Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases? page 3

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There are several books that promote gluten-free and casein-free dietary regimens for relief from autoimmune disorders.

An Australian physician, Chris Reading, used dietary interventions including GF/CF and reported good success in over 100 lupus patients:

Trace Your Genes to Health: Use Your Family Tree to Guide Your Diet, Enhance Your Immune System and Overcome Chronic Disease by Chris M. Reading MD and Ross Meillon (Paperback - Apr 20, 2002)

One of the more incredible accounts of an individual is that of Roger MacDougall, a British playwright and attorney who was severely disabled with MS and who worked through the science in a pre-internet era to conclude that what is essentially a Paleo type diet was essential to recovery. He made a full recovery, but had the astounding persistence to continue on his regimen with no improvement for four years before he started noting improvement. It seems that longer standing cases of autoimmune disease are slower to resolve. His account may be found at this link:

http://www.direct-ms.org/rogermcdougall.html

There is a good book including the accounts of others who have tried what is essentially MacDougall's approach:

The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith Bachrach (Paperback - Sep 20, 2007)

More recently, integrative rheumatologist and researcher Alexander Shikhman, MD, PhD, wrote a book that reports his considerable success with lupus patients, as well as others with multiple autoimmune issues:

Gluten Nation: The Alarming Role That Gluten Plays in Arthritis, ADHD, Autism, Bipolar Disorder, Cancer, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia and Other Ailments by Alexander Shikhman MD, PhD, Jacqueline Townsend Konstanturos, and Mary Lyons Collard (Paperback - 2009)

Dr. Shikhman practices integrative rheumatology in Del Mar, California. I've heard very favorable reports from patients who have traveled to Del Mar to consult him. Rheumatologists who understand the role of diet and especially gluten and dairy in promoting autoimmune seem to be very, very rare. Here is his link, possibly worth a visit if someone with autoimmune is not too far across the country:

http://www.ifsmed.com/

Frankly, I've purchased dozens of these books and passed them out to numerous autoimmune sufferers, especially those deep in the grip of autoimmune diseases such as lupus, Sjogren's, and MS, as well as autoimmune thyroid disease and autoimmune hepatitis. Very few have been willing to seriously try the dietary changes involved. Or to apply the strictness that seems to be necessary for success when an adaptive immune response is involved.

For those few who have been willing to incorporate the strict dietary regimens, which means 100%, not 98% or 99%, the results have been outstanding. Long term and apparently complete remissions. With lupus, RA, and autoimmune hepatitis. From significant disability to completely normal function. But so few have been willing to strictly follow the suggested protocols, that it is hard to know how universal their excellent responses are. And those willing to try the approach tended to be those who though they had severe disease, had not had it for as long as some others.

Most success stories seem to involve common elements of strict GF/CF diet, elimination of some other exacerbating foods and factors, and supplementation including Vitamin D, magnesium, and Omega 3.

My own suspicion is that even a tiny amount of occasional cross-contamination from substances like wheat gluten and perhaps casein may prevent or hinder recovery. I suspect that Primal folks who don't have autoimmune have some latitude for "cheating." I suspect that autoimmune sufferers may have none, zero. Working with GF support groups, my best estimate is that of those who describe or think of themselves as gluten free, only one out of four or so is actually avoiding gluten strictly enough to resolve or avoid adaptive immune system health problems.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold as autoimmune sufferers support and encourage each other in pursuing recovery through dietary interventions. I hope a supportive autoimmune community develops and that they have the success reported of the group in The MS Recovery Diet.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-05-2010 at 06:53 PM.

rachel_b is offline Junior Member
    hi, my niece was diagnosed with actinic prurigo on monday, which basically means she's allergic to UV rays (both A and B i think). My sister has spent my niece's entire life taking her to the doctors and hospital referrals for her symptoms but it's taken 4 1/2 years for them to work out what the problem is - on her doctor's notes it says she's had chicken pox 6 times when she's never had it. Apparantly, it mainly affects south americans and people who live at high altitudes, but we live in britain, are white (she has quite pale skin) and we live pretty much at sea level. She suffers all year round with nasty lumps that are itchy which weep and bleed, but it is so much worse in the summer. She has been told to stay indoors pretty much all of the time and my sister has been told to get UV filters for all the windows in the house.
    My niece starts school in September, and she won't be allowed to go outside to play at break or lunch which I find really upsetting.
    I have been speaking to my sister about trying my niece on this diet as I really believe it will help - and certainly she should be taking vitamin d supplements as she isn't really allowed outside anymore.
    In December she will have to go to St. Thomas' hospital in London twice per week for light therapy which they say will either desensitize her body to the UV rays, or make it worse - they can't tell. The final treatment they will try is Thalidamide which I really, really don't want my little niece to take. (I don't know if if was prescribed in America, it was prescribed to pregnant women in the late 1950's, i think for morning sickness, and resulted in birth defects such as no arms or legs in the babies). If she gets put on this medication, my sister isn't even allowed to touch the tablets as she is still at 'child bearing age'
    I want to convince my sister to give this a go first, as no-one wants it to come to that medication, but I could really do with some advice about what my niece should be having (ie. supplements and diet) and if anyone else has got anything like this it would be great to hear how the diet has/hasn't helped.
    Thanks
    x

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel_b View Post
    hi, my niece was diagnosed with actinic prurigo on monday,
    First things first....get this child on vitamin D asap. 400 IU per 10 lbs body weight. A S A P. See my link in the sig line.....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    I completely resolved Crohn's Disease by going strict Gluten Free. No more 18 pills a day, no more pain, no more blood, no more GI visits. I am OFF pharma drugs. When I first started going off gluten, I fasted off and on to rid myself of toxins and heal the gut...then I started adding other foods back in. But no gluten whatsoever. I've had no problems at all. The GI doctor, who, like most doctors in my life, never helped me one bit..must be disappointed since I never have to see him (and pay him) anymore. Oh well. Truth is, you need to research and find out how to heal yourself..because doctors are only interested in you as a customer, not someone who needs help.

strom is offline Senior Member
    How long did it take? I've had Chrohns since 2003 so I don't think it will resolve quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeKING View Post
    I completely resolved Crohn's Disease by going strict Gluten Free. No more 18 pills a day, no more pain, no more blood, no more GI visits. I am OFF pharma drugs. When I first started going off gluten, I fasted off and on to rid myself of toxins and heal the gut...then I started adding other foods back in. But no gluten whatsoever. I've had no problems at all. The GI doctor, who, like most doctors in my life, never helped me one bit..must be disappointed since I never have to see him (and pay him) anymore. Oh well. Truth is, you need to research and find out how to heal yourself..because doctors are only interested in you as a customer, not someone who needs help.
    Great deductions and work on your part! Not easy to come to the necessary conclusions and stick with them when the physicians who are supposed to help are so unaware of these issues and often misinformed.

Most of them want the best for their patients, but there is just nothing in their training or the literature or seminars that they refer to that makes them aware of what you have learned. Diagnostic and educational computer resources tend to be highly underutilized by physicians, probably partly due to time constraints, and with the use of shared information patients can be ahead of the game for years, as you are.

Unfortunately, I must admit, to a large extent Max Planck was right, and we see the truth again and again in his sad quote:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

But if enough astute sufferers like you arrive at protocols that help and share them, not only will others benefit, but eventually the bulk of the medical profession might be embarrassed into recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    How long did it take? I've had Chrohns since 2003 so I don't think it will resolve quickly.
    There is also the possibility that Crohn's in some significant proportion of sufferers has roots in dairy intake. Almost all dairy herds in the US are infected with paratuberculosis bacteria (MAP bacteria, Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis) and ordinary US pasteurization temperatures are insufficient to kill this heat resistant bacteria. The disease is known to cause Crohn's-like symptoms in cows, and we now know that a large percentage of humans are infected with the same bacteria, apparently through dairy intake. The FDA still takes the position that it hasn't been proven yet that humans are harmed by being infected with this bacteria and therefore it must be harmless, i.e. that it may not cause in humans the same disease that it causes in cows. Modern dairy herd practices have all but guaranteed the widespread infection of herds, one cow will eat feed contaminated with diarrhea from another. Then all the milk from all cows is mixed together in central milk tanks ensuring that all product from the facility is contaminated with the pathogens from just about every cow.

Some countries have worked to minimize infection of cows, or to increase pasteurization temperatures enough to kill this widespread bacteria. Not the US, of course. The FDA is waiting for proof. Maybe the dairy council will fund a study sometime soon . . .

That there may be multiple factors that come together seems to be the rule with autoimmune disorders. A dietary component. And infectious component. A genetic component. And a lack of Vitamin D at a certain time in development. Gluten is increasingly implicated in the pathogenesis of many autoimmune disorders. Dairy in the case of Type 1 diabetes, and lack of D as well. So fingering gluten on one hand and perhaps MAP bacteria or other causes on the other hand in Crohn's may not be at all inconsistent.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-07-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel_b View Post
    hi, my niece was diagnosed with actinic prurigo on monday, which basically means she's allergic to UV rays (both A and B i think). My sister has spent my niece's entire life taking her to the doctors and hospital referrals for her symptoms but it's taken 4 1/2 years for them to work out what the problem is - on her doctor's notes it says she's had chicken pox 6 times when she's never had it. Apparantly, it mainly affects south americans and people who live at high altitudes, but we live in britain, are white (she has quite pale skin) and we live pretty much at sea level. She suffers all year round with nasty lumps that are itchy which weep and bleed, but it is so much worse in the summer. She has been told to stay indoors pretty much all of the time and my sister has been told to get UV filters for all the windows in the house.
    My niece starts school in September, and she won't be allowed to go outside to play at break or lunch which I find really upsetting.
    I have been speaking to my sister about trying my niece on this diet as I really believe it will help - and certainly she should be taking vitamin d supplements as she isn't really allowed outside anymore.
    In December she will have to go to St. Thomas' hospital in London twice per week for light therapy which they say will either desensitize her body to the UV rays, or make it worse - they can't tell. The final treatment they will try is Thalidamide which I really, really don't want my little niece to take. (I don't know if if was prescribed in America, it was prescribed to pregnant women in the late 1950's, i think for morning sickness, and resulted in birth defects such as no arms or legs in the babies). If she gets put on this medication, my sister isn't even allowed to touch the tablets as she is still at 'child bearing age'
    I want to convince my sister to give this a go first, as no-one wants it to come to that medication, but I could really do with some advice about what my niece should be having (ie. supplements and diet) and if anyone else has got anything like this it would be great to hear how the diet has/hasn't helped.
    Thanks
    x
    One of the reasons that I began a food elimination trial six years ago was that I had not only GI symptoms, but a persistent longstanding rash that sometimes would weep and bleed a bit and seems to be associated with photosensitivity. Each physician that I saw thought it was something different. I don't have DQ2 or DQ8 genes, so it may not have been dermatitis herpetiformis.

Whatever it was, it disappeared completely with a strict gluten free/casein free diet and has only recurred on those rare occasions when I have accidentally been cross-contaminated with tiny amounts of gluten. If I am accidentally contaminated, the rash recurs in about 24-36 hrs and may take as long as 2 weeks to disappear. So I avoid cross-contamination religiously.

The timing of the recurrences and disappearances suggests that an IgG mediated adaptive immune system reaction is involved. On a strict gluten free Paleo type diet, I have zero problems with the rash and no photosensitivity at all. I can't say whether or not this would apply in anyone else's situation.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-07-2010 at 09:50 AM.

strom is offline Senior Member
    The only dairy I have now is heavy cream. Could that be a problem?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    The only dairy I have now is heavy cream. Could that be a problem?
    Strom, imesho completely omitting dairy would be ideal. As well as having little to no fruit, absolutely positively no grain and very few nuts.

Bone broth, muscle meats, signficant organ meats (incl marrow), plenty of D *from sun*....midday, full body till the point just before a burn occurs are the things that wil be most helpful. iirc, you're in the mid-atlantic/baltimore area? You have a few more weeks where getting D is possible.

Lots of probiotics. Lots.

Digestive enzymes with your food.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast