Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal burial page

Harry Guest

Primal burial

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There was a post about primal graves, which wasn't about burial, but got me thinking. There is a movement called green burial - burying people the way it was always done before the funeral industry convinced us to spend $10,000+, mostly to blot out guilt feelings.

A few years ago, my friend and her sister went to arrange the simplest funeral/burial they could for their father, a humble man who wanted to be buried in comfortable old clothes with no fuss. You would not want to be across a negotiating table from either my friend or her sister. They managed to get the price down to $5000. The mortician was horrified that they wanted to bury their father in an old flannel shirt, chinos and slippers.

I once had the honor of attending an American Indian burial. It was way up in the woods. No headstones. The deceased arrived in a plain wooden box in the back of a pickup truck. People got up and shared memories, sometimes in the native language. Then we had a potluck.

i know that many primal folks would say they want to be cremated and their ashes strewn someplace meaningful. That's fine. This is another option. Returning to the earth, often in a preserved natural setting. Sounds good to me.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    In Starhawk's book The Book of Pagan Living and Dying, she tells a story of a funeral pyre in Texas of a man in her pagan community. It was a) beautiful, because it was obvious that his community wanted him to have a meaningful memorial, and it showed in the story, and b) funny, because they wanted to let him lie in state for several days before his pyre, so they used dry ice to keep the body cool and retard decay... and then they had to figure out how long it would take to thaw a two-hundred-and-twenty-pound man so that he *could* be cremated in the pyre, because the dry ice froze him solid. Oops...
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    One of the best things about Jewish culture (IMO) is how they treat and bury the dead. Outside of Israel, they prepare the body by giving it a ritual cleansing, then they wrap the body in a white shroud and the body goes into a simple pine (untreated) casket, which goes into the ground. No frills, no fuss, no wake, no make-up, no clothes to worry about, none of that crap, just the basics. People put on headstones and they can be as simple or as elaborate as people want.

In Israel, it is even more primal. The body goes through the ritual cleansing and is dressed in a shroud, but then the body is placed directly into a grave (no coffin) that is covered with a thin piece of wood (so you are not throwing dirt directly onto the body), and that is it. It was quite frightening the first time I witnessed it, and honestly thought it was callous, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The plaques are also all very similar and generally simple.

I want to be thrown into the ocean with a heavy stone and let the fish/sharks do their work.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    @Griff - that's really funny

There's a forensic entymology body farm I want my body to go to (after they've pulled anything useful out of it). They just put you outside (or in a car, or in a stream, or . . .) and see how the bugs eat you until you're all gone. I figure educating the next generation of forensic scientists is the last bit of good I can do on this earth.

It's not so much that I'm unsentimental, but I find modern funeral service to be - literally - ghastly.

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    @Griff - that's really funny

There's a forensic entymology body farm I want my body to go to (after they've pulled anything useful out of it). They just put you outside (or in a car, or in a stream, or . . .) and see how the bugs eat you until you're all gone. I figure educating the next generation of forensic scientists is the last bit of good I can do on this earth.
    Yes, that's cool too.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Give away my organs, I have no use for them.
    Then dispose of my body one of two ways:
    1) Put my body on a wooden raft, set said raft on fire, launch it into the Gulf of Mexico or Lake Lavon.
    2) Put my body on a "throne" of firewood bundles and a Guinness in my hand. Commence to have a HUGE party of mayhem, fun, debauchery, etc. At the end of the party, set me and my "throne" on fire. Scatter my ashes to the 4 winds so there's no gravesite to visit.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

RogerDeRok is offline Member
    Viking funeral!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Exactly.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Although not economically possible I'd like to be launched off of the earth and into the Sun so you can all enjoy the glory which is me in all eternity...
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    How about the system in Heinlen's "Stranger in a Strange Land"? The body is rendered until it is mostly just broth and all friends gather and enjoy the ultimate communion. As everyone in that book of many years ago would say, "I grok that."

Close to many cultures in our world who "share" in the strength and wonder of the deceased by 'tasting' a bit. Not exactly a luau, but it is cannibalism.

Not for me, but since that is where the term "grok" seems to originate, I thought that someone here might have brought it up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast