Thread: Advice for my Dad: eating fats page

Victoria is offline Senior Member

Advice for my Dad: eating fats

Primal Fuel
    I live about 6000 miles away from my parents (I'm in Texas, they're in Britain). I've been telling them about my dietary changes and I've got my mother interested. Not sure she'll go fully primal, but she did tell me that she picked up some coconut oil

Anyway, I'm more concerned about my Dad. He's 57 years old, and last year had an angina "attack". Then 6 months later started suffering from pains that were associated with the statins he was taking. Now he has suspected rheumatoid arthritis in his back (lower spine area mainly). I want him to give primal eating a go but before I say anything to him I need some advice.

About 12 years ago he had his gall bladder removed, and now cannot process fats as efficiently as someone with a gall bladder. I am wondering how much of this is related to all the bad fats he's been eating, but would good fats affect him the same way?

I don't think he takes any supplements at all (I need to get on to him about that), but he is on daily doses of morphine to help with the pain he experiences. He doesn't exercise, I think he still smokes (he had given up but one of my brother's says he's started again), and I think he's suffering depression on top. He can't work, and had to give up his business, he removed himself from his circle of friends ... well you get the picture ...

Plus the British government doesn't believe he's ill and he has to go to a tribunal to prove he's not well.

Argh! Anyway I am wondering if I should encourage him to read about primal living in an effort to help him reduce the amount of medications etc ... I am just really concerned about whether the fats will affect him or not. I am going to send him a copy of the Primal Blueprint to read, but does anyone else here have any words of advice?
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

RogerDeRok is offline Member
    Don't really know what approach to take to convince, but I can say as a person who has had my gallbladder removed that I have had no problems processing fats with the primal diet without my gallbladder. I've been primal going on 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDeRok View Post
    Don't really know what approach to take to convince, but I can say as a person who has had my gallbladder removed that I have had no problems processing fats with the primal diet without my gallbladder. I've been primal going on 2 years now.
    Great! I think most of my dad's problems stem from the amount of bad fats he has a tendency to eat. I am hoping that by changing his diet he'll see an improvement in his health that will allow him to get a job again. Plus I hate my dad being ill.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Mica is offline Member
    Be cautious about fats. Your gallbladder does serve important functions in digesting fats, so he could face a lot of difficulty with them even if they are the good fats. One way to help him would be to supplement ox bile or some digestive aid containing bile with meals containing fats.

Also, sorry to hear about the tribunal situation A family member of mine is going through the same process right now for a different disability. It's incredibly hard on her and hard on everyone in the family, so, I hope it turns out well for him.

Thanks Mica, I will pass that advice on. I have ordered a copy of the PB book for my parent's to read so hopefully he can educate himself and decide if it's for him or not. The bile enzyme is a good option for him I think, as he can't produce his own.

I'm hoping the govt rules in his favor. More than that I hope to have my dad happy and healthy and alive to see grandkids! He has one (my brother just became a dad), but I hope there'll be more. Here's hoping.