Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xanthan gum? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Xanthan gum?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    According to some basic research, Xanthan gum is frequently used as a thickener for recipes that doesn't use flour (would be great for primal pancakes, etc) but I know it's a corn derivative, which I'm pretty sure makes it a PB no-go. However, I know it comes from bacteria that can grow on broccoli and other veggies too, so my question is:

Is xanthan gum a no-go, and if it is, could you explain exactly why?

I'm fine with not using it--but I like to be educated about my dietary choices!

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    The use of xanthan gum could be debated similarly to the use of dairy: arguments could be made for and against it. In my personal view, it is way too processed for my tasted and I stay away from it. Then again, I also avoid fruit and nuts unlike many here. If it does not lead to any detremental effects, use it; if you feel ill after consuming it, it best be avoided.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The paleo version is pig skin gelatin. Mmm, fleshy!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

soror is offline Senior Member
    On the primal diet you shouldn't be eating anything that would have much of it I would think. It is used in gluten free baked goods not as a thickener but as a replacement for the gluten. If one was going to cheat w/ bread I think it would be preferably to do it with a gf bread w/ xanthum than a wheat bread. But then again it seems to me if you are cooking yourself on a primal diet it was be so rare I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Where are you getting all the xanthum gum?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks pp posters--I will probably avoid it, but e advice of "if it makes you I'll avoid it" is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by soror View Post
    On the primal diet you shouldn't be eating anything that would have much of it I would think. It is used in gluten free baked goods not as a thickener but as a replacement for the gluten. If one was going to cheat w/ bread I think it would be preferably to do it with a gf bread w/ xanthum than a wheat bread. But then again it seems to me if you are cooking yourself on a primal diet it was be so rare I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Where are you getting all the xanthum gum?
    i'm not "getting" it anywhere currently--I was interested in using it in my cooking. You can use it with almond and coconut flours, from what I've heard, to bind the ingredients together better. I also know some people make smoothies xanthan that turn out more like soft serve. I'm just interested, not currently consuming.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    i have skipped that ingredient before, adding a small egg in it's place, with no problem. not for yeast breads, but for cakes and muffins. maybe you could try that?

soror is offline Senior Member
    Well, I have never seen it in almond or coco flour recipes- I usually use Elana for almond flour recipes and Fife's for coconut flour as that is the cookbooks I have. I have always had great results w/ both. Never heard of that in a smoothie, that is interesting. I like the texture of what I make fine though.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    it's in the cheapo hot sauce I just bought. that's my 20% right there.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Xanthan gum is fine. Totally and completely fine. It's used in such small quantities that it's a non issue.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Well, I know from experience that a great way to make Gak is by heating up a pot of water and slowly adding in xanthan gum and locust bean gum, then allowing it to cool.

After working for years in the chemistry lab of a pharmaceutical company, I've tested what seems like every single one of the obscure and difficult-to-pronounce chemicals that show up in our food these days. Yeah, it may not be there in much quantity, but I can't eat anything knowing it contains xanthan gum now without feeling like I'm eating Gak.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast