Thread: my first try at Kombucha page

Selah is offline Senior Member

my first try at Kombucha

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I have all the stuff I need except I do have one more question. How much vinegar do I put into the original liquid? I am using 3 quarts water and 5 tea bags and 1/2 bottle of KT. I got some great instructions from posters before, but now no one is online and I'm ready to make this stuff.
    Can anyone shed some light on how much vinegar I am supposed to use,please???
    Thanks!

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    I'll ask DH where he got our recipe, but if your in LA I have a scobey that needs a home!

Thank you, Namasteak.
    Gosh I wish I was in LA. I'd love to take a scoby off your hands...so nice of you to offer!
    I am in Texas though.......lolol. Sounds like you have had great success with your kombucha.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I've never put vinegar in mine? Do you have a scoby? You can grow one from storebought or find one on craigslist. What is kt?

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    DH says: We used the Nourishing Traditions recipe but do a constant brew.
    My tips: We use a plain organic green tea (365 brand), white sugar & vinegar in our first starter batch. We use a large jar (link at the bottom) to do the constant brew in, and then once a week fill 3 french lemonade bottles which last the 2 of us for the week. We strain ours through crushed berries & ginger in a piece of cheese cloth.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/regP...&sku=16521159&

RogerDeRok is offline Member
    Man, I would love to try to make my own Kombucha.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Ok, I have all the stuff I need except I do have one more question. How much vinegar do I put into the original liquid? I am using 3 quarts water and 5 tea bags and 1/2 bottle of KT. I got some great instructions from posters before, but now no one is online and I'm ready to make this stuff.
    Can anyone shed some light on how much vinegar I am supposed to use,please???
    Thanks!
    Just a little to make the medium acidic enough to discourage micro-organisms that you don't want. After the first batch, you use some of the previous batch instead. Organic cider vinegar is best.

A recipe I have is as follows:

1 healthy kombucha starter culture
    5 U.S. pints of water
    2–4 teaspoons or teabags
    cup white cane or granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
    In subsequent batches omit the vinegar and use a cup of the "mother tea" (what you made last time) instead.

You've got similar quantities there - not sure what KT is - so about the same, I'd guess. Two tablespoons.

Good luck with it. I've made it in the past, but I find it too much bother.

Wow, thanks for all your replies! I made a goof, it's not KT.it's GT and it is a store bought type of kombucha.
    I ended up using 1/2 bottle GT to 1 cup of sugar to 3 quarts of water with 5 tea bags (2 green and 3 black)
    I got up this morning and looked at it (so excited!) and it is REALLY black. Am I supposed to be able to se through the tea? I did let it boil for quite a while and noticed that it got dark. Hope I didn't ruin it. Any thoughts?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Wow, thanks for all your replies! I made a goof, it's not KT.it's GT and it is a store bought type of kombucha.
    I ended up using 1/2 bottle GT to 1 cup of sugar to 3 quarts of water with 5 tea bags (2 green and 3 black)
    Oh, I see. If the GT is live kombucha then you don't need the vinegar. However, you do need an actual kombucha culture as well - a mushroom, as they're called. You don't mention that. If you haven't got one, you can google "kombucha mushroom" to find a source of them.

The tea should cool a bit before the sugar goes in. If it's not allowed to, I think you get cloudiness. You then allow the tea-water-sugar solution to cool to room temperature before putting the "mushroom" in (or adding the live kombucha starter) - a hot medium will kill it. Here's a walk-through:

http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/ferme...ha_howto.shtml