Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Successes for those with Autoimmune Diseases? page 12

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Hi Corvidae,

I am so thrilled to hear this! My dh has been to doctors. Allergists, Rheumatologists, even cancer blood doctors. They all say nothing's wrong. Yet, something is! Thanks for your input. BTW, I love your footnote. Butter and bacon fat are wonderful!

Gwynn
    Ha, indeed, although as I have learned through a discussion on another post, what butter and bacon fat are NOT good for is avoiding grease stains on my clothes :PpPpP

Anyway, yeah my mom went through years of bouncing between different doctors and different diagnoses. Early on, doctors would just kinda shrug it off and say it was from taking hot showers or connected to menopause. She suspected it was hormonally-related, so she had many thyroid tests done. The doctors interpreted all the thyroid tests as normal, but mom said had to be bullshit because she has had thyroid problems her entire life (radiation treatment when she was a baby, had part of it removed after she had me). Finally a neurologist "diagnosed" her as having peripheral neuropathy, but said there was nothing she could do about it, just take pain meds for the pain. No interest in finding the cause of it or anything. She on her own set out to try and find ways to treat it, dealing with naturopaths and allergists and such, which never really helped a lot but it made her feel like she was at least doing something about it, which is more than regular medicine was doing.

When paleo/primal made such huge improvements for me (besides losing weight, my depression and anxiety evaporated) I was dying to get her to try. I gave her Wheat Belly because its both well-researched yet approachable (unlike Good Calories Bad Calories, which I love because im a scientist but friends of mine have had trouble slogging through it). After reading it, she had high motivation to at least give gluten-free a try, and when she made improvements right away she was sold. I almost cried with relief when she said how well it was working for her.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    I am thrilled she found such success! You too! I am so sick of doctors. They're attitude most of the time is, "You're just getting older." "These things happen when you get older." No in-depth questions. All of my dh's health problems started with a bang in 2005. Dry mouth, constipation, the peripheral neuropathy. Well, my dh was 54 at the time, and all of his friends are around that age, and he was the only one that got these problems. It's not just about "getting older."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    I am thrilled she found such success! You too! I am so sick of doctors. They're attitude most of the time is, "You're just getting older." "These things happen when you get older." No in-depth questions. All of my dh's health problems started with a bang in 2005. Dry mouth, constipation, the peripheral neuropathy. Well, my dh was 54 at the time, and all of his friends are around that age, and he was the only one that got these problems. It's not just about "getting older."
    I don't understand why the hell doctors can't just say "I understand that you are having symptoms, but right now I am unable to identify the cause. We'll keep working at it and follow you over time. I'm sorry that medicine is unable to help you right now'. Why the hell do they insist on making patients feel like shit about themselves. It really drives me mad every time I hear it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Jammies, I don't have a clue. In fact, the blood doctor I spoke about, we don't go to him anymore. He was quite rude when I asked him a question. He literally said "What part of what I was explaining don't you understand?" This was in a very rude and condescending tone. If I had had my wits about me, I guess I could have simply said "None of it!" So, he explained again in a irritated fashion. You're right, they make patients feel horrible about themselves.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Just read thru this great thread. AI issues should take a look at the Leptin Reset thread..Jack Kruse Style over in the primal nutrition forum. It is huge, but reading it and his blogs I have learned so much that augments the PB way of eating/living--lots of stuff buried in the on AI.

Thanks for that information! I'll be sure to check it out.

mandyp is offline Junior Member
    Hey Everyone,

I'm so thankful for this site. It has been life changing to say the least. The PB lifestyle has been the only thing that has made perfect sense to me.

I am 26 and was diagnosed when I was 20 with RA after a torn miniscus. I literally woke up after my second surgery (first one never healed) and my entire body was swollen, and I haven't had relief since. My knees are pretty damaged, and I am worried I might not ever be the same. I do not have health insurance. My only relief is through diet at this point.

I am about 2 weeks PB, and 1 week I did a vegan, gluten, dairy free cleanse called Kaeng Raeng.

While my energy is completely up, and my sleep pattern has been slightly regulated... (I was hardly sleeping at all) I haven't seen significant changes in the inflammation. I know I am only two weeks in, but I am wondering if I am doing something "wrong".

I do a smoothie with coconut oil, greens, banana, and berries in the morning and snack on berries throughout the morning. I eat wildcaught fish/grass fed redmeat primarily with salad (balsalmic or limejuice dressing) or sauteed leafy greens on the side for lunch/dinner and handful of almonds. I do eat hardboiled eggs or have eggs in the morning along with bacon. I dabbled in paleo cookies with honey, but failed miserably but am thinking of trying again. I don't count my intake of food because it's complicated & the online fitness logs seem tedious. I just simply eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I also supplement with 1500-2000mg of omega 3's & standard process Multizyme digestive enzymes. This has been my main routine diet for two weeks...

I have read that eggs aren't OK, I have read eggs are ok. Same with honey. I am pretty confused on what is really the cultprit. Sugars (as in fruits) ok? I do not eat eat nightshades.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a definitive diet plan I should be following, am I doing something wrong, or am I just impatient? I believe in this and am sticking to it 100 percent.... Just a little friendly insight and encouragement would be nice since everyone around me can't seem to understand.

Thanks!

Mandy

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandyp View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm so thankful for this site. It has been life changing to say the least. The PB lifestyle has been the only thing that has made perfect sense to me.

I am 26 and was diagnosed when I was 20 with RA after a torn miniscus. I literally woke up after my second surgery (first one never healed) and my entire body was swollen, and I haven't had relief since. My knees are pretty damaged, and I am worried I might not ever be the same. I do not have health insurance. My only relief is through diet at this point.

I am about 2 weeks PB, and 1 week I did a vegan, gluten, dairy free cleanse called Kaeng Raeng.

While my energy is completely up, and my sleep pattern has been slightly regulated... (I was hardly sleeping at all) I haven't seen significant changes in the inflammation. I know I am only two weeks in, but I am wondering if I am doing something "wrong".

I do a smoothie with coconut oil, greens, banana, and berries in the morning and snack on berries throughout the morning. I eat wildcaught fish/grass fed redmeat primarily with salad (balsalmic or limejuice dressing) or sauteed leafy greens on the side for lunch/dinner and handful of almonds. I do eat hardboiled eggs or have eggs in the morning along with bacon. I dabbled in paleo cookies with honey, but failed miserably but am thinking of trying again. I don't count my intake of food because it's complicated & the online fitness logs seem tedious. I just simply eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I also supplement with 1500-2000mg of omega 3's & standard process Multizyme digestive enzymes. This has been my main routine diet for two weeks...

I have read that eggs aren't OK, I have read eggs are ok. Same with honey. I am pretty confused on what is really the cultprit. Sugars (as in fruits) ok? I do not eat eat nightshades.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a definitive diet plan I should be following, am I doing something wrong, or am I just impatient? I believe in this and am sticking to it 100 percent.... Just a little friendly insight and encouragement would be nice since everyone around me can't seem to understand.

Thanks!

Mandy
    I cant analyze this in detail, but my opinion based on this superficial evidence would be to try just egg YOLKS, not egg whites (ive heard from other places on the board that egg whites have more issue-causing chemicals in them, and theyre not the most nutritious part anyway) and reduce the fruit load, at least for awhile to let your body start to reset. Also, vitamin D and B are my favorite vitamins of the moment, since I have mood issues. You might try adding in some of those in supplement form.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

huckie is offline Member
    Hey, Last year I found a lump on my chest and it turned out to be early stage breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy to remove it and all was successful, however the cancer was a grade 3 which is super aggressive.
    I then started researching and discovered the link between sugar and cancer and how cancer cells need sugar to grow, why wasn't I told this upon diagnosis? I was eating a bucketload of sugar and carbs a day and had no clue I was feeding the cancer. After surgery they tried to convince me I needed chemo, radiation and hormone therapy but I refused, I couldn't treat my now healthy cancer free body with toxins that have been shown to possibly cause other cancers and I wont even take hormonal contraceptives so taking hormone drugs was totally out and at the time I was still breastfeeding. I did so much research and stumbled upon cordains work and then found a 3 day sugar detox which I did (excluded all grains but allowed beans and pulses) then just before the end of that I found MDA. I don't have any grains at all, I limit my fructose and might have fruit 3-4 times a week, I rarely eat starchy veg, I bake with xylitol or erythritol as both don't feed cancer cells unlike honey which I would prefer to be able to use.
    Anyway I am now 7 months post surgery, I feel great, I look better than I have in years, I am healthy, I sleep well, I eat well and I train well.
    I have just given up dairy for February, I used to have double thick cream in coffee and cook with butter, but now I've switched to ghee and am going black with the coffee.

dancermom09 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am an autoimmune survivor! I have always figured out my own diagnosis from the internet(!), then gone to the doctor for confirmation. Ten years ago it started with chemical sensitivities, which I basically got over by changing my environment and my diet to be chemical free. I was in my late 40s and pretty sure I was going to die.

Last year I figured out that I have Sjogrens, subsequently confirmed by my RA. I have been low carb for two years after realizing I had Type 2 diabetes, now migrating to Primal. Lost 30 pounds, and there I am stuck but I'm ok with that. I do feel out of place when I visit Sjogrens discussion boards because I'm just not suffering that much. When I talk about how I think my diet helps, no one seems to want to hear it.

I suffer from very dry eyes and mouth, and the only thing that might help that is a move to a more humid climate. We live in the NM high desert, less than 15% humidity. I feel better in CA and FL, don't even need my Restatsis! It's a long term goal.

Now, after reading this board, I think most of my aches and pains could be explained by a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis. Can't tell you how many doctors I have seen about the pain in my hip sacs, and the moving pain in my back. They of course, offer no help. Well, one offered me shots (no thanks!). It is managed most days by my diet, and when it gets bad I take ibuprofen. I do think it is helped by walking and the resulting endorphins, and by doing squats!

I have plenty of opportunity for sun here, but since I take one Placquenil a day I'm not sure I should sunbathe. I take Vit D drops, fish oil, B vitamins, magnesium, and use coconut oil every day.

Forgot to mention, pretty sure I was in early dementia a couple of years ago. The doctor actually helped me with that one, I wasn't getting enough oxygen at night to get good sleep. The very high altitude here has something to do with that. Anyway, adding the coconut oil seemed to help too.

I hope this thread will keep going, or maybe we should start a support thread. I think we could learn a lot from each other.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast