Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases? page

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member

Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases?

Shop Now
    I'd like to hear stories from those with autoimmune diseases.....specifically how diet has affected your disease.

I guess I'm looking for a little inspiration here.

I have MCTD (like lupus), have been primal since early April 2010, starting at 80% primal now moving up to 99% or so. My least primal part is that I consume dairy, although that is now limited to HWC, occasional full-fat Fage and full-fat cheese once or twice a week.

I'm having fairly consistent flare-ups with fatigue being my worst symptom. I think I started off very hopeful about diet change, maybe a little too optimistic. In the long run, it doesn't matter to me if primal WOE doesn't put me into pure remission because overall I do feel mentally and physically better. But, I'm just looking for some success stories, some positivity, some feeling of community from autoimmune sufferers.

Thanks!!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I'd like to hear stories from those with autoimmune diseases.....specifically how diet has affected your disease.
    My journal has my list of autoimmune issues that have cleared up: psoriasis, celiac, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, as well as markers for lupus and RA and symptoms of sjogrens.

How's your 25(OH)D? How long have you maintained it at an optimally high level?

How much sleep are you getting?
    Good quality sleep?
    Do you snore?
    How much do you weigh?

I finally got my CRP down to .5 last year.

however, this year it was back up to 4.something.....*but* my RA and lupus markers are gone gone gone. *gone*.

I'd been primal for 6 weeks...but more importantly I'd been eating dairy daily (which I wasn't when I got my crp down to .5) *and* I wasn't sleeping and insomnia/poor sleep/inadequate sleep is *extremely* inflammatory.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanks for your response, cillakat. I guess we're the only ones with autoimmune diseases around here..... curious.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-26-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that I really appreciate your dairy info. I'm going to cut dairy (except HWC) entirely as a test..
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Thanks for your response, cillakat. I guess we're the only ones with autoimmune diseases around here..... curious.
    There are lots more around. A few with lupus, sjogren's I think. A bunch with celiac and psoriasis. Maybe board search for some more info.

I'd chalk up the lack of answers to the weekend.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Damn those people with lives!

~Borges

strom is offline Senior Member
    crohns and its improved somewhat. still have flare ups.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Well, I have Hashimoto's and on a blood test a few weeks ago -- the first test of my thyroid antibodies since I was diagnosed about three years ago -- my TPO antibodies are no longer elevated (I think they were initially around 28, normal is <20, mine are currently <10). I've been low carb/grain free/increasingly primal most of the intervening period. I'm one of the lucky ones who was never really symptomatic to start with though. Unfortunately I just had half my thyroid removed because a large nodule that arose as part of the thyroiditis hadn't gone away and was inconclusive on a recent biopsy, but at least it seems like the autoimmune aspect is quiescent for now.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    You are not the only ones! LOL I've been living with RA since I was 20. I was diagnosed hyperthyroid in 1995 and have had radioactive iodine twice. That worked for awhile, then in 2006 I had to have it removed after regrowth and 'storms'. Totally removed! I began gaining weight immediately again. My youngest was born 1998 and I had already gained a LOT of weight. Previous to thyroid issues I had always been between 115-120 lbs. In 2007 I was at my heaviest close to 200 and had been pumped full of Prednisone since diagnosed (along with all kinds of other nasty stuff!).

The puffiness finally started subsiding in 2008, but I had dropped all medications except thyroid hormone replacement (against my Dr's advice, of course!). Additionally, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Osteoarthritis. Last year I was told I have high cholesterol and ulcers from years of pain medications. (What's one more problem...sigh).

Around June 1st I started eating better and working out. I've since gotten my weight down to 155. I never thought I'd be able to lose weight because of my lack of thyroid (and I read that a lot online, too!). I just got tired of feeling like crap all the time! When I started eating healthier I was eating grains, but only in the way of Cheerios, bran, oatmeal, and Fiber One. I hadn't found this site yet. When I did discover the site, I changed my diet some to eliminate the grains. I had already cut down about 90% on dairy and sugar.

It took about 2 full months before I started to really feel better! Just last week I realized I was totally over-training. I read some more and cut back. Changed things up due to advice on this site. Not only has my energy just recently spiked, but the only aches and pains I suffer now are DOMS! My moods are more stable and upbeat. I still have sleep problems (have for the last 3 years). I feel if I could improve that, I'd have it made!

The only real complaints I have now are one: severe bunions and arthritis in feet (but I just do what I can). And two: I was laid off work last year and am still unemployed. Eating healthy and particularly primal---is expensive!!! I've just recently realized I am not eating enough healthy fat (meats). I just really can't afford it. But all in all, I think I'm doing so much better.

PhDenial is offline Member
    I also have autoimmune disease....Ankylosing Spondylitis. Hypothyroid suspected Hashimoto's. I am pretty sure I have IBS, too. I am trying to go grain/bean/starch/sugar free in response to my latest flare which has caused me a lot of joint pain in places that were previously unaffected.

I'll let you know how it goes. I've only been doing primal for 7-10 days. I think there's some improvement in my elbow, but it's hard to say at this point for certain.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Hashi's... It's not been horrifying in the last year... so, I can't report yet. I also have twins that have kept me awake for years. So, now as I embark on more restfull nights, I'll have a better idea... here's hoping! (if nothing else, I hope my spelling improves. The brain fog has made me NOT smarter than a 5th grader!)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast