need 1,000 i.u /25lbs bodyweight. Live and learn! It's amazing how much one really does need... though if we were skipping about in loincloths all day we wouldn't.

Damn clothes.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid