Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Beef VS Grassfed?? page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Natural Beef VS Grassfed??

Primal Fuel
    I found a local farm that says natural beef NO growth hormones NO antibiotics. Just looking for thoughts? Obviously better than mass produced injected beef.
    http://www.maplelanefarmsmaine.com/index.html

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    For me, it is more important that my beef isn't eating grains - I want to be Primal and that means I need my food to be primal too.

However, you do what you gotta do so any step in the right direction, away from mass produced farming (which leads to short cuts and problems in our food supply) is better than nothing. I can't always afford grassfed everything so then I just make sure the rest of my diet makes up for it.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    There is evidence that grass-fed beef has a whole host of health benefits that grain-fed does not. There is no evidence that hormone or antibiotic use has any effect on health.

You be the judge.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    There is evidence that grass-fed beef has a whole host of health benefits that grain-fed does not. There is no evidence that hormone or antibiotic use has any effect on health.

You be the judge.
    Thanks for that info, I was unaware of that.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    If I had the cash, all my beef would be grass-fed. But since I'm a po' boy I rarely spring for it. I believe that the amount of leverage you get from switching from, say, fast food hamburgers and beefaroni to grain-fed steaks, roasts, and organs is much greater than switching from grain-fed to grass-fed. But the benefits of grass-fed will likely show up in the long-term.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

The way I look at it is "natural & grass fed beef" which I'm sure is fed grain but is raised on a small farm must be better than conventional beef. Obviously 100% grass fed would be best but I am having a hard time finding that locally. Not to mention the $$$ involved.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marktripp View Post
    The way I look at it is "natural & grass fed beef" which I'm sure is fed grain but is raised on a small farm must be better than conventional beef. Obviously 100% grass fed would be best but I am having a hard time finding that locally. Not to mention the $$$ involved.
    +1

Can you ask the farmer what proportion of the diet is grain / concentrate? It could well be less than you think e.g. only in winter

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    +1

Can you ask the farmer what proportion of the diet is grain / concentrate? It could well be less than you think e.g. only in winter
    I have a e-mail into them right now.

Well fellow PB’ers I figured I would share ok flaunt the most recent phone call I got. I have been searching hi and low for the best deal possible on grass fed. I got a phone call today from one guy that I called. He has a calf that was born and put out to pasture; he normally pulls them in 1 month before slaughter and pounds the corn to them. When I showed my disappointment in this and stressed I really wanted all grass fed, grass finished he said ok, I’ll try it. This calf has had no grains and should be around 6-800lbs he said. Oh wait it gets better!!! I was at work riding back from a call in the fire engine so it was kind of loud and I asked the million dollar question, “so how much a pound?” I almost fell over when he said 1.00 dollar a pound, I asked him twice and yup I heard right!! WOW! So now I just got to wait till fall and I will be munching on some great beef!!!

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    That is so great! I would go seriously go straight out tonight and buy a big chest freezer if someone offered me fully grass-fed beef for a dollar a pound. Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast