Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from SW Ohio?? page 2

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok and Grol View Post
    I have read about the 2nd street public market and was hoping to check it out. Is it every saturday?
    Every Saturday, Pastured meat is available year round, as well as some small farms that sell products not necessarily "Pastured" but local and you get to ask questions of the seller about how they raise there animals. Produce is always available, but it isn't necessarily local so you have to ask. Right now there is plenty of local produce, but in the winter it is all imported. I buy lots from Eat Food for Life, Landis farms(pork mainly), and amish farmer, sorry don't know the name and MillCreek farm(they are outside during the growing season).
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok and Grol View Post
    @Hannahc
    Where do you get your pastured meat? I checked eatwild and only found 2 places that seemed feasible. Just wondered if you knew more than that.

Also, I have read about the 2nd street public market and was hoping to check it out. Is it every saturday?
    I bought a side of grass-fed beef from wonderful farmers in SE Indiana (only about 40 minutes away) last October, and will be buying a whole cow this year. I think I found them on Eatwild.com, but it also could have been localharvest.com. Their website is farmone.net, and the people are awesome.

I've also found some great looking deals in northern Kentucky on Craigslist though, there are quite a few people who raise grass-finished beef within an hours drive. I also found a pastured pork source in Henry County, KY, which is about an hour and a half south of me. I haven't ordered from them, but am considering it for the fall.

Right now I get all of my poultry and pork from Findlay Market, which is near the downtown Cincinnati area. The poultry is from an Amish farm not too far from the city (within 100 miles), though I'm not sure that it's pastured. The pork is "naturally" raised, and the sausages I can get there are made in-house, and have nothing added but spices (no preservatives or MSG at all) and are reasonably priced. Their bacon is nitrate free as well, and tastes 1,000x better than bacon I've gotten even at Whole Foods. Findlay Market also has a wonderful Spice counter, with almost anything you can imagine, awesome farmers during the summer/fall season with lots of different produce and locally made cheese, an Asian store, a Mediterranean store, local honey, local fermented foods....just lots of good stuff! I buy my meat there almost exclusively, though once I buy my cow this fall I won't buy as much meat.

I don't know about the 2nd Street public market, I haven't ever been there. I know there are many farmer's markets in the area, I just go to Findlay because it's a farmer's market PLUS a local market open year round, and it's close to me.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Kev
    Hanna,

I have been looking for a side of beef, I checked out farmone.net and was wondering if you were happy with how the meat was trimmed? I would really like the beef to NOT be closely trimmed and to get as many bones as possible.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    West Liberty has a pretty good place where my family would get beef -- S&M Custom Meats. Unfortunately they became victim to a damaging fire a couple weeks ago and I don't know when/whether they'll get back into business.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hanna,

I have been looking for a side of beef, I checked out farmone.net and was wondering if you were happy with how the meat was trimmed? I would really like the beef to NOT be closely trimmed and to get as many bones as possible.
    They actually send the beef to a custom butcher, and they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to. I asked that they not trim the cuts much at all, as I wanted to decide how much fat to keep on my steaks, and they honored that completely. They process their ground beef at either 85/15 or 80/20 standard, I can't remember which. Either way, it's not lean by any stretch! I also ordered as many bones as I could get, as well as extra suet, and still have 3 gigantic bags full in my freezer (we have a large freezer in the basement). I won't do that again this year, but mostly because we just didn't use them like I thought we would. I definitely enjoyed working with them, both the owners and the butcher were very helpful being that last year was the first time I'd ever ordered a side of anything. The beef tastes amazing, the fat is better than butter (we couldn't believe how good it tasted), every single cut was great (though I spent a good deal of time learning how to prepare all sorts of different cuts), and we were very sad to run out!
    You are what you eat,

Kev
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahc View Post
    They actually send the beef to a custom butcher, and they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to. I asked that they not trim the cuts much at all, as I wanted to decide how much fat to keep on my steaks, and they honored that completely. They process their ground beef at either 85/15 or 80/20 standard, I can't remember which. Either way, it's not lean by any stretch! I also ordered as many bones as I could get, as well as extra suet, and still have 3 gigantic bags full in my freezer (we have a large freezer in the basement). I won't do that again this year, but mostly because we just didn't use them like I thought we would. I definitely enjoyed working with them, both the owners and the butcher were very helpful being that last year was the first time I'd ever ordered a side of anything. The beef tastes amazing, the fat is better than butter (we couldn't believe how good it tasted), every single cut was great (though I spent a good deal of time learning how to prepare all sorts of different cuts), and we were very sad to run out!
    Thanks so much, I have been hoping to find a recommendation because there are a lot of options. How long did 1/2 last your family?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Thanks so much, I have been hoping to find a recommendation because there are a lot of options. How long did 1/2 last your family?
    Hahaha, well "family" is just me and the husband...we got 288 pounds from them, probably 220 pounds of meat (the rest bones/suet/liver...they had leftover liver from the previous year and I bought it for the dogs). After 6 months we had about 20 pounds total left. To be fair, we spent VERY little on meat all through the winter and spring, because we ate the beef A LOT! It's not fun spending $60 a week on meat again! That's why we are going to buy a full cow this year, so that we can make it last a year this time. A "normal" family, even with kids, would probably only need a side of beef for a whole year, but we aren't exactly normal
    You are what you eat,

PS, if you decide to order from them, please please tell them I sent you (I'll PM you my full name)!! It'll give me a bit of a discount
    You are what you eat,

Grok and Grol is offline Junior Member
    thanks for all the information.

Kev
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahc View Post
    PS, if you decide to order from them, please please tell them I sent you (I'll PM you my full name)!! It'll give me a bit of a discount
    I'll do that for sure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast