PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

primalmom is offline Member

have you had your thyroid checked ????

PrimalMom

hilary.oitzinger is offline Junior Member

In re: Primal Mom's post

I am a lawyer as well. Too funny. I will respond more to what you wrote later, when I've got more time.

Okay, I will attempt to remember what I ate Fri, Sat, Sun

Fri Au 7 continued

Turkey sausage

1/2 apple

1 c. black coffee

as aforementioned

Lunch

Out

chicken breast, bacon

salad, a little honey mustard dressing, i.e. I dipped the tines of the fork in before spearing salad

Snack

1/2 apple

Dinner

turkey sausage

1/2 avocado

two pieces DARK chocolate, 2.5 g carbs each

My stomach started bothering me significantly and I was VERY tired Fri eve. Think I came down with something

Aug 8

chicken sausage

1/2 apple

Walk 1 hour

1/2 apple

two pieces DARK chocolate

Dinner

at fundraiser

Prime Rib, baked beans, 3 pc. corn on cob

watermelon

a few sips red wine

At movies later

1/2 medium popcorn ACK

junior mints ACK

Sun

queasy stomach, a little black coffee

Some bodyweight stuff

two sets 10 push-ups

two sets 20 squats, 1 set 20 sumo squats

1 set chair dips

(expected to do more later but felt too sick to do so).

brunch with folks

mixed greens

grilled squash and zucchini

tapenade

hummus

1 c. strawberries and blueberries with a few chunks of cantaloupe and fresh pineapple

two sips red wine

two pieces DARK chocolate, 2 g each

Snack

two handfulls cashews

Dinner

chicken sausage

peach

Still nauseous

Aug 10

BF 1/2 apple, 1/2 c. black coffee

Snack 1/2 apple

Lunch?

Ugh

turkey sausage

Primalmom,

I did a low fat junkfood veg thing from age 10.5 to 16. I'm fairly sure all the sugar and refined carbs did me in for both food allergies/intols and hypoglycemia. I can totally hear you on the low fat veg thing. I was also under extreme relationship stress for a long time and law school was no picnic, which I am sure further contributed.

I lost weight doing Atkins in college and pretty much kept it off through maintenance-style low carb until law school: enter stress, and no more low carbing. Then I lost plus some after second year of law school when I cut out wheat and dairy and basically did a lower-carb, lots of healthy fat, semi ovo-vegan thing with walking and moderate weights. Then I went off birth control for six weeks, went back on, and gained 30 lbs. in about 2.5 months. Switched BC, stopped gaining but couldn't lose, then came the bar, still couldn't lose. Passed the bar, started work as a law clerk, and last fall did a whole food version of the low-cal flat belly diet. Lost 16.5 lbs rapidly, which I gained back almost instantly. My exercise routine was at least 3x/wk cardio and superset full-body moderate strength alternating days, always aiming for 6 days/wk, hitting 4-5 most often depending on the week. Did take several weeks off from lifting this spring.

Still trying to lose the 30 lbs gained 1.5 years ago, would settle for 25. None of my suits fit

I haven't had my thyroid tested since I was in my early teens, but am definitely considering doing it again. I tend to sleep long and deep and have a really hard time getting up in the a.m., and I don't think I have any hair loss or muscle tissue loss, so I'm thinking my adrenals might have been spared. However, I am tired A LOT and could sleep pretty much all the time, my nails are brittle, and I seem to have this weight issue.

As for low-carbing(ish) again: my hypoglycemia is under much better control, but I seem to keep developing more allergies, and am still tired pretty much all the time.

I like the idea of doing a bodyweight circuit one day/wk, heavy weights 1 day, intervals two days (one with actual sprinting?), long and slow outside two days, but we'll see if this is doable. Goal is to get the quick, intense, stuff done during the week and save the long and slow for the weekend play times.

What do you do for your BW circuits? I'm thinking squats, pushups, sumo squats, fly push-ups, split squats, chair dips maybe, and planks? I don't have a pull-up bar yet (not like I could do one, but I could start with 1/2 a negative right?). Any other ideas for upper body work?

Sorry for the book.

That is a long road - and familiar ! I HATE when suits don't fit - grrrr ... I would definitely get the thyroid tested - they all fit together - thyroid / adrenals / cortisol being a key factor - esp with the allergy issues - that is big with adrenal fatigue - And with all the stress from law school / bar exam / job, you are a prime candidate ! .. whoohoo ! ... your symptoms definitely fit that ...

Circuits - yeah, all of that you have listed - plus, if you have some 10 or 15 lbs DBs at home, you can do stuff like DB Thrusters or Y-squats - plus DB presses for UB - Go on YouTube and look for Tabata style workouts - you want to get your heart rate up as much as you can !

I was doing this one below and it was a killer - you go once through and then rest (or, if you are me, you rest while you are doing it too !) and then you do it again ... no puking !

1) prisoner squats - 20 reps

2) pushups - 20 reps

3) jump squats - 20

4) burpees - 15 - here's the puking

5) reverse lunges - 10 each side

6) mountain climbers - 40 total

rest and then do it again - don't hate me !

this is good b/c you can do it at home and it's quick !

Let me know how it goes

PrimalMom

Some heavy lifting with more resting b/w due to illness yesterday

Aug. 10 cont.

Lunch

Turkey sausage

handfull carrots

Snack

Two handfulls cashews

Pre-workout

1/2 apple

Dinner

Wild caught salmon

An english cucumber

1/2 apple

Snack

Peach

Aug 11

MIGRAINE today

stomach still a little funky but getting better

BF

1/2 apple, 1/2 c. black coffee nursed all a.m.

Snack

1/2 apple

Lunch

out

Steak burger with carmelized onions

Salad, with fork dipping rasp vinagrette

a litttle more coffee after lunch

Primal Mom

Sounds like a doozie. I'll give it a try on HIIT day and let you know. I previously thought HIIT included1/2 min 1min intervals on an eliptical or such. I now understand Mark is talking about BW for high intensity. I'm still going to do one of my lifting days as a body weight day with out the speed and intensity of the HIIT day. More like traditional superset BW lifting, high reps, lots of sets, etc. to see if that helps lean out and causes a little less of a stress response. Given the workout schedule posted on yesterday's forum, I'm starting to wonder if my gym membership is worth it if I'm only going there once a week to lift (long and slow, BW HIIT, and sprints can all be done w/o the gym). Not sure.

I will definitely get my thyroid checked soon. How do they test for adrenal burnout? I know there's a saliva cortisol test.

P.S. I'm sure I'll be resting in the middle. Maybe it will be like first 1/2 rest, Second 1/2, rest, repeat. Allaying the puking is my chief goal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

adrenals are usually with a saliva test - i think there are good ones through the mail if your doc won't do it - ya know they think adrenal fatigue is bogus .. (most of them, anyway) ....

Hey, your food looks good !!!

PrimalMom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast