Thread: Buckwheat flour - pancakes, crepes? Suggestions welcomed page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Buckwheat flour - pancakes, crepes? Suggestions welcomed

Shop Now
    So at the farmer's market I bought some buckwheat flour, I read about buckwheat on one of the Primal blogs recently. Apparently it's non-gluten, not even really a grain, complete protein, low GI etc. As floury stuff goes, pretty primal. I am going to make some breakfast treats with it, wondering if anyone has used much buckwheat flour in baking before and if there are any recipe suggestions. My only experience is eating soba noodles. Mom recommended mixing with what flour - nagahappen mom!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I've had buckwheat pancakes. Once they get cold you can use them for roof repairs

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    I use it for pancakes mixed 50/50 (ish) with coconut flour. I think it still has some phytates (?) not sure? hep, see here, recent blog:
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...at-crepes.html

I'm still not into fermenting and stuff yet, that'll maybe come later, but at least buckwheat is a step away from flour and gluten free so it's a good option for the family at this point.

I find it does have quite a strong flavour so mixing it with other flours works well.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    according to nutritiondata.com buckwheat flour has 79% carbs. Besan (chickpea flour) has 61%.
    I generally use besan, even though it is a legume.
    At least, as geekgrrl said... buckwheat isnt a grain and IS gluten free.
    just MHO

I'm not worrying as much about carbs at this point, but thanks for looking! Mixing w / coconut flour sounds like a brilliant idea, I have a bunch of it and no idea how to use it. Will report back in a couple hrs.

I used a standard pancake recipe, but did 1/2 buckwheat flour and 1/2 coconut. Texture was a bit unusual but the taste was fine. I have to say that the bacon and eggs tasted better though!

Actually I couldn't bring myself to make pancakes with this stuff three days in a row - much prefer my bacon, egg, and avocado these days. I might try to use up the stuff making banana nut bread, that would at least have more fat and stuff in it.