Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases? page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Vitamin D will play a huge role in resolving the autoimmune issues.... It's importance can not be overstated. I believe that in 20 years we'll know that fetal vitamin D deficiency was the main cause of autoimmune disorders.

Ankylosing Spondylitis
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/scien...ndylitis.shtml

Diabetes (certainly type I isn't curable but D still is important)
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/researchDiabetes.shtml

Inflammatory Bowel Disease
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/scien...-disease.shtml

Multiple Sclerosis
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/researchMS.shtml

RA
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/scien...rthritis.shtml

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

skookum is offline Senior Member
    I was dx'd with Fibromyalgia/CFS 20 years ago. My family all has Ankylosing Spondylitis, tho I don't present the HLA-B27 antibodies, so I didn't get that dx, thankfully! Needless to say, these past 20 years have been hell!

Until the PB, that is. It works for me, and I have been symptom free for months! Not only have I been able to get out of a nasty flare (post cancer-treatment), but I've been able to do things that would always, in the past, have put me into flare. I haven't had a brain-fog in over 6 months. That blows my mind.

I'm not 100% Primal, but I am better than 80%. I find that it's a matter of management. The closer I stick to the PB, the better I feel. The further I slip, the less good I feel. Sometimes, I notice that I've slipped a little too far, and have started to feel just a little tired or blue - and then I know it's time for a fast and lots of rest, and I'll be back in the game in no time. This is NOT how it used to be, on the standard American diet, let me tell you!

I do want to mention, that in my experience, it's not simply the diet. It's about the physical aspect, too. The daily moving around makes a big difference. Initially, I relied on dietary changes to get me back on my feet and able to get out of bed again. Once I was able to move around on a daily (or most-daily) basis, is when I started to see the real change, tho. My rule: NEVER over-do it. Those who are otherwise healthy are much more able to recover than those of us with FMS/CFS/etc. It simply takes us longer.

So here's another voice for the success of the PB in dealing with autoimmune issues!!!

PhDenial is offline Member
    I've recently started taking Vit D...the oily drops. Hopefully that plus daily walks outdoors will help with my arthritis/AI stuff. I've been in flare now for a couple of months...since I was diagnosed with thyroid issues last year, I've never felt as tired or run down. I think that primal living will help turn that around. Also, some rest might help, too. I'm getting more in control of my life and health...stopped saying yes to things that I know will harm me. Sounds easier than it is.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDenial View Post
    I've recently started taking Vit D...the oily drops. Hopefully that plus daily walks outdoors will help with my arthritis/AI stuff. I've been in flare now for a couple of months...since I was diagnosed with thyroid issues last year, I've never felt as tired or run down. I think that primal living will help turn that around. Also, some rest might help, too. I'm getting more in control of my life and health...stopped saying yes to things that I know will harm me. Sounds easier than it is.
    Please test levels though as well. when not getting any reasonable sun exposure, it takes most folks about 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight to maintain D levels. Amounts 3-4x that can be taken for the first month to get levels up quickly.

At least 2x/week, be sure to get actual sun, full body, in a small bathing suit, with no sunscreen, midday to the point just before a burn would occur. B/c I'm vain, I do cover my face, neck, chest, hands and arms meticulously while sunning.

Regarding Vitamin D and RA:

And a lot more.

So. When can you get your level tested?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Selah is offline Senior Member
    I have been diagnosed also with several autoimmune challenges. Hypothyroid,sjogren's, FMS/CFS,MCS and CTD. Plus I have 3 out of 4 positive genes for gluten sensitivity. I actually started lsoing weight with diet and exercise 2 1/2 years ago with W/W. I dropped 50 pounds in 9 months.
    Just a little over a month ago I found out about this website and primal eating. I have been eating PB for 5 weeks. I lost several pounds the first week and then gained it back. I do feel better on this eating plan. My inflammation seems much better and the FM pain is also better. I am waiting now for Spectracell test results. I'm very anxious to find that out as it has been 3 years since I was able to have that test done.
    I agree though that it is what you eat AND how much you move. For me, I need to workout and listen to my body when I try to overdo,otherwise I just end up in bed for several days. I believe that this is the best way for me to live and increase the quality of my life for the future. I learn a little each day from the people here....you gotta love that!

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Please test levels though as well. when not getting any reasonable sun exposure, it takes most folks about 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight to maintain D levels. Amounts 3-4x that can be taken for the first month to get levels up quickly.

At least 2x/week, be sure to get actual sun, full body, in a small bathing suit, with no sunscreen, midday to the point just before a burn would occur. B/c I'm vain, I do cover my face, neck, chest, hands and arms meticulously while sunning.

Regarding Vitamin D and RA:

And a lot more.

So. When can you get your level tested?
    Hi Cillakat!

I live in Canada, in the city that statistically receives the least sunlight of all cities in the country, so I highly suspect I am Vit D deficient. Our docs here have stopped doing the tests because the vast majority of our population is deficient. It's cheaper to just treat with Vit D supplements than to conduct the tests. The issue, of course, is knowing how much and what kind of Vit D...that information is NOT well known by doctors or patients. Thanks for pointing out those links. I did take the white 1000 IU tabs previously along with my fish oil tabs (1-2 daily), but I know that I probably need more and of a different kind. I am now using your forumla 1000 IU per 25lb of body weight. Since I've read that toxicity is hard to achieve with supplements, I'm not in a huge rush to get my Vit D tested, although perhaps I will order one of those kits, if they will deliver to Canada. Thanks for your info!

So Vit D was the missing link for you with all your issues? I share a lot of them btw, (depression and anxiety, too).
    Last edited by PhDenial; 08-02-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Hi Selah,

Congrats on the weight loss! Also had great success with W/W a while ago. And I have not gained back the weight I dropped from that experience. I think I was also hypothyroid/depressed back then. Constantly sick for years.

Not much better now, to be honest.... but trying to get better. I'm hoping that the primal way of life will help me get back to health.

I also agree about movement being important but also, not pushing it. I learned that the hard way. I hired a personal trainer for 5 months in 2009. Did not shed a pound or an oz of body fat. That was before I was treated for hypothyroid and before I started cutting back on calories. I got stronger and fitter for sure, but I was over training. She was pushing me so hard, not listening to me or my body. I was punishing myself into trying to be healthy.

I like how this approach to fitness and wellness is not about punishment but about being natural. My rheumatologist wants me to go on disease modifying drugs....the ones that cut back your immune system. I don't think I'm going to go that route until I give lifestyle changes a chance to work. I don't think over-medicating is the answer for me.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    For me, I need to workout and listen to my body when I try to overdo,otherwise I just end up in bed for several days.
    Yes!

I've got a bunch of issues that include multiple autoimmune problems. I don't want to go into the "organ recital", but I'm definitely in the club here. I'm still new to primal, but it already helps. That provides extra motivation to get and stay with the program. I'm very high on PB right now because I've lost 15 lbs in my first two months and my head is clearer. It's good and my Dr is very happy.

My goals are to get down to 20% body fat and stay there, and to get more functional strength. I don't think I've been below 30% body fat since I was a teenager. It is so, so great to imagine that as being within reach.

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member
    I'm a type 1 diabetic, and my autoimmune system seems to attack in ways the doctors can't (or don't feel like) diagnosing. I had constant gastric distress (constantly swinging from horrifying diarrhea to painful constipation) and my joints were going the way of the dodo. Migraines, constant fatigue, other IBS symptoms, hiatal hernia and GERD...

I'm still settling into this diet, but I can say that going off grains has improved my blood sugars by about 80% -- they usually stay in the "accepted insulin dependent" range of 80-150, which makes me happy. When I'm off wheat, both the hiatal hernia and the GERD symptoms settle down -- I can forget my morning pill for the acid reflux and not get any until its time for my evening pill. My joints are fine now. My energy levels are still weak, but I'm working on adding in vitamins as well

The BM thing is still iffy.... the swings aren't bad anymore, and nowhere near as extreme, but "normal" poop is still a luxury....

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    cillkat: Thank you for the links and your insightful posts!!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast