Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sally's primal experiment :) page 2

Sally is offline Member

Unhappy getting back on track after 4 months, surrounded by carb-loving family

Shop Now
    So there I was, maybe 6 weeks in to primal - and I went on a 2 week vacation with my non-primal spouse. All play, we were on a sailboat the whole time, lots of kayaking... and lots of carbs. I really got off track, and when I got back home, I was re-addicted to carbs. I ended up doing gluten-free for about a month (this made me feel somewhat better) but have been trying for the past week to switch back to primal.

I think the toughest things for me is just the sheer volume of processed carbs and sweets that surround me. My whole family thinks I'm kind of nuts for doing this, and all during the holidays all I heard was "well it's the holidays, start AFTER". But for a single piece of pecan pie, and one dinner roll, I did pretty well.

Anyhow, I was wondering what some strategies are for attempting primal in a family of five, four of whom are carb lovers. Last night the request was for lasagna for dinner. I ended up making a small dish for myself, without the noodles, and my standard lasagna for everyone else. I'm already used to adapting for my lactose intolerant husband (it was actually three lasagnas: one low-carb no noodle, one with goat dairy product, one regular)

I'm pretty sure there was *some* sugar in the tomato paste, but overall still kept my carb count under 75 for the day. How do the rest of you deal with cooking for carb lovers, while still taking care of yourselves?

I know, that is a question for ANY type of non-conventional diet...

anyhow, glad to be back on track, feeling better already.

Happy New Year everyone!

Sally is offline Member

Thumbs up btw - five fingers vibram = AWESOME

forgot to mention in my above post: I bought some Vibram Five Finger shoes before this trip. We race sailboats for about 3/4 of the year, and for several years I've been looking for the perfect sailing shoe. Something non-skid, toe-protecting, but with lots of flexibility. They are PERFECT! I get flack for the weird looking feet, but I couldn't care less. They were also the best for kayaking, every time I wanted to jump off at shore to explore, my feet were protected. totally recommended...

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly what you are going thru , dealing with the same with my family. a lot of days I make separate meals . but a lot of the time they will eat what I cook because it is good . but when they want their spaghetti or pizza , I just make my own meal . not cost effective but better than eating the pizza. it can be quite frustrating.

glad to hear you are back on track , I cheated a bit over the holiday myself and felt terrible for days
    "Misfortune
    can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
    come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
    new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
    things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

Sally is offline Member
    actually, you know what really got me back? I'd already been doing primal for a few days before christmas - then on Christmas morning, I was making a big breakfast for everyone. I had intended to eat beef roast left over from the night before, and eggs. I ended up eating 2 slices of french toast, with maple syrup. I felt so awful afterward (physically, not emotionally) that I had to take a 2 hour nap. It was a huge wakeup call. I normally don't eat french toast, I think the last time I had was probably LAST christmas, but my body obviously couldn't tolerate the massive carb and sugar hit.

In retrospect, I'm sort of glad I had the french toast, only because the reaction was so bad it kinda scared me.

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    yes it is amazing how after being away from carbs for so long that when you do cheat it makes you feel like you are getting sick . I couldn't wait to get some of my moms pumkin pie at christmas , in hindsight it just wasn't worth it . it took me days to get to feeling better again . lesson learned !!
    "Misfortune
    can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
    come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
    new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
    things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

Sally is offline Member

Cool getting my kids interested, yay!

so I was lamenting living in a houseful of carb addicts, but tonight I was at dinner with my two younger daughters (the 16 and 17 year olds) - we were having sushi, and primal came up, because I was forgoing some favorites and sticking mostly to sashimi. They were asking questions, because while neither of them has weight to lose, they are both starting to become health conscious.

The happy part is that they are both interested, and will be coming to the website to read through articles and decide if they want to try this with me! Sooo happy, it'd be way easier to have some in-house support. The oldest daughter (18) has no interest. She was at dinner also, and maintains that she cannot give up mac and cheese. Still, 2 out of 3 is a good start! And with the 17 year old doing most of the cooking that I don't, if we both start to cook primal we may sway the rest of the family whether they like it or not.

it's all baby steps..

Sally is offline Member

Lightbulb about 2 weeks back to primal, a checkin to remember how it's feeling later

One of the coolest things about having a journal is that later, when I am really feeling awesome and am tempted to go back to my old SAD ways, I can look back and remember WHY I feel good. One of my lifelong patterns is to get healthy, feel great, and then let things slide because after all, I feel great.

So I'm two weeks in and here are my observations:

1. I have not stepped on a scale yet (scared to, no idea what my starting weight was) but my clothes are slightly more loose than before.

2. Carb cravings? Essentially gone. One of my favorite things ever is french fries, and I happily munched on my ribeye steak and asparagus last night while watching my daughter eat sea-salted french fries. Not the slightest craving. Nor for the key lime pie she and my husband shared at dessert.

3. I feel like I eat a TON but when I punch everything in to livestrong I still get carbs at roughly 50 a day, fat and protein high, and calorie count within the weight loss range I set for myself. I think because of this I am ready to start some IFs.

4. energy/mood improved. Now this is a tricky one to track, because I finally went back on my ADHD meds at roughly the same time. I am hoping that I won't need the meds at all at some point, because I have a sneaking suspicion that the ADHD is made worse by SAD diet.

so to my future self, if I come back and read this when I'm feeling even better: remember WHY!

Sally is offline Member

day 14

I can't believe it's only 14 days in and I already see change. I posted in the "share your triumphs" thread already today that I happen to be comfortably wearing a pair of favorite pants today that I haven't fit into for more than a year.

And yesterday's food? I had just coffee with heavy cream at breakfast, then lunch was bacon/egg caesar salad. Then my husband met me after work for sushi, and I found that I had almost no appetite. I had a couple of little chicken drummies, 3 pieces of salmon sashimi, and 2 pieces of roll (yes, a tiny bit of rice) and I was more than done. Normally when I go to sushi, it's so delicious I just keep going, but I literally felt zero desire to.

This honestly kinda reminds me of how I used to feel when I took Meridia (the now banned weight loss drug) - it took away my food drive, I lost a ton of weight, and interestingly enough, I sort of naturally low-carbed it.

happy happy!

and re: the family, the husband is going to try primal now. He's mostly sad about breakfast, because no toast to sop his egg yolk up with. he's two days in right now.

Sally is offline Member
    yesterday was interesting - I'm finding that I am losing my appetite quite a bit on primal. I had coffee with heavy cream in the morning, and a handful of almonds and berries. Then I went to work and IFd until dinner, which was ribeye steak (a bad one, unfortunately - never going to that restaurant again) and salad. I like that I'm not experiencing food cravings on this style of eating.

Also been reading Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat", and that is going a LONG way to reinforce that I don't ever want to do a carb-based diet again. Yikes, what happens when you eat tons of carbs is scary!

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Hi. I just started on New Years after watching Gary Taube's lecture on why we get fat online. I also read the Schwarzbein Principle that explains why insulin and low fat diets gives you high cholestrol. So I'm curious...did your cholestrol get better?
    And so far, a week in, I am loving this way of eating. I'm so satisfied and I too have lost all desire for carbs.
    It's nice to read other people's journals that have been doing it for longer and see the results. So thanks:-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast