Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Training Plan for My First Spartan Trifecta

Training Plan for My First Spartan Trifecta

Shop Now
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm planning on completing my first Spartan Trifecta. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's the three different Spartan race distances completed over three different days. Sprint (5 miles), Super (8 miles), Beast (13 miles).
    Im on my second read of Primal Endurance; here's how I'm planning on applying its principles to accomplish this goal.
    First, I've outlined some important dates: Spartan Sprint (10/15), Spartan Beast (10/29), Spartan Super (12/10). The removal of my 4 wisdom teeth (7/1). So, with these dates in mind, I have planned training as such.
    I will allow about one week to recover from the surgery. Once my HRV returns to the baseline I will begin my aerobic base building period. I will mostly run and row; rowing will help keep my upper body stimulated in the absence of anaerobic exercise. To start, my max aerobic heart rate will be 180-age-5 which is 147 bpm.
    After around 8 or 10 weeks, I plan to introduce some anaerobic activity for about 2 weeks. I'd like to do some sprints, heavy carries, and upper body work.
    After this I'll return to an aerobic mini-period. I will continue to do pull-ups/upper body work when my HRV is above baseline.
    This brings us to 10/15, the Sprint. I will continue an anaerobic period for the rest of the week, followed by a week of aerobic work. Now we are at 10/29, the Beast.
    After the Beast, I will change things up with CrossFit and sprints for three week of anaerobic conditioning. Then, three weeks of aerobic rebuild.
    Now, the last race, the Super. Ta-da! Trifecta complete. After this, rest.
    So, thanks for sticking this out until the end. Go ahead and comment with thoughts, opinions, and questions. I'll update this thread as I progress.

Live Well, Do Good.

How many chin-ups can you do?
    The Champagne of Beards

Strict: 3 sets of 12 unbroken.10 min EMOM, 7.

Kipping: 5 sets of 25 unbroken. 10 min EMOM, 11.

Live Well, Do Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Boy View Post
    Strict: 3 sets of 12 unbroken.10 min EMOM, 7.

Kipping: 5 sets of 25 unbroken. 10 min EMOM, 11.

Live Well, Do Good.
    If you can do 3 sets of 12, you can probably at least come close to 20 strict. Which is what I was going to suggest is a good aim if you don't enjoy burpees. I managed to complete 20 of 21 obstacles in the Sprint this past weekend in Tuxedo NY, despite the fact that I can't jump real good, I managed all the walls, unassisted. Only failed the "spear" (bent rake handle) throw. That level of strength + cardio endurance is probably the best you can do to prep for this year's Spartan season. Whole body strength will help, and I recommend a program of squats, deadlifts, bench press, press, and chin-ups for that when you're not in the later stages of prep, since strength is a more persistent adaptation and cardio endurance far more fleeting (more quickly acquired, and more quickly lost).
    The Champagne of Beards

Shop Now
    Never really knew much of these events, but it sounds great. Looking forward to hearing more - since I'm interested in applying the Primal Endurance info as well for my needs.
    Best of luck!