Thread: Overdoing the butter? page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

Overdoing the butter?

Primal Fuel
    So, butter has become a staple food for me in the last several months. I use it liberally when cooking meats/veggies and put it into just about everything. I've found adding butter to food is a good way to beef it up and make it more satisfying. I've eaten more than half a stick a day on several occasions.

I'm worried I might be overdoing it. I don't have a dairy sensitivity (at least that I can notice) and I'm near optimal body composition... I'd guess around 10% bf. I'm not worried about the excess calories so much, but rather the nature of dairy fat itself compared to strict paleo fats. Although, I'm slowly attempting to drop some more bf to really get that six pack out there.

Assuming that I don't have problems with dairy, is it alright to eat this much butter? Other than occasional cheese, it's about the only dairy I eat at this point.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Assuming that I don't have problems with dairy, is it alright to eat this much butter?
    It seems that (besides lactose) one form of one particular protein can cause problems:

Milk consists of three parts: 1) fat or cream, 2) whey, and 3) milk solids. For this story we are only concerned about the milk solid part, as the fat and whey don’t have this “devil”. The milk solid part is composed of many different proteins which have their own names, lactose, and other sugars. It is the protein part of the solid we’re interested in. One of these proteins is called casein, of which there are many different types, but the one casein we are interested is the predominant protein called beta- casein.

As you may or may not know, all proteins are long chains of amino acids that have many “branches” coming off different parts of the main chain. Beta casein is a 229 chain of amino acids with a proline at number 67 – at least the proline is there in “old- fashioned” cows. These cows with proline at number 67 are called A2 cows and are the older breeds of cows (e.g. Jerseys, Asian and African cows). Some five thousand years ago, a mutation occurred in this proline amino acid, converting it to histidine. Cows that have this mutated beta casein are called A1 cows, and include breeds like Holstein.
    http://fourfoldhealing.com/2009/03/1...09-newsletter/

Butter is OK from that point of view, because it lacks the milk solids. There's a tiny amount remaining, so I guess if you were worried about it (or noticed some symptoms) you could clarify the butter or buy clarified butter (sometimes sold under the Indian name ghee/ghi):

http://www.ochef.com/69.htm

That's arguably worth doing for cooking, at any rate, since clarified butter has a higher smoke point.

Cheese? I guess it's best to buy cheese from A2 cows. In practice that means buying cheese from producers who use traditional dairy breeds - French cheeses for example:

Consider French cheese – mostly due to culinary snobbery, the French never accepted these A1 breeds of cow, claiming they have lousy milk.
    Or eat goat's cheese or ewe's milk cheese instead.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-26-2010 at 01:39 AM.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for this information. I guess as long as I'm not gaining weight or feeling symptoms I won't worry about eating this much butter. I do plan to do a dairy free month down the road to see if I feel better, but now is not the time to figure out a new diet regime...got too much going on.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i've recently added butter into our daily menu. i snack on it throughout the day (nutrients are more easily absorbed from veggies when using butter). years ago when i was eating it like crazy, i lost LOTS of lbs. butter is an amazingly nourishing food. it has lots of anti-fungal, viral, bacterial properties etc. just go along with it and back off if it gives ya trouble:-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers