Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases? page 8

tanyahk is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So thankful for this thread! Hate that so many people have so many stories about their issues... wish no one was on it but me, but nice to have a group that can help and understand what we go through!

I have MS since Feb 2008. Been primal for a few weeks now (was primal for maybe 2 months in Sept of 2010 but wasn't really doing it properly, not eating any fats!) and adjusting very slowly. Gaining a good amount of weight primarily because I am eating too many carbs WHILE eating fats... yes, I'm working on cutting down the numbers and figuring out how to do this exactly!

Biggest issues have been fatigue, horrible memory loss, and lack of bowel movements... and when I say lack, I mean non-existent! The fatigue is ALOT better which I'm thankful for, I've stopped taking my "stay awake" medication. I'm also sleeping alot better and longer so I'm no longer taking my Valium to "put me to sleep". The memory loss is still going strong as are the bathroom issues...

I read through this email chain and saw that alot of people were cutting out dairy... I still include it and have been planning to stop after I get through what I have left in my fridge... seems to be a good plan. I'm hoping that will help how I'm feeling in general.

I will say that even with the weight gain the thing that keeps me here (even though weight loss is my main goal!) is that I just feel better eating this way, and when you feel bad most of the time, you can't ignore when something just makes you feel good.

Thank you to everyone for sharing - those of you with MS that can give me tips, ideas, tricks or just a good story, please do!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    About the dairy.... I don't know if I could have cut it out early in my PB WOE adoption. At first, I was adamant about gluten grains, then all grains, then processed foods, then sweets, then beer, then dairy, next....? All of this over 8 months (and counting, will be paleo-ish for life), and I tell you this because making all the changes AT ONCE (or very early in the process) I think might have been overwhelming. It's kinda like boiling a frog. Start easy and slow, and each time that part is manageable, add a little more.

As for me, cutting out dairy, I did it hardcore for 30 days. But meh. I didn't notice any changes, except weight loss. When I added it back in a skosh, I got a few pimples but that was it. After cutting it out for 30 days, though, I can say that I didn't really miss it. Now I just use butter (3x week average), and maybe eat cheese if it is on a salad or included in a meal when I eat out. Dairy, I can live without it now, quite easily.

And words words words.

Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

aktres is offline Senior Member
    This is a highly informative thread that deserves a regular kick. I've just been reading through it while quizzing my mother who is visiting. I wanted to know what meds she's on. Well, they are too many (she is 75). A statin for cholesterol (pravastatin), thyrosin (?) for "low" thyroid, prevacid for reflux, sulfasalazine for RA, and two blood pressure meds that she can't remember, plus something for urology issues. When I suggest diet could address some of this she is unimpressed. She feels okay taking her meds, so why deprive herself of toast? At least I am learning how to avoid her path. My younger sister already suffers from RA and reflux. I'm sure eliminating gluten,, at the very least, would be of immense benefit, but they are not interested in doing any reading. So pleased that all of you are making such positive changes, and wish I could make my family members see the light, but I guess the best I can do is take care of my own health, because the alternative is evident. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for all the good info.

uberbulldog is offline Junior Member
    I too am off my crohns meds due to my paleo diet and maybe my Vitamin D supplementation. Also very important for me w the diet is the complete absence of sugar and wheat. Hang in there!

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Bump

A week without dairy/grains/nightshades/nuts and eggs and my psoriasis has gotten a lot better.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah! My kid sister has horrific psoriasis. I've told her time and again about grains (if she could just start there!) but her response is it's her comfort food. Sooo frustrating.

Glad to hear your psoriasis is better!!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Bump

A week without dairy/grains/nightshades/nuts and eggs and my psoriasis has gotten a lot better.
    I am glad to hear this! I am no dairy/grains/nightshades/eggs but have kept nuts in. I think this has motivated me to try a couple weeks without nuts too. Congrats on the success!

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I am glad to hear this! I am no dairy/grains/nightshades/eggs but have kept nuts in. I think this has motivated me to try a couple weeks without nuts too. Congrats on the success!
    Thanks! the diet is boring but it hasn't been that tough. It's an amazing feeling when it starts getting better.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I've been on primal for a few weeks now and just got my first normal TSH and Free T-4 test. That's all the endo usually checks. I'd be really curious to see a thyroid antibody test, though. Plus I've lost a bit of weight. It's the first time I've been able to shift anything since going seriously hypothyroid a few years ago. The best I was able to do was stop gaining. And that took basically being hungry a lot of the time. To be able to actually lose some weight without killing myself is amazing to me. I still have a bit of myxedema but I understand that can take some months to return to normal. My basal temperature is 97.8 up from 97 or lower and I'm not cold all the time.

elaina is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to the board. But I've got various auto-immune issues like Iritis, Colitis, terrible insomnia (which I believe is just another form of inflammation-for me at least), and undiagnosed problems in my 'female' region. Doctors can't find anything abnormal but to me, it's just all a chain reaction to the inflammation happening in the body.

I've only been primal a few days now, so I can't say if it's helping BUT years ago I was 100% primal without knowing what it was. I did Elaine Gottshalls diet for intestinal disease which is basically primal and everything cleared up! I mean, no insomnia, my periods/pms regulated on it's own, the colitis symptoms went from being debilitating to almost non-existent ( I say almost because I ate a lot of cheese and homemeade yogurt and dairy and me do not mix well ). I'm sure there is much more that happened on the inside that I don't know about but I can say I felt well .. for the first time in many years. I stumbled upon primal because I never feel well anymore and I keep having mysterious pains and sickness all the time. I NEED to stick to primal .. feel like my life depends on it.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast