Thread: how do you measure carbohydrate grams for fruit and vegetables?

how do you measure carbohydrate grams for fruit and vegetables?

Shop Now
    Apologies again if this is covered elsewhere on MDA -but how do you actually measure the grams of fruit and vegetables ? It doesn't seem to be a straightforward measuring of the weight of the food itself - Primal Blueprint - page 89 states that ' a huge salad, two cups of Brussels sprouts, a banana, an apple, a cup of bluberries and a cup of cherries totals only 139 grams of carbs' .

is there a simple equation for calculating number of grams? Maybe I've missed it on the first read-through - Im about 3/4 of the way through this excellent and inspiring book - but there's a lot to take in and I'm sure that I will start again once I get to the end...

thanks in advance for any positive feedback....

Try fitday.com to look up or even track if you are so inclined....

There are lots of small paperback carb counter guides or many online. (Unlike most people, it seems, I always found the print ones easier as I could keep them in my kitchen or dining area.) The number you come up with will depend a lot on whether you are figuring the carb grams with the fiber subtracted already (what a lot of people do who limit carbs do, but not Mark) or not -- just something to be aware of.

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    As mentioned, use www.fitday.com . Fruit there can be counted as ounces of size of fruit, typically. They also have "mixed greens" to which you should add tomatoes and other things. It's all a crap shoot anyway, an approximation is as good as it gets. Fruit carbs (sugars) will vary with degree of ripeness.

I've been measuring a recording my food for most of the last 15 months. If your goal is weight loss, it's a "must" except for a few individuals who seem to be capable of not doing it.

Shop Now
    many thanks to hilltowner, PrairieProf, Marisa, and OnTheBayou for your suggestions - a big help and much appreciated!