Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I saw someone wearing VFFs in public! page 5

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I see them a TON in Colorado. Primarily CrossFit but quite often in 'Public' as well. I saw quite a few at the Warrior Dash this weekend and even at some of my softball games! They are getting to be really common around here. I still haven't jumped on board, myself.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I've only seen them out and about once, in Harvard Square (hipster-central around Boston). They just look so goofy to me!
    Sometimes to me too honestly! I'd rather just go straight up barefoot you know? This is another one of those things our society is dumb about, nobody would ask me to leave an establishment if I was wearing VFFs, but I run the risk if I'm barefoot... why? my footwear is probably just as dirty if not dirtier than my bare feet.

Does anybody know of any real reasons, like I know in some cultures feet are offensive, certainly not in America, but are bacterial issues a real concern? I'm unfamiliar if there are bacteria that live exclusively on feet that could pose a threat to others... clearly if that was the case we'd all have perished long ago. Is it then just more of a norm? I should try to do some barefoot food shopping and see what happens...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Saw them in the subway yesterday (predictably filthy), someone jogging this morning as well. Noticeable for how ugly they are.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I wear them most of the time until the winter hits (as yet, VFFs have not proven friendly to our winters). I bought a pair of the smartwool ones, and I also have a black pair of Treks, both of which are much less obvious than the more colourful options--some of them really are jarring. I get a lot of friendly questions about them and a lot of positive response, and kids love them. Sometimes little ones even come up to touch my toes because they're fascinated.

Now and then I see other people wearing them, and we often give each other what I'm now thinking of as the VFF smile-and-nod. I've never had someone ask me if I'm primal, though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    haha I often wonder how I'd ask someone if they were paleo ... "so, eat grains much?"

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_morgan24 View Post
    I see them a TON in Colorado. Primarily CrossFit but quite often in 'Public' as well. I saw quite a few at the Warrior Dash this weekend and even at some of my softball games! They are getting to be really common around here. I still haven't jumped on board, myself.
    I have noticed them in Colorado a lot more recently as well. Last year I had never seen a single pair other then mine, even my Crossfit gym at the time had no one wearing them.

A week ago I went to the new Ikea, I literally saw three pairs in the first 10 minutes there. I don't know if it was some kind of synchronicity as I almost wore my VFF's but for some reason tossed them back in the closet.....and then walked in the door and started seeing them everywhere.

My new crossfit gym, I actually feel a bit behind the times as a couple people have multiple pairs and swap them out depending on the workout.

I rarely get asked anymore "what are those shoes?", instead it's usually "I have heard of those, how do you like them?"

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I think half the guys who come into our comic book store for casual Magic wears VFFs, as does one of the co-owners. I have yet to get any myself, as I own plenty of shoes and can't justify the money.
    A friend who is a massage therapist, who wears VFFs, said that if you can't afford them Chucks are the next best thing. I keep finding Chucks at yard sales/ thrift stores for $2-$5 so I'm going for them(plus, they make me feel all 10th-doctory)
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I pulled up the MDA Forums page a few weeks ago and the picture at the top was Mark wearing his vibrams. My son, the mechanic, was sitting next to me. He noticed the picture and said "I've seen those before. Those are the freaky shoes all the douchebags wear. Every time I see a pair of those, I know he's going to try to tell me how to change his oil."

Umm....
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I pulled up the MDA Forums page a few weeks ago and the picture at the top was Mark wearing his vibrams. My son, the mechanic, was sitting next to me. He noticed the picture and said "I've seen those before. Those are the freaky shoes all the douchebags wear. Every time I see a pair of those, I know he's going to try to tell me how to change his oil."

Umm....
    LOL...this gave me a good chuckle.

I suppose someone who spends enough time researching footwear and barefoot techniques probably spends time researching auto repair as well .

While I would not tell them HOW to change my oil, it wouldn't be odd for me to do a bit of research before I went to a mechanic just so I could have an intelligent conversation if needed and make sure I am not getting screwed. I usually apply the same process to just about anything in my life.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I have seen them once -- on a woman at Whole Foods.

But the topic did come up at a work dinner. The coworker who brought them up was making fun of them. I kept my mouth shut.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast