Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WAH! Why won't the dang scale move?!?! page 3

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok...I just looked at your before/after...are you kidding? the difference is so incredibly obvious. How do your clothes feel around your stomach compared to a month ago?
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

smhsailaway is offline Member
    From everything I have read and know .. belly fat is all about stress, and intake. If will help, I think you may be doing too much by 4 days of cross fit. Just a thought.... you may want to use a HR monitor and see where you are .. You may be an editor sitting on your butt a lot, but I am a dental technician, I sit for long periods too, however, I am still moving and have a stressful job. As an editor, you're having to think for others, just like I have to think for the dentists, that's what we get paid for, but still it is stressful.. tummy fat is cortisol induced.. stress is very big part of that. Spend more time playing with your kids and do cross fit 2-3x a week, maybe just once and do 2-3 strength training instead. shorter, more intense and then relax more.

Cheers

AndreAnna is offline Junior Member
    SheGlowsPale - I swear it. It has been 44-45 inches this whole time. And the scale holds still at 214. My shirts and stuff fit better but my pants and stuff still fit the same. I keep waiting for them to get looser and they just dont.

Sailsaway - my stress level is MUCH lower than it has been. I used to live in NJ and commute hours a day. Now, I work from home in our new home in IA and I think I've been pretty good about my stress and incoprporating more play into my life. I get out with my husband and kids after dinner and we play football or chase each other. But I agree, there's always SOME stress and I'm trying hard to let go of what I can,
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

I also have Facebook Fan Page! Come join us!

zorba is offline Member
    It is REALLY obvious to me that your belly has changed from june to july. Maybe not the photos from the 6 to the 10th but from the original, without a doubt. Your 'hourglass' is just smaller.

Typically the belly is the last to go, weight loss often happens from the extremities on inward. Stop being so hard on yourself and just enjoy all the mini-victories along the way. Your skin is better, you have more energy, you are healthier inside and your showing it on the outside too. The reality is you are 214 lbs and it has to be stored somewhere! Give yourself more time and enjoy the journey and the health of it.

I am on the same path: trying to lean out my belly (well, as well as being overall just healthier but that goes without saying). I took a before picture a month ago and just took one the other day. I think I am seeing a slight change, but I am not sure. Plus, it has only been a month for me between photos, 8 weeks on primal and only about 3 weeks since I really started to cut back on my fruit intake. My friend, on the other hand, has lost 60 lbs since we both started this journey together (Crossfit in mid-march and Primal for 8 weeks). He has/had a lot more to lose than me and yes, there are times I am wondering if I am doing it right, but I don't have any 'cheats' except for some dark chocolate (no less than 70%) sometimes. I just think it is going to be a slower process for me and I am cool with that.

Take it easy on yourself, stop snapping pictures every week and just keep on keepin' on. Let's see where you are six months from now. I bet you will be happy about where you are at. Stop stressing!
    Last edited by zorba; 07-26-2010 at 05:25 PM.

AndreAnna is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Zorba. You're right. I have faith that no matter what, this is the bets lifestyle for me. And I did stop taking the weekly pics - I had only done it for my mom. Ha!
    I create Whole/Real Food recipes without grain, gluten, or refined sugars! I'm a working mom with two gluten-intolerant kids proving a real food lifestyle isn't hard! Life As A Plate.

I also have Facebook Fan Page! Come join us!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Your body is making major changes! MAJOR! You're gonna have to give up on the scale as suggested... it's not telling you the whole truth... Unless you're using trick photography... it's ALL GOOD!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Okay, Andrea, here's a little hint I just found out about:

If you take pantethine (which is a better version of pantothenic acid, a B vitamin), it's supposed to mobilize belly fat and move it out.

I'd make a few minor changes. I agree that you've made fantastic progress. I think you just need to find a place to settle into where you can enjoy the process.

Don't snack on that apple. For that matter, I'd have breakfast, and eliminate snacking altogether. If you must snack, make it a little bit of meat, cheese, or a couple of nuts. The trouble with the apple (one assumes you NEVER drink fruit juice, I trust?) is that the fructose in it stimulates insulin. You don't want insulin stimulated until your next meal. The pancreas doesn't like being called out during its rest period and asked to produce more insulin. It overshoots. So if you have the apple, have it with a meal.

If you can enjoy the exercise and feel relaxed after it, it's doing the right thing. For Mark's moving around at a relaxed pace, you want to feel good over twenty or thirty minutes. If you feel stressed out, you're moving too fast. Then the "lift heavy things" and the "run really fast" shouldn't last all that long.

Just my opinion, after many years of trying and failing, and overtraining and undereating.

If the damned scale won't move, heave it through the window. Then it'll move!

Allergy shots? Hay fever? I fixed mine by reading "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. Semi-primal, though not entirely. Fixed my leaky gut and ended fifty years of spring misery from hay fever -- completely ended. Amazing change. Two years with hardly a sneeze now. I don't like shots. Immune challenges, makes a lot of demands on your body.

eglue is offline Member
    I'm 100% with lmyers04. 4 times a week of Crossfit is probably overtraining, considering you're chasing around two little ones.

You need to do some serious strength training. Basically include leg presses (largest muscles), shoulder presses, pull downs and rows. You should do you strength training at least once as week.

You are probably doing plenty of exercise but you're letting your body repair and adapt itself to your Crossfit training because you keep breaking down muscles with so much exercise. I would check these guys out: http://www.bodybyscience.net

You're in your 30s, so for women, that means you have grow more muscles to compensate for what you're naturally losing as you age.

That's part 1.

Part 2 is stop looking at the scale and start measuring your BMI. You can get one of those scales that measure roughly electronically through your feet. That's a better indicator of your exercise regiment.

zorba is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eglue View Post
    I'm 100% with lmyers04. 4 times a week of Crossfit is probably overtraining, considering you're chasing around two little ones.
    You need to do some serious strength training. Basically include leg presses (largest muscles), shoulder presses, pull downs and rows. You should do you strength training at least once as week.

You are probably doing plenty of exercise but you're letting your body repair and adapt itself to your Crossfit training because you keep breaking down muscles with so much exercise. I would check these guys out: http://www.bodybyscience.net
    CrossFit addresses all the needs you describe. She is getting a constantly varied, high intense workout during the WOD's. Also typically everyday at CrossFit they will work a 'skill' whether it is deadlifts, shoulder press, squats (back, front, overhead). Pull ups, push ups, and rowing are all prevelant in a week of Crossfit programming.

Is 4 days a week too much? It shouldn't be. It allows for a day of work and a day of rest. One of the great things about CrossFit and why it is so effective is because it IS constantly changing and your body doesn't get a chance to adapt.

eglue is offline Member
    Yeah, not by my book. Crossfit is a lot of wear and tear and giving you body a couple of days of rest between session is not really sufficient. The body needs more like 4 to 9 days of rest, depending on just how heavy of weight regiment you do.

I mean if she enjoys doing Crossfit, then fine. But building muscle should be her prime directive and for that I'm saying there is a better regiment.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast