Thread: Tanning/Sun burn page

kermie is offline Member

Tanning/Sun burn

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone put anything on before they go out in the sun? What do people use for sunburn? Does coconut oil work?

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Last year I put coconut oil on. It worked great for tanning. No burn either. This year, I've been low on coconut oil but still got a great tan.
    Cillikat suggested raw honey awhile ago, so if we have to deal with a burn this year I'll try that.
    Calm the f**k down.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I use graduated exposure to prevent burning. If I'm going to be out longer than my skin is prepared for (which happens a lot), I put more clothes on.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member
    We use zinc oxide. We order it from the CVS pharmacist. I don't really know if it's considered primal or not though. I think the most primal thing would be to wear clothes that would protect you from the sun.
    For sun burns, you can use the zinc oxide again (after all it is just diaper rash creme), coconut oil or I use my breast milk since it's available.

Selah is offline Senior Member
    Aloe vera is great for sunburns and belive it or not.......shaving cream(I know), but if you burn badly and put the shaving cream on,the burn will be almost completly gone in 24 hours!

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I usually make sure I'm not in the sun for longer then my skin can take.

As for sunburns, I havent had 1 since going primal (love this way eating..love love love)..but I agree with everyone else - aloe, raw honey, or milk works really well.

Shaving cream? hmmm...never heard that! Just any old shaving cream? good for future reference!
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

kermie is offline Member
    So it is safe to get coconut oiled up and sit out in the sun? I know CW is against this and says it causes skin cancer, but I remember watching one of those survivor shows, I think it was Bear Grylls, where the guy is on a south Pacific island and the first thing he does is put coconut oil on his face to protect it from the sun.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Either more clothes - or if I'm in a situation that warrents it - sunscreen. Not primal, I know, but sure beats a bad burn.

For the times where I do get burned (not so much these days) - vinegar will help take the 'burn' out. You do smell like a pickle, though.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill