Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise From The Ashes page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

Really Quick Primal Journal -- Velocity

Shop Now
    I chose the title I did because I'm fascinated by the phoenix and its death/rebirth cycles. It's safe to say I've made a couple of these cycles in my lifetime, more in the past four years than at any point prior to that!

Anyway, I figured I'd start up one of these things because sometimes, I just need a place to put down my thoughts. I'm horrible at blogging because nobody ever visited any blog I made, but perhaps something like this on a well-traveled forum will get me started in the right direction. I've always been told I'm a good writer, but I like having someone to read the stuff I write!

So, yeah... may as well put some particulars down here for a start.

-- Currently 21 years old.
    -- In about a month's time I'm going to begin my graduate studies here at the University of Miami. I'm in the physics department.
    -- I'm a fan of football (both American and the world's sport), physical fitness, reading, history (especially political and economic), chess (I have an account here, username also Velocity), and myriad other small-time interests.
    -- In the music realm, I like classic rock, jazz (especially Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis), Iron Maiden, and a few other bands (e.g., Pillar, Sonata Arctica, Breaking Benjamin).
    -- I made my switch to a more fitness-oriented lifestyle during my sophomore year of college.
    -- I stumbled across Mark's Daily Apple a few months ago, read a few posts from time to time on the main page, but only really decided to make the plunge into Primal-ism about a week ago.
    -- I don't have pictures at the moment because I'm not a big picture guy. But uhh, I'll see what I can do.
    -- I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercise, though I really need to improve my upper-body strength. My maximum number of consecutive pushups is in the low 30s (I think 33 was my last max), and my max consecutive pullups is only about six. My lower body is stronger; the last time I deadlifted I was nearing 300 as a 1RM (I think I hit 265 for 3 sets of 5 but can't remember). I'm currently adding concepts of Building the Gymnastic Body into my routines, including L-sits, handstands, back/front/elbow levers, and planches further down the road.
    -- I really want to begin gaining here soon once I get my body fat percentage low enough to reveal my abdominals. (I'm also waiting because I'm currently without work and have to budget fairly tightly on food.)
    Last edited by Velocity; 07-27-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Current Primal Activity:

1) Eating a zucchini
    2) Researching farms for beef, pork, etc.
    3) Trolling Craigslist and other sites for chest freezers
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing your story! also....Miami represent! Im up in West Palm Beach, you will find many other south FL primals too

Whoo West Palm! I actually have a friend from school who lives up in West Palm.

This morning:
    1) Hour-long walk.
    2) Had a banana, now about to fix some breakfast (eggs in either olive or coconut oil, some veggies, dunno what else)
    3) Joined a few of the user groups here -- South Florida Grokonians, Primal Buckeyes (I grew up in Ohio), 'Poo-less, Primal Singles, College Primals, Grok didn't need shoes.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Currently chowing down on eight eggs, skillet-fried in olive oil, with two plum tomatoes and about a dozen black olives. With hot salsa on top.

Plan for today is to clean the veggies from the store, find myself a good quality crock pot online, and continue my researching of farm meats.

-- Blaise Pascal

Lift Heavy Things!™

1a) L-sit practice on Jungle Gym Split -- Three holds, all in the 25 second range. Legs were straight at somewhere between 30-45 degrees from the horizontal.
    1b) Inverted Hang practice -- Three holds as well. These are great grip testers. I'm working toward doing back levers, and what I did was get into an inverted hang, tuck knees into my chest, and hold. Also began to tilt my body further around (i.e., bring my back more to the sky), but only a few degrees' worth. Have to progress slowly with these.

Then did L1D1 of SimpleFit. 28 rounds. Surprised I did that many due to my long-standing lack of pull-up endurance. But I got through 28 rounds and the majority of my pull-ups didn't require a kip, and virtually all were from a dead hang. Instead of regular pushups, I did divebomber pushups because regular pushups would just have been too easy. At about round 10 I switched from regular deep BW squats to jumps.

------
    Dinner is soon. Probably a BAS with tuna, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

-- Blaise Pascal

So, started off the day with about a 40-minute walk. Right now I'm sort of swaying in the breeze, so to speak. I originally came back down to Florida for the summer to do some research with a professor in the department -- paid -- but after I'd booked my plane tickets and signed a lease for where I'm living, I get an e-mail saying that the funds were no longer present to do the research. ._.

I've been here nearly a month and a half with no job... and Miami's job market sucks, especially if you're not in some fluff field like advertising, sales, marketing, etc. I've been trolling sites to try and find work, but uhh... nothing has really come through yet even for stuff outside my field. I do have interest from Kaplan (as a test prep course teacher) and have an audition of sorts next week (where I have to wear my current set of dress shoes... ). I know I'll be receiving a stipend once the academic year starts, but I also know that said payments won't begin to kick in until mid-September (yet we start in late August).

Gwargh.

-- Blaise Pascal

Took a 30-minute walk around 11AM. Am now demolishing a BAS -- romaine, green cabbage, plum tomato, red and green bell pepper, broccoli, celery, cucumber, zucchini, black olives, tuna, and balsamic vinegar. Had a few squares of Lindt 85% dark chocolate earlier, that stuff is pure awesome.

-- Blaise Pascal

Laugh of the day...

-- Blaise Pascal

I feel like I'm talking to myself here... eh, what else is new.

Did some practice of bodyweight skills today. Handstands, back lever progression, back bridges and pistol squats (my right side is weaker than my left for some reason - balance is the primary culprit). Before those four, I restarted my campaign to work toward doing a planche. So, following a progression from Coach Sommer -- located here -- I started with frog stands. Talk about a pain in the arse.

1) Can't hold a stand for more than two or three seconds at best.
    2) My right side seems to be bearing more weight than the left for some reason, despite me trying to make sure I'm even. This leads to a lack of balance and I fall over on my right side. (My right arm is my dominant arm, FWIW.)
    3) This is frustrating. -_-

Then I went outside and did this:

1) Back lever progression -- I'm pleased with my effort here today. I did probably seven holds, and nearly all of them were with my face pointed at the ground (knees tucked to the chest). Longest hold was in the 15-second range. Similar to the frog stand difficulty above, my right arm seems to hold more of the weight than the left, but I consciously focused on gripping/clenching/bracing my left arm/hand harder than the right. It seemed to work, too.

2a) Back bridges -- A variety of things. Did one regular back bridge (start laying on the ground, feet and hands flat on ground, then press up), and then a few of those where your feet are xx distance from a vertical object (a tree in my case), and then you bend backward with hands extended to the tree. Then I walked my hands down as far on the tree as possible. Didn't get all the way down (i.e., hands on the ground) on any of them, but nearly so.
    2b) Pistols -- Sets of 3, 4, and 4. All sets were done with right leg going first, since I'm still working on its balance issues.

3) Handstand -- Did three of these, but I was getting tired and my mind wasn't all there. Longest hold was about 40 seconds, that was the first one, and I had one foot away from the wall for part of that time. The other two were around 30-35 seconds with both feet on the wall.

Now I'm all showered up, and about ready to fix dinner.

-- Blaise Pascal

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast