Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sally's primal experiment :) page 3

Sally is offline Member

cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by eelnus View Post
    Hi. I just started on New Years after watching Gary Taube's lecture on why we get fat online. I also read the Schwarzbein Principle that explains why insulin and low fat diets gives you high cholestrol. So I'm curious...did your cholestrol get better?

So far I don't know about the cholesterol, I haven't had it checked. I will say that the last time I took lipitor (which my doctor is ALWAYS trying to push on me) a pretty high dose only lowered me from 460 to around 400. Then she wanted to double my lipitor dose. That's when I started looking for alternatives.

I've never done a diet with anywhere near this much cholesterol and fat, and I grew up doing the chronic carb/cardio routine, so my plan is to get my lipid reading after a full 6 months of primal, just to have a better baseline on the diet.

I will definitely post results when I get them - it's just going to be 5 months from now.

Sally is offline Member

low carb flu?

I need to go find the thread for it... the last couple of mornings, I've been excessively tired in the mornings. My energy comes back mid day, but mornings I am just dragging. Is this a tiny speed bump as I adjust? I've been doing primal for just over 2 weeks. Yes, I started right BEFORE christmas, weird, huh?

anyhow, even though I'm dragging in the morning, I haven't reintroduced morning carbs. I used to have a glass of fresh-squeezed oj every morning, which was probably a huge blood sugar spike.

Sally is offline Member
    well, if it WAS low carb flu, it didn't last long. I had two mornings where I was tired, now feeling back to normal.

am into the last chapters of Gary Taube's book, now on to disease. I am SO GLAD I got this book, since I do have genetically high cholesterol, that section is of particular interest. Reading the actual science, I'm pretty happy with my low triglycerides and high HDL. I mean sure, I have high LDL as well, but my HDL is higher and it seems that's what counts.

I'm kinda sad that I spent the last 20 years following the exact wrong advice for my health, but at least I know now. And I definitely need to get my family to read that book.

sforsyth is offline Junior Member
    I am curious about the genetically high cholesterol - I have it too. I have been mostly primal since October but haven't had blood work done yet. I haven't read that book - what does it say about high cholesterol? (I also have ignored drs advice about statins up to this point!)

Sally is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sforsyth View Post
    I am curious about the genetically high cholesterol - I have it too. I have been mostly primal since October but haven't had blood work done yet. I haven't read that book - what does it say about high cholesterol? (I also have ignored drs advice about statins up to this point!)
    "Why We Get Fat" doesn't really get into the nitty gritty of high cholesterol until the end - and even then, he doesn't specifically address the genetically high kind, he addresses the general issue.

A few key points he made though:

1. the ratio of HDL to LDL is probably the most important thing. HDL needs to be higher than LDL to lower risks. While LDL does tend to go up a bit on low carb, so does HDL so it's a wash in terms of health.

2. triglycerides are uber important, and low carb diets make triglycerides go down. that's major risk factor #2

3. LDL isn't just LDL - there is small, dense LDL which causes plaque to form in the arteries, and there is "big fluffy" LDL that floats around the system harmlessly. Guess what causes small, dense LDL? If you guessed carbohydrates, you guessed right! So carbs make LDL an even more deadly form of LDL and high fat content makes LDL "big and fluffy"

for me, I don't even like to get screenings any longer, since it all just ends with my doctor wringing her hands and giving me another lecture on lipitor and "low fat diets". But I AM going to get screened every six months for the first year of doing primal, just to see what's up.

Sally is offline Member
    Day 19!

noticed that when I went skiing for the first time this season, the muscle soreness wasn't as much as usual. Benefit of primal? not sure, maybe I just did less. The husband and I did decide to mostly take it easy, and only skied for about 2 hours. But we've been couch potatoes for the past month, so I expected worse.

will see how it is when I do a 2 day ski trip this weekend.

Sally is offline Member
    almost through my first month! On the 23rd, I will have been primal for a month. So far I feel like I've been doing about 90/10 instead of 80/20. The food part is easy, my 10 is red wine. :-P

Anyhow, just a journal check-in - just got back from a mini ski vacation, and had to report back. Notes:

1. I could wear ski pants that last year I had been unable to fit into. Yay! (cause they are way cuter than the ones I called my "staypuft marshmallow pants"

2. My skiing was better! I felt like I had more muscle to help or something, not sure. I haven't been incorporating all the primal workout yet, mostly just doing the diet and the activity I did before (yoga, a bit of swimming) so I am going to attribute this to the diet.

3. I DID have a bit of a hard time with energy spikes. Keeping in mind that I'm less than a full month in, I would attribute this to my body not having fully adjusted to burning fat instead of carbs.

in all though, a great trip. AND, as I've seen others note, my muscle recovery time seems far better on primal. I should be more sore than I am, considering I skied to the point of exhaustion on the second day. I called it when I was feeling as if I'd probably bite it and injure myself if I stayed out longer.

Sally is offline Member
    Just passed my first full month! I was going to have one cheat that I miss (the gourmet cupcakes everyone is always making fun of) and found that I actually didn't have any desire to eat one. Not much of a sweet tooth before going primal either, but I did sometimes love a cupcake.

So, no celebratory cupcake, but I did have some full-fat plain yogurt with fresh raspberries, and it was the best dessert EVER. Yum.

5 more months to go before I finally get on a scale and get my blood work done...
    ***if you fall down seven times, get up eight.***

Sally is offline Member
    6 week mark. woo! I had a real cheat for the first time yesterday, went to mexican restaurant with friends and ate both the refried beans and corn tortillas. Felt kinda yucky this morning though, so I don't think I'll be doing that again soon.

Tonight I'm debating between trying to make burgers with the primal buns, or doing the yummy recipe posted on the front page today, the double-pork stuffed chicken breasts. Those sound pretty awesome.

My goal before the end of February: get myself doing more than yoga. Right now that's all I'm doing, and only 1-2 times a week. This week it's a goal to do sprints at least once, and pilates at least once. Maybe will even do the gym that I waste money belonging to (since I don't go) and do some weights. Will check back in with myself and see if I followed through.

Oh, and happy note to self: fitting in to size 10 dress for 7-year-inversary with the husband. (was between 12 and 14 at Christmas) yay!

Sally is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    k... tomorrow will officially be two full months! Had a little slip up while on vacation, in that I had cocktails (the bad, sugary kind) on several occasions. Felt not as great, got back to normal. Today I had the desire for a quarter pounder with cheese, and fries. Resisted, figuring it'd probably not taste as yummy as I remember it. Instead, drove home for lunch and had a half avocado stuffed with tuna. yay me!

Still have refused to get on scale, still need to up the primal workout. Yesterday, tried a quickie routine from P90X creator, but didn't finish it. Worried about sore muscles, when I am only doing yoga right now.

I have been struggling with my usual issue: now that I'm feeling better, I keep thinking a little cheating won't hurt. I really need to resist that, it *always* lead down the slippery slope to SAD. Anyone else have that issue?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast