Thread: Bacon good or too processed? page

shadgal is offline Senior Member

Bacon good or too processed?

Primal Fuel
    Just a thought really as lots of people on this forum love their bacon. I do too but only eat it once a week as good quality and free range is quite pricey here. Anyhow yes we do all try to stay clear of 'processed' foods but isn't bacon highly processed at the end of the day? ok some are just dry or salt cured, some have nitrites in them to keep them pink looking (debatable whether this is harmful), some have other strange things added, but at the end of the day is it a healthy choice? or should we just eat in moderation (not worried about the fat of course). Would be interested to know what other people think.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I would say if you're not worried about nitrites/nitrates then the salt content would be the biggest factor determining how much to eat. I can barely stand the salty taste of normal bacon now that i've been using reduced sodium bacon.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Melody is offline Senior Member
    We buy raw uncured bacon, it's just a really yummy piece of meat. I season it with salt and pepper and maple syrup for my kids.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    I have never been able to find bacon without added sugar, whether it be maple syrup, corn syrup, brown sugar, whatever... and therefore haven't eaten bacon since I've gone primal. What is up with that?
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

RogerDeRok is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodini View Post
    I have never been able to find bacon without added sugar, whether it be maple syrup, corn syrup, brown sugar, whatever... and therefore haven't eaten bacon since I've gone primal. What is up with that?
    Do you have a King Soopers, Smith's, or Kroger nearby? There is a Kroger brand of bacon that is Low Sodium and No Sugar Added and is delicious! It's sliced pretty thick too. It runs $3.99/package but sometimes goes on sale for 2 for $5.