Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article about Massai Lunch page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Interesting Article about Massai Lunch

Primal Fuel
    Saw this article today and thought it was kind of a fun read and fit in nicely here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/Rite-of-Passage

Notice how important the fat is

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Thanks.

I noticed the liver was eaten raw, too, which many peoples seem to do.

She doesn't say what the Moran did with the "Several pounds of masticated greenery, still damp with bile, [which] were extracted from the stomach". I expect it went in the broth, since she says "this broth is prized for its medicinal value because any nutrients the sheep consumed are transferred to it [as it] cooks".

I didn't think of that, Lewis, but I think you are right about the broth. It doesn't really sound like my cup of tea (wakka wakka) but it's very interesting to consider!

foodaddict is offline Member
    I love articles like this. Great post.

I am very interested in the way isolated societies eat or did eat. Most of them arent really truly isolated but still eat their traditional diets and dont have much of a western influence.

Other than the Masai does anybody know any other groups that eat their traditional diets? Because for example, the Tokelau in New Zealand no longer eat their traditional diet of coconut and fish. But now have more of a western influence and thus dont eat their traditional diets.

Thanks

It's interesting you mention the Tokelau and their diet because of a couple articles I just recently read regarding their statistics towards Diabetes and Heart Health issues. Basically, the westernization of their diet has led to a completely traceable shift in their amount of diabetes diagnoses and heart failures.

Here is the initial article: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ackground.html

I am still trying to find the one from last month, but I can't seem to locate it ;(

foodaddict is offline Member
    Yep, great article. I read that some article as well and Taubes mentioned it in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories.

But yeah, im very interested in reading about stuff like this.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Lots of vitamin C in raw organs.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foodaddict View Post
    Other than the Masai does anybody know any other groups that eat their traditional diets? Because for example, the Tokelau in New Zealand no longer eat their traditional diet of coconut and fish. But now have more of a western influence and thus dont eat their traditional diets.
    These people would:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese_people

They have resisted contact and have lived the same way for tens of thousands of years. Pretty interesting.

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    U might also look into the indigenous peoples of New Guinea....very primitive.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I tried to tell my family at dinner about how the Masai prove a lot of CW thinking is bogus... they seemed to think that the Masai were adopted uniquely to their diet. My thought process is that if we've been around for say, 1 million years, is it more reasonable to think that we ate one way for 99.9% of the time, then adapted to grains 10k years ago, then the Masai adapted _back_, or is it more reasonble to go with what worked 99.9% of the time?

FWIW, our actual dinner was fresh salad with homemade dressing, green beans, grilled hanger steak, and strawberry desserts. There were also some beans and corn and cake, but I think my message is sinking in subconciously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast