Thread: Primal cream sauce page

Spinner is offline Senior Member

Primal cream sauce

Shop Now
    KK... I made this the other night, and it is pretty simular to how I make alfredo sauce. I also think this would make an awesome sausage gravy base--with sage, pepper flakes and ground black pepper!

Mince up about 4-6 (or more!) cloves of garlic and saute till soft in just a bit of butter, maybe a T or so in a large skillet. Pour over 2 cups of heavy cream, bring to a good simmer (watch that it doesn't boil over) and let reduce a bit until thickened. At this point, you could add in a few good handfuls of shredded parm, or shredded sharp cheddar for a cheese sauce--you could also add a squirt or so of spicy mustard and a few shakes of tabasco or simular pepper sauce for more kick. Or leave the cheese out and do the afore mentioned sausage gravy.

Simple, good, amazing, and no roux! This is a pretty rich sauce, so a little goes a really long way, and good if you are doing dairy and just need something special once and a while. We had it over broccoli and I am contemplating brussel sprouts being in the cheddar sauce, to get dh to eat them.
    Last edited by Spinner; 07-24-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Timely! I have a hankering for creamy cheesy leeks for supper. I'll let you know how it goes.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Good, good, very good!

I sauteed the leeks first and used the buttery pan to make the cream cheese sauce. Then I tossed the leeks back in.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Glad you liked it!!
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

couchie is offline Member
    I do this with corned beef, but I fry up onion with the
    garlic and butter, then add the cream, then I add some
    parm it is delish. No flour needed, and my boy's loved it.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I made a version of this tonight - yesterday I cooked a whole chicken in water until tender, then removed, stripped the meat and set aside. Put bones in the oven to roast with a mire poix. After roasting, covered it with water, added rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorn and dulse and simmered for a couple of hours. Strained out the solids and refrigerated the liquid so the layer of fat rose to the top, and then removed the fat. Brought the liquid back to the stove and added chicken back in for a healthy soup (had a sick child).

Today, heated up the leftover soup (stock was gelatinous in fridge), strained out the liquid and added it to a pan with a diced onion. Used 2 teaspoons of coconut flour to thicken the stock, then added heavy cream until simmering. Whisked in 1/4 shredded cheddar and some parmesan until thickened, then added back cooked chicken. The family is still eating pasta, but I put my chicken alfredo sauce over roasted cauliflower. So, so good. My sons both said I "need to not change the recipe and make this all the time". Add that to the coconut flour banana muffins and I am slowly getting to the point where I make primal food that makes me AND them happy. Just have to get them to stop eating pasta