Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: WAH! Why won't the dang scale move?!?! page 4

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Primal Fuel
    AndreAnna: wow, great progress! (saw the pics)

piano doctor lady is right on. In addition, I wanna add a couple things:

Ditch the almonds and almond products completely. They're too high in omega-6 fatty acids. If you wanna snack on nuts, get a couple handfuls of macadamias and leave it at that.

Fats, where are your fats?! Cook in butter or coconut oil, always, never olive oil (when pan-frying). And I think there should be more fatty meats in your diet. Chicken is fine and dandy but it's not a great source of animal fats. Beef! If you're not a fan of steak, try to get into it. If you really can't, try ground beef. When you pan-fry your bacon, cook the rest of your breakfast in the same pan with the bacon grease. Fat, juicy Italian sausages. Don't forget non-animal fats. Where are your avocados? Those are high fat (monounsaturated), antioxidant super fruits, I try to eat one daily. Slice 'em in half, mash in some lemon juice and pepper and eat them raw, they're delicious like that. If that's too boring for you, mash it and mix it with tuna.

Fat alone is not good enough to burn fat. It's the combo of fat + protein that does it, I think. I have this stubborn gut that's been annoying me by sticking around even though I've been Primal for a while. Someone told me to eat more protein, so I have been, and I can tell my gut is starting to slowly shrink. Slowly.

Fruits. One Paleo person said fruit was like candy bars growing on trees. I ignore people who demonize fruits because I think it's an absurd viewpoint to have. But piano doc is right, don't eat high fructose fruits by themselves. Berries and cherries are the best options, remember. Apples and pears come in 2nd. Try to avoid (or eat infrequently) bananas, melons, pineapples, and other sweeter fruits.

Keep up the great work, you can do this!

AndreAnna is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! The good advice just keeps on coming!

Pianodoc - yeah I have severe allergies to dust and mold. I don't think I can fix this no matter what kind of diet I have. I know there are many treatments for seasonal allergies but for dust and mold, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. Ha!

As for the Crossfit - that IS my weight training, it incorporates everything you suggested I try for weight training - power lifts, pullups, pushups, etc. My trainers are awesome and always make sure we have proper form and no injury. Everything is scaled down for my skill level but I still push myself and love those workouts. I also always make sure I have a day of rest (or two) when my body needs it.

I'm sure I could use more walking, biking (moving at a slow pace) but 1) its been hot as hell and 2) with the full-time job and two kids, my time is very limited so I try to get the most with the Crossfit and stay active as much as I can.

Also: I'm just never going to like fatty meat. It's not a stigma about fats; it's the taste. I just don't like it. I do eat bacon and organic sausages and burgers and ground bison. I also like avocados and have a couple a week.

Good advice on the apple. I'll keep any fruit I have with a meal.

If I dont feel like meat or eggs for a meal, what do you suggest? Sometimes I'm just not super hungry but want something small so I'll have cottage cheese and some berries.

I thought almonds were good for you? I don't overdo them and do take Omega-3s to help keep a healthy balance but I do sometimes cook/bake with almond flour. I actually very rarely have any of the treats or breads I make bc just because they are low-carb they are still high-cal.

I'll look into the pantothenic acid, thanks for the tip!

What do you guys think about protein shakes as an occasional meal supplement to get enough protein? I read Mark's stance on it and he leaves it in the 20% rule to make accommodations for modern life. I'm wondering is upping my protein would help?
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

I also have Facebook Fan Page! Come join us!

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    AndreAnna, you are making great progress! If you've been losing inches everywhere else (which it's obvious that you are from your pictures), it's only a matter of time before your body lets go of the belly fat too. Try to not let your diet be a source of stress in your life right now. Stay within PB nutrition guidlines, keep up your workouts, rest when your body asks for it, and enjoy playtime with your family. As was mentioned before, it took more than 6 weeks (or 8 weeks by now probably) to put on the extra weight, so it's going to take time for it ALL to come back off. Your body is changing drastically, but as is the case for many people, it's not changing in the ways that you want it to first (ie:getting rid of belly fat instead of arm/leg fat)! It will happen as you progress, so try to enjoy the changes as they happen, including the benefits that have nothing to do with weight!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

zorba is offline Member
    @egule: I am sensing that you haven't much first hand experience with Crossfit, correct?

@AndreAnna-I also do CrossFit 3-4x per week depending on how I feel. 3x for sure and if I feel up to that 4th day, I giver! The strength gains in only a short time are tremendous! The environment and coaching is so much fun isn't it!
    Last edited by zorba; 07-27-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Me? Yes, I do Crossfit an average 3-4 days a week and I love it! I actually just completed my eight "elements" classes where you work one-on-one with t he trainer to make sure you learn all of the moves and proper techniques and form. The last element lesson was a repeat of the first one and after only 3 weeks, I shaved 4:08 off my time!! The strengths and gains are amazing and I truly do believe in the power of rest too!
    Last edited by AndreAnna; 07-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    After checking out your before/after photos I'm in the "throw away the scale" club. You LOOK different. Something is changing. Perhaps 214 is the weight your body needs to be. I think when you feel frustrated you should look at those photos on your blog. Your body is changing, even if the scale isn't.

Also, have you considered ditching the birth control pills? They don't really treat PCOS, they just give you a monthly "period" which makes you feel more "normal". The metformin alone may make your periods more regular.
    ~Sandy

eglue is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    @egule: I am sensing that you haven't much first hand experience with Crossfit, correct?
    I'm very familiar with the Crossfit concept. the gym I use actually a Crossfit gym. I also trained in Krav Maga for a few years which had similar concepts of doing different exercises every session so that you're "body doesn't get use" to something and plateaus.

The problem is that there is a fundamental difference between building muscle tissue and basically "skill" training your muscles. I'm not saying you can't get gains and health improvements with Crossfit, you definitely can... but I am saying you can certainly can get hurt with Crossfit as well. There's is expense to doing Crossfit, just like there's any expense to doing any physical activity. If you ENJOY doing it... then do it. But is there a more efficient, healthier method of getting physically fit. YES!

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'll give an example where Crossfit falls short.

Throwing weight around is not ideal. It creates massive impact loads on your joints depending on what you're doing and once you actually get the weight moving, you're basically cheating the effort by using it's momentum to accomplish desired movement. ie. power lifters that are able to achieve overhead lifts of hundreds of pounds of weight are actually throwing the weight into the air. They still "accomplished" what they set out to do...but could they do it without using momentum? Absolutely not. They definitely could not do that if they attempted to slowly lifted it from the ground. That's just one problem that sets Crossfit worlds apart from HIIT/BBS.

There's a couple of threads on Fitness that talk about this.

Point for AndreAnna is that I agree with everyone here. You are losing weight, it's very noticeable. So just keep doing what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreAnna View Post
    Also: I'm just never going to like fatty meat. It's not a stigma about fats; it's the taste. I just don't like it. I do eat bacon and organic sausages and burgers and ground bison. I also like avocados and have a couple a week.

Good advice on the apple. I'll keep any fruit I have with a meal.

If I dont feel like meat or eggs for a meal, what do you suggest? Sometimes I'm just not super hungry but want something small so I'll have cottage cheese and some berries.

I thought almonds were good for you? I don't overdo them and do take Omega-3s to help keep a healthy balance but I do sometimes cook/bake with almond flour. I actually very rarely have any of the treats or breads I make bc just because they are low-carb they are still high-cal.
    If fatty meats are out of the question, there are other avenues. You say you eat a couple avocados a week. Try one every single day. And cook with virgin, unprocessed coconut oil for every meal. You've gotta get that fat content in there. Bacon and sausages won't cut it, unfortunately. And sadly, bacon is moderately high in omega-6. It has enough other benefits such as protein, so it's not something I'd cut back on, but.. it's not the ideal meat for sure. I can't comment on bison meat since I know nothing about it.

Eggs.. eggs are a great source of cholesterol. If you're not eating eggs, you could get cholesterol from sausages pretty easily. Cottage cheese, that's a tricky one. Some people feel casein is not good for you. I used to rely on cottage cheese as a snack early in my journey into the Primal Blueprint. Since I've ditched it, my weight has dropped even more than before. My vote is that cottage cheese is not all that great and we're better off without it, but that's just my opinion, don't know if others will agree with that assessment or not. And still, I have to say almonds are not all that great. Look around on the forum, you'll see many other threads where people list their diet and complain about not seeing the results they want, and people tell them to stop eating almonds as a snack. Almonds aren't the worst thing you could consume, but macadamia nuts are far, far better, due to their better O6:O3 ratio, and monounsaturated fat content. They also happen to be easier to digest than almonds. If you want to bake stuff, maybe try coconut flour? Or I think they make macadamia nut flour, not sure. Honestly I never have the desire to bake anything at all (as far as "pseudo-flour" products). I bake fish, that's about it. Be aware of these sort of "substitutes" you're looking for. It's very common early in PB to try to find substitutes for pizza, sandwiches, etc., believe me.. been there & done that myself. But after a while, you lose interest in it as you discover other delicious things to eat. Now, I have zero desire for any baked pseudo-flour products, sandwich or bread substitutes, or anything else along those lines.

I'll be honest and say I think the fact that you have an aversion to eggs & meats such as non-lean steaks is going to be a slight damper on your progress, HOWEVER, it doesn't mean you can't get to where you want to be. It just means you'll have to be creative about your food choices, that's all.

Summary: ditch almonds in place of macadamia nuts, don't rely so much on cottage cheese for your protein, up your fat intake (avocados, coconut oil, macadamias), do intermittent fasting once in a while, don't snack if you're "kinda" hungry.. wait till you're fully hungry and eat a meal instead. I think this might be a good place to start.

If anyone disagrees with my advice, let me know because I'm always up for learning. I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable person around these forums, I'm still learning new things. But I've seen some great results almost effortlessly, so I have to think I've been doing something right, right?
    Last edited by CaptSaltyJack; 07-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Oh, we do eat lots of eggs! And as much as I love avocados, I just don't love them enough to eat them daily; I'd end up with an aversion, and believe me, being pregnant twice means I know a LOT about aversions. Ha!

I honestly don't use too much of the "substitutions" but it's nice to have the option to remain on track while still enjoying some of the things I used to.

I get bison over beef because there is a grass-fed organic bison farm literally down the road from my house where I get my meat. It's fresh, tastes awesome, and is a bit leaner (about 90/10 by default). I am not opposed to fattier cuts of grass-fed ground beef and do like an occasional steak but the fatty parts literally turn my stomach. My husband could eta a steal three times a day but I just can't.

I have coconut oil which I use to pan-fry things but I will try using it more and try to add in more avocados and macadamia nuts where I can in lieu of almonds.

Thanks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, farm fresh bison down the street?! Doesn't get any better than that. Lucky.

Sorry, not sure why I thought you had an issue with eggs. Good, eggs are great, especially if you can get your hands on USDA certified organic with omega-3 content. Good stuff!

Best of luck!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast