Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Choleterol Result Interpretation??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    103

    Choleterol Result Interpretation??

    Shop Now
    hi my head is swimming on the whole cholesterol issue, reading mark's stuff and chris kresser, jimmy moore, dave asprey etc.... looking for a little guidance from this crowd rather than my standard doctor, if possible, thanks in advance if you consider helping me with this!

    here are my results:

    http://imgur.com/a/KGdK6

    thanks for your time!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by liam8888 View Post
    hi my head is swimming on the whole cholesterol issue, reading mark's stuff and chris kresser, jimmy moore, dave asprey etc.... looking for a little guidance from this crowd rather than my standard doctor, if possible, thanks in advance if you consider helping me with this!

    here are my results:

    http://imgur.com/a/KGdK6

    thanks for your time!!
    Please remember that what we are good for are some thoughts. I think only one person here has a medical background, although several others are very intelligent and very well informed. One thing we do well here is stepping outside of the medical establishment's cookie cutter models of analysis and recommendations.

    Please tell us your heigh/weight, I presume you are male, and what your diet is in brief description.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    103
    Hi, yes male, 6'1", 205lb, mostly paleo-ish diet

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    656
    I would listen to your doctor and not unhealthy people like Jimmy Moore or diet gurus whose goal is to sell you products, books and diets (which are CAUSING your unhealthy labs). Those numbers are out of the normal recommended range. You should question a diet that makes your health WORSE or fails to improve it.

    It doesn't happen to everyone but for some folks like yourself, who are susceptible, a diet high in saturated fat DOES increase cholesterol. If you want normal labs without meds, reduce your dietary fat. I wasn't overweight but after starting paleo/primal, my LDL and total were even worse than yours (my trigs weren't as bad) and what I did was cut back on fats and meats and now it's normal.
    *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (Jan 2015) * Current Wt - 116 lbs (June 2016)
    *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
    *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
    I would listen to your doctor and not unhealthy people like Jimmy Moore or diet gurus whose goal is to sell you products, books and diets (which are CAUSING your unhealthy labs). Those numbers are out of the normal recommended range. You should question a diet that makes your health WORSE or fails to improve it.

    It doesn't happen to everyone but for some folks like yourself, who are susceptible, a diet high in saturated fat DOES increase cholesterol. If you want normal labs without meds, reduce your dietary fat. I wasn't overweight but after starting paleo/primal, my LDL and total were even worse than yours (my trigs weren't as bad) and what I did was cut back on fats and meats and now it's normal.
    "Funny" thing, I was thinking that you, OP, might be one of those people like KL that does not respond well to classic paleo. Or, as you say, "paleo-ish." Perhaps you need to drop the "ish?"

    There's a great video out there by Denise Meninger ??? of a speach at one of the health conferences. She really delves in the histories of radical dieting, meaning very high carb, low fat, and VHF, low carb and results over many years, many interventions, a lot of followups. IIRC, her bottom line is that both diets work miracles with the VLF HC tending to be truly healing, not just alleviating symptoms.

    When I started on this journey and on this site seven years ago, I would have resisted such heresy. But observing many people's journeys, I am all on board, "whatever works."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    931
    I would be concerned about low HDL-C and high trigs. Can likely improve both by lowering carbs, upping exercise and losing weight. I would want some more data to better understand the nature of your very high non-HDL-C, including inflammation markers and particle count/size analysis.

    Seems to me NCEP is off the hook with their focus on lowering LDL-C with statins. Of course I want to believe this because mine is so high. I bet the NCEP crowd supports putting statins in our drinking water.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 07-16-2016 at 03:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I would be concerned about low HDL-C and high trigs. Can likely improve both by lowering carbs, upping exercise and losing weight. I would want some more data to better understand the nature of your very high non-HDL-C, including inflammation markers and particle count/size analysis.

    Seems to me NCEP is off the hook with their focus on lowering LDL-C with statins. Of course I want to believe this because mine is so high. I bet the NCEP crowd supports putting statins in our drinking water.
    Given what we know I agree with this. Trigs are a big point here and art is right on how you can correct that.

    Of course there is much more about OP we need. Age. Previous labs with previous lifestyle questions (diet, sleep, exercise, habits....ect). Family history. I'd then like a current 3 day tracking of his diet and normal daily activities and how long he has been living in that manner. We don't know if his numbers are trending in a positive or negative direction without all of that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Posts
    1,053
    OK, what's NCEP?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    931
    Last edited by Artbuc; 07-17-2016 at 12:03 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Posts
    1,053
    Shop Now
    Thanks. Interesting materials. OTOH, still advising low sat fat, high-ish carb diets. Since I've been eating four times their sat fat allotment for a very long time, I should have off the charts high cholesterol and be frequently clutching my heart. "Inexplicably", I'm the poster child for great TC, HDL, and LDL. How could that be???????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •