Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alcohol prevents fat loss, b/c alcohol is such as easy fuel to burn. page

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member

alcohol prevents fat loss, b/c alcohol is such as easy fuel to burn.

Shop Now
    I read that alcohol prevents fat loss, b/c alcohol is such as easy fuel to burn.
    What it on MDA?
    Anyone got a link to elaborate/explain this in more detail?

Sally is offline Member
    This post http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/ is helpful in answering that. The basic gist of it: your body will burn alcohol fuel first, so will burn that before fat - but he also says your body doesn't get the blood sugar spike from alcohol as it does from other carbs, which is interested. Anyhow, it's a great post in full.

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sally. I also found this:

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...ch/alcohol.htm
    *A small portion of the alcohol is converted into fat.
    *Your liver then converts most of the alcohol into acetate.
    *The acetate is then released into your bloodstream, and replaces fat as a source of fuel.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
    By far my favorite article at Leangains.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Seems like a bit of a red herring. Why discuss the thermic effect when that has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight? They don't call it alcoholic fatty liver disease for nothing. Wouldn't it behoove someone writing an article about alcohol and fat loss to discuss what it does to organs vital to the metabolism? Just saying. Martin is looking a bit haggard. How old is he?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Do you drink alcohol at all Stabby? Do you disagree that small quantities Martin discussed for health benefits are false? Stephan was just tired again when he posted similar stuff?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Stephan's article

Should we all start downing three drinks a day? Not so fast. Although alcohol does probably decrease heart attack risk, the effect on total mortality is equivocal. That's because it increases the risk of cancers and accidents. Alcohol is a drug, and my opinion is that like all drugs, overall it will not benefit the health of a person with an otherwise good diet and lifestyle. That being said, it's enjoyable, so I have no problem with drinking it in moderation. Just don't think you're doing it for your health.
    Nobody needs to drink alcohol to protect their heart if they eat properly. All of this stuff like chocolate, tea, wine, etc is only a good thing in a bad situation. Take the junk food out of the diet and there is no need for any of it .A little glass of wine may not be so bad, the poison is in the dose, if someone can stick to one little glass of wine that is. Ha.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post

Nobody needs to drink alcohol to protect their heart if they eat properly. All of this stuff like chocolate, tea, wine, etc is only a good thing in a bad situation. Take the junk food out of the diet and there is no need for any of it .A little glass of wine may not be so bad, the poison is in the dose, if someone can stick to one little glass of wine that is. Ha.
    Of course nobody needs to drink. Well, maybe some people with sticks up their asses need it, but that's another issue I guess.

Alcohol in small doses is quite normal in healthy society. You make it sound difficult. I have less than a drink a week, mostly because I forget how beneficial a drink here and there can be. Stephan ended his article contemplating things over a glass of whiskey.

I believe people who try to maximize health through every last detail will stroke out much earlier than those who enjoy great health and laughter with occasional festive inputs like alcohol. I don't even begrudge you the wild drugs you promote from time to time.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    red wine, chocolate..........this stuff is paraded around like health food. Im still a skeptic on polyphenols/antioxidant power.......I think its a big markenting scam for the most part, but I also admit that it could be true to some extent too, so I enjoy my red wine and chocolate for sure.

however, for a lot of people, 1 glass of wine here and there is simply not possible. It eventually turns into 2 glasses maybe 2-3 times per week.....something decidedly unhealthy in my opinion. I have great self control in this arena, however, and I have 1 glass of wine maybe 2x per month. I enjoy it, and if its helping my heart in any way, yay for that. But I think labeling wine as heart healthy opens the door wide for those who are incapable of consumming responsibily and conservatively......not to mention, if you have a lofty weightloss goal, simply abstaining from all alchohol is the best, and easiest, way to reach it. People just dont want to admit this.

However, optimal health and optimal wellness are blurred lines. If someone has a fulfilling life drinking more than I think one should drink, and also has a healthy diet the other 90% of the time, who am I to say that person's lifestyle is unhealthy? I find happiness in limiting these foods. It makes them more special to me, so that is my own wellness there.

Also, Martin's goals are largely focused on physical appearance, not longterm health, somethng that we need ot keep in mind whenever we say "well Martin does x or y...."
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-25-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast