Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAH! Why won't the dang scale move?!?! page

AndreAnna is offline Junior Member

WAH! Why won't the dang scale move?!?!

Shop Now
    I posted about this here before and got SO many great responses! (you can click that for the old thread so you don't have to read the same story twice) I have stayed on track and even upped my workouts because of your support and the way I feel on this lifestyle

However, after SIX weeks of living primal (with the exception of some dairy which I have no issue with), I have not lost ONE pound.

I'm sure I am losing inches because I LOOK better and LOOK younger but is not in my belly - my waist is the SAME size (which as a female and at 44 inches is WAY too high)

I do CrossFit around 4 times a week. Unfortunately I am an editor so I spend most of the rest of my life on my ass, unless I'm chasing after my two young kids. I eat NO grains, NO sugar - NONE. I keep my calories around 1200-1800/day.

I know lean muscle is likely replacing some of the fat but my belly fat WONT move. I'm discouraged because previously on a low-call, low-fat diet, I could lose the inches quicker than this! I have no plans to go back to that way of life as it was miserable and not sustainable, but I just want to SEE some results rather than just FEEL them.

I thought by keeping my carbs around or under 50g a day (only from veggies and some cheese) that the weight would FALL OFF, like it's doing for my husband who has lost 30 lbs in the same six weeks. But NOTHING. Like it's doing for all my friends and family I've inspired to try primal who are losing pounds at a time for weeks on end,

I'm still an almost-30-year old chick who weighs 214 lbs despite kicking my ass at the gym and eating clean and healthy. And it sucks.

I'm not going to give up, I'm just frustrated and confused. I don't get it. What the hell is going on with my body?
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

I also have Facebook Fan Page! Come join us!

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    It's only been six weeks. Don't go crazy. I judge more on the mirror appearance than scale appearance. Give it time. Some people take longer than others, based on genetic, environmental, or other differences. As long as you're in a calorie deficit and are getting your calories from proper sources, you'll get there eventually.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    You may be going through a metabolic healing phase, which can happen for some people at the beginning of this WOE. It is caused by the body temporarily raising your insulin levels (in spite of low carb eating)...an adaptive response to whatever was going on before you started eating primally. Sort of like, "Oh good, got some good building blocks coming in now...better make good use of them and make sure that they are going to keep on coming..." It requires patience to wait for this process to end.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Well... I kinda doubt it took you 6 weeks to get up to 214... So, allow yourself some time to come down.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY... if you're getting slimmer by way of the tape measure, you ARE losing fat. You just happen to be gaining muscle which by volume weights more... ie, a pound of muscle is MUCH smaller than a pound of fat. Google images... it will become quite clear!

Congratz you are on your way!!!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i would vary your calories... lik 1200 one day....2100 one day....1500....2500....1200.... like that and go by a weekly weigh in

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    i would vary your calories... lik 1200 one day....2100 one day....1500....2500....1200.... like that and go by a weekly weigh in
    +1. the scale is not moving because you might be overtraining and eating more than you think due to the "upped workouts". The workouts are not going to be the main mechanism for fat burning. The purpose of the work outs should be to build muscle and strength (thus improving your BMR and metabolism) Fat loss loss will come primarily from a caloric deficit and extended periods (12-18 hours) without food intake so that your body can utilize its existing fat stores. add in some IF and that should get things moving.

also, combine weekly(at most) weigh ins with measurments using a tape mmeasure. the scale has a nasty habit of demotivating its users when in reality they ARE losing body fat and gaining muscle, however slowly.

When your body fat % lowers (and it will) with IF, your protein requirements will be higher, yet your overall calories should be lower.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-26-2010 at 09:57 AM.

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought but have you tried some bouts of IF?

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    AndreAnna, throw away your scale. I took a look at your before/after pics in the previous thread and you are definitely losing fat. Instead of a pound based set of goals, go for the tape measure and fitness goals.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Throw the scale away.

What does it matter what the scale says? The fact that it remains static while you lose inches means you are losing fat and gaining muscle. That means better health. Yay!!!

AndreAnna is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I DID throw my dang scale away but I get weighed weekly at my allergist for my injections. I should just shield my eyes! I know my arms, thighs and but are smaller and I look way better but I've been measuring my waist - the problem area for me and it's holding steady.

I do IF a few days a week on the days I don't crossfit in the morning (otherwise, I get light-headed and weak) and I never eat past 7 pm and never eat before 7 am so there's always at least a 12-hour fast, if not 18-hr EACH DAY.

I'm just starting to feel like a failure - like something is WRONG with me that it's not working right. I'm even on medication for my insulin resistance from PCOS which is supposed to HELP lose weight not hold onto it.

I've been up and down my whole life - cresting at 310 right after college and then getting down to 185 (and being extremely fit and happy there) and now, two kids later I'm stuck with this belly that wont move.

I'm not giving up though, just venting and hoping maybe someone has had a similar experience and can tell me I'll wake up tomorrow 20 pounds lighter!

Thanks everyone!
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

I also have Facebook Fan Page! Come join us!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast