Thread: Water filters page

kermie is offline Member

Water filters

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone use reverse-osmosis filters to clean their drinking water? It seems that all of the chemicals that they put in the water are probably just as bad as the hormones and pesticides in conventional food, especially fluoride. Does anyone have a model that they recommend? Also, how about filters for the shower that don't affect water pressure? Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I have an RO filter for my drinking water, and am REALLY glad I do, for myself and my pets -- it's the only thing that gets out fluoride (which my city adds) and which I think it really bad stuff. I had a local company install it though so I can't tell you about models -- it wasn't cheap (and requires periodic filter changes). I'd get a whole-house filtration system if I could afford it -- one of these days.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    i have one on my fosset, i use it for drinking water, and for my parrots.

kermie is offline Member
    How much did the reverse osmosis filter cost you? How much room does it take up under the sink? I am considering in investing in one, but I plan on moving to NYC in the spring. Are they easily portable?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    remember to add good quality sea salt or trace mineral drops to it. we also get ro water and recently found out that it leaches minerals right out of the body. i honestly don't know how true this is but it seems valid enough to look into.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i have one on my fosset, i use it for drinking water, and for my parrots.
    What kind of parrots? I have an african grey who is screaming his head off right now?

I have been thinking of getting a reverse osmosis filter too because we get our water from a well and it has some arsenic in it. We have to buy bottled water that goes through a huge reverse osmosis machine. I am also interested in how much room they take up.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Frankly I think it cost about $1,000+ as installed by the Ecowater service. Plus there is an ongoing cost for filter replacement -- one part needs to be changed every 6 months, I think, and another part every year or so. It takes up a good bit of room under the sink, though there's still room to cram some stuff in around it (and I'm not short on storage otherwise). I'm sure there are cheaper methods, but unless you really are experienced with plumbing it's not a DIY job -- I'm a single female and more than happy to have someone else take care of it for me, call me when the filter changes are due, etc. Still feels worth it to me every time I drink or cook, and I rarely buy bottled water anymore except when traveling, so I save money there. Sorry, don't know about portability, I have no plans to move -- the gear could be transported, but I'm not sure uninstalling/reinstalling would be worth it -- if I ever bought a new house I'd probably tout the filter as a selling point and then just get a new system.

This is what's under my sink, and the tap on top (fits where I used to have a sprayer, I do miss that a bit but oh well): http://www.ecowatersystems.org/templ...ts/hero375.jpg
    Last edited by PrairieProf; 07-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    What kind of parrots? I have an african grey who is screaming his head off right now?

I have been thinking of getting a reverse osmosis filter too because we get our water from a well and it has some arsenic in it. We have to buy bottled water that goes through a huge reverse osmosis machine. I am also interested in how much room they take up.
    I've got a female Eclectus, she is totally quiet, i also have a blue quaker that is super-loud, he gets very close to being fed to my snakes, but he is the finance's bird so i cant.