Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding, Dizziness, Low Blood Pressure? page

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member

Bleeding, Dizziness, Low Blood Pressure?

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys,

In the last few weeks I've been experiencing an increase in symptoms concurrent with the introduction of a hefty dose of supplements.

The symptoms include, frequent nose bleeds, dizziness, and light-headedness. I have a suspicion it's due to low blood pressure caused by the supplements.

The supps include daily: New Chapter's Everyman Daily, Country Life's Super 10 Antioxidant, 800mg Magnesium, 400mg Chromium, 1000mg Pantothenic Acid, 1000mg Vitamin C, and 1000mg Glutamine.
    I also have to say that I have been increasingly liberal in my dosing of my liquid fish oil by Natural Factors, which includes 1500mg EPA and 750mg DHA per teaspoon. Usually I'll take a tablespoon or more a day.

I also take 20mg Celexa and .75mg of Klonopin daily. I'm currently tapering off the Klonopin.

Between the Magnesium, loads of Fish Oil, The Vitamin E and Turmeric in the Daily and Antioxidant, and the blood-thinning effects of the Celexa, along with my daily exercise, I think this adds up to Low Blood Pressure. Thoughts?

Clark
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    On my iPhone so remind me to give a better answer later. Ditch the anti inflammaries for now (except fish oil). 1000mg of b5 is too much.

Add salt.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Mica is offline Member
    Is there any particular reason for the very high doses of some of those nutrients?
    Magnesium is a relaxing mineral, it helps relax muscle in your body, so it could affect the heart and arteries.
    I'm not sure if science has a consensus on fish oil's ability to thin your blood, nor do I know what an upper limit on it would be before it created nose bleeds.
    As for pantothenic acid (B5) - are you getting the rest of the B vitamins also? B's shouldn't be supplemented singularly, they need the others or else you could end up with imbalances.
    Chromium - the Adequate Intake is something like 35mcg for a 19-50. I hope that "400mg" is "400mcg"!

I quickly looked up Celexa side effects, it does list blood pressure changes and dizziness. If it also thins your blood as you say, then taking some of these supplements in the high amounts may be enhancing the effects of the medication. Perhaps cut your supplement dosages.

And yeah, provided you're not already consuming a lot of salt in your diet, adding some of that could help, as cillakat said.

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    i hope you mean 1000 micrograms of chromium not 1000 miligrams. the highest recomended dose,in conventional but open minded scources is 200 micrograms. 1000 micrograms would = a pharmacolgic dose of huge and probably unsafe levels. 1000 miligrams? who knows ,but couldn't be good anything but toxic.

Hey guys,

Yeah, I made a mistake, I'm taking 400 MICROGRAMS of the Chromium. I also have not been eating that much in the way of salty stuff, save the bacon, sausage and eggs in the morning. Point taken in adding some more.

The reason for the specific supps. is two-fold. One, I have a very strong suspicion that I'm hypoglycemic (I have a GTT test appt. a little more than a week away) and two, I'm getting off all sugar (hence the glutamine for the cravings).

This hypoglycemia, causes some serious anxiety in me. My feeling is, if the assumption that I have HYPO is true, I'd like to treat it naturally so as to help with my Klonopin withdrawal process. The doses I'm taking of said nutrients are are recc's from the book Depression Free, Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson.

To answer another q, I am getting all the B vit's in the Mutli I take. The extra Pantothenic Acid is for adrenal repair. The adrenals take a beating in anyone with an anxiety disorder and/or hypoglycemia.

My feeling at this point is that I'll drop the Antioxidant Formula, take the Magnesium down to 400mg a day, cut back just a little on the fish oil, and half the Pantothenic Acid. Mas?

Clark
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think youre overthinking and taking to many supp's...the only necessary are fish oil, vita D and maybe K... IMO... if your hypoglycemic i would be REAL careful poppin yourself full of pills to begin with...there is no reason eating primally you arent getting your B vitamins, and magnesium.

with all these pills youre gonna end up worse off throwing off balance other things in your body which may explain the dizziness

get your minerals & vitaminds from food....and the sun

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceMachineGun View Post
    Yeah, I made a mistake, I'm taking 400 MICROGRAMS of the Chromium.
    Let's quit the chromium too. It's not going to be helpful for you.

The reason for the specific supps. is two-fold. One, I have a very strong suspicion that I'm hypoglycemic (I have a GTT test appt. a little more than a week away) and two, I'm getting off all sugar (hence the glutamine for the cravings).
    It'll go away...I promise. keep up with the glutamine

.there is no reason eating primally you arent getting your B vitamins, and magnesium.
    a lot aren't. i've seen B1 and B2 deficiency here (more than one case), iron deficiency anemia, *tons* of magnesium insufficiency.

This hypoglycemia, causes some serious anxiety in me. My feeling is, if the assumption that I have HYPO is true, I'd like to treat it naturally so as to help with my Klonopin withdrawal process. The doses I'm taking of said nutrients are are recc's from the book Depression Free, Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson.
    But wait Clark.....if you give primal 4 weeks, you *won't have* hypoglycemia anymore. Wait until then to deal with the klonopin reduction.

I'd do 250 mg pantothenic acid (she doesn't recommend more than that iirc), 400-600 mg magesium from all sources (food and supps combined), enough Ω3 to offset the Ω6 you take in daily....or maybe twice that for a few weeks to really saturate your cell membranes.

K

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post

get your minerals & vitaminds from food....and the sun
    Most of the year in most places in the world, this isn't possible wrt vitamin d.

And unless we're eating whole animal (blood, guts, all organs, brain, eyes etc) we're simply not going to get all that we need from food.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceMachineGun View Post
    H
    Between the Magnesium, loads of Fish Oil, The Vitamin E and Turmeric
    quit the tumeric and E as well.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Awesome Kat!! Thanks so much. Dropping the Chromium, extra E and Turmeric from the Antioxidant. Will lower Pantothenic and Magnesium and keep the Fish Oil.

I forgot to mention I'm also taking Vit. D in my Multi (1500 IU + 1000 IU from an extra source - MegaFood D). Most days I'm working inside so I'm assuming this is ok. Also forgot to mention I'm taking Resveratrol and then Melatonin as needed, for sleep. With the Melatonin I'm never taking it more than a week in a row, and actually just recently started. You think there might be any issues with the Melatonin given that I'm on an SSRI? I've heard different things about it, some of which state that SSRI's deplete natural Melatonin stores.

Also, I'm considering taking HCL(I'm Blood Type A+ and do burp up Fish Oil occasionally), Pancreatic Enzymes, and/or Probiotics (I'm staying away from Yogurt b/c of a dairy issue) for better digestion of my nutrients. Thoughts?

Also!!!!! (LOL) I'm considering taking a low dose (10-25mg) B Complex on top of my multi which has all the B's. Thoughts again?

And, I agree with you about the Hypo and being primal. Need to focus more on the food I'm eating it seems. Yikes!!!!

Clark

-George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast