Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases?

Hybrid View

Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases?

I'd like to hear stories from those with autoimmune diseases.....specifically how diet has affected your disease.

I guess I'm looking for a little inspiration here.

I have MCTD (like lupus), have been primal since early April 2010, starting at 80% primal now moving up to 99% or so. My least primal part is that I consume dairy, although that is now limited to HWC, occasional full-fat Fage and full-fat cheese once or twice a week.

I'm having fairly consistent flare-ups with fatigue being my worst symptom. I think I started off very hopeful about diet change, maybe a little too optimistic. In the long run, it doesn't matter to me if primal WOE doesn't put me into pure remission because overall I do feel mentally and physically better. But, I'm just looking for some success stories, some positivity, some feeling of community from autoimmune sufferers.

Thanks!!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I'd like to hear stories from those with autoimmune diseases.....specifically how diet has affected your disease.
    My journal has my list of autoimmune issues that have cleared up: psoriasis, celiac, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, as well as markers for lupus and RA and symptoms of sjogrens.

How's your 25(OH)D? How long have you maintained it at an optimally high level?

How much sleep are you getting?
    Good quality sleep?
    Do you snore?
    How much do you weigh?

I finally got my CRP down to .5 last year.

however, this year it was back up to 4.something.....*but* my RA and lupus markers are gone gone gone. *gone*.

I'd been primal for 6 weeks...but more importantly I'd been eating dairy daily (which I wasn't when I got my crp down to .5) *and* I wasn't sleeping and insomnia/poor sleep/inadequate sleep is *extremely* inflammatory.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat in response to to the post "from say_rahhh - I'd like to hear stories from those with autoimmune diseases.....specifically how diet has affected your disease."

I have IPF (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis) and am looking at the Paleo diet and lifestyle as a way to control it. If you have any references, postings, etc. you could share with me I would be most appreciative. I call IPF the Ninja disease. Few see it, know about it, yet it kills as many people each year as Breast Cancer. Really a nasty disease with no known cure and the diagnoses is often confused with other conditions but my research so far says if you can control the autoimmune response you can slow down or stop the diseases progression.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.

Thanks for your response, cillakat. I guess we're the only ones with autoimmune diseases around here..... curious.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-26-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that I really appreciate your dairy info. I'm going to cut dairy (except HWC) entirely as a test..
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Thanks for your response, cillakat. I guess we're the only ones with autoimmune diseases around here..... curious.
    There are lots more around. A few with lupus, sjogren's I think. A bunch with celiac and psoriasis. Maybe board search for some more info.

I'd chalk up the lack of answers to the weekend.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Damn those people with lives!

~Borges

crohns and its improved somewhat. still have flare ups.

Well, I have Hashimoto's and on a blood test a few weeks ago -- the first test of my thyroid antibodies since I was diagnosed about three years ago -- my TPO antibodies are no longer elevated (I think they were initially around 28, normal is <20, mine are currently <10). I've been low carb/grain free/increasingly primal most of the intervening period. I'm one of the lucky ones who was never really symptomatic to start with though. Unfortunately I just had half my thyroid removed because a large nodule that arose as part of the thyroiditis hadn't gone away and was inconclusive on a recent biopsy, but at least it seems like the autoimmune aspect is quiescent for now.

Lucky you at 28 - mine were at 325 when I was first tested in March 2010! My Endo wanted to simply medicate, and I want to find a road to better living. Background: I eat healthy nutritious and most organic food, and I exercise a LOT (something that I am trying now to moderate to be primal). I found a holistic MD who is now my primary, and we're trying things, like taking the wheat out of my diet. Since I eat very little processed flour anyway, this is not a stretch. Next it will be all grains if this doesn't show some improvement - another month before testing to go.

You're not alone! If you can find the trigger to one autoimmune, you can avoid getting additional ones. If you have one , you're very likely to get another unless you find the trigger, and that trigger is most often found in the gut. And likely related to a food allergy.

I'm loving Primal Blueprint - just need ot carve out some time ot finish reading it!

Oh, I didn't want this thread to end! Well, let me make it a little longer:

I have multiple sclerosis. I tried The MS Recovery Diet, but was hungry all the time. I tried the McDougall diet for 9 months last year, and all it seemed to do for me was make me gain weight (I ate grains, beans, vegetables, fruits, no animal products at all). I thought low-carb might be right for me--I tried Atkins a few years ago and felt really good except for the congestion caused by dairy.

So when I discovered the Primal Blueprint, I became extremely excited. Here seemed to be a way that I could maintain my weight AND treat my MS. I've only been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. The exercise is great. I love the food, except, unfortunately, part of what I love about it is dairy such as cream on my fresh blueberries and Parmesan on my vegetables. From reading this thread, I am beginning to see that I should probably cut out all dairy. I'm not eating much (as I did on Atkins), but it's probably more than a person with an autoimmune condition should eat.

A few months ago my doctor found from a blood test that I am Vitamin D deficient, so she put me on prescription-strength D. I am taking 50,000 units a week. I don't see me spending much time in the sun, as it is hard on my skin.

As I said, it's just been 2 1/2 weeks on PB, and I'm still eating some dairy, so it is too soon to see if it has helped my condition any. All I know so far is that I feel good without getting hungry, I am losing the 10 pounds I gained on McDougall's plan, and my new exercise program is highly enjoyable.