Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into eating meat page

cavemansam is offline Junior Member

Getting into eating meat

Shop Now
    Until 2 weeks ago on my 19th birthday I had never eaten meat in my life. I had been brought up in a strictly vegetarian home which was obviously no sacrifice to me because I had never known anything different. I have been eating meat consistently for the last week and a half and eating entirely primally for the past week. This has been incredibly challenging for me mostly because up until a few weeks ago my diet was composed almost entirely of carbohydrates and my body is adjusting to them being removed as well as new sources of protein being added.

The problem I'm having now is that I don't think i've been eating enough variety in my meat. I've had chicken or turkey every day since becoming primal. It's not that the flavors are becoming boring or anything as I'm very skilled in the kitchen, the problem is that I'm unsatisfied after meals and my energy levels deplete throughout the day. I think this is because I've been eating only lean meats which isn't really comparable to the meat available in the natural world. Today I went to my farmer's market and picked up a pound of grass fed sirloin tip and right now its sitting my freezer.

This whole process of dealing with meat had been overwhelming to a very recent meat convert. I need help with the ins and outs of eating meat. Not only do I not know what I'm doing with meat but I have a lot of restrictions about cooking it.

In comparison to the rest of the primal community I'm sure I'm very young, having just turned 19 and still living at home. This poses a few problems: 1. I need to be preparing meals for only 1 person plus leftovers. 2. My dad refuses to have meat in the kitchen because it "repulses" him therefore I'm stuck with cooking on a hot plate in my garage. 3. My dad also refuses to have meat in the fridge or freezer in the kitchen so I'm stuck with storing it in a minifridge(with a very small freezer) in the garage as well.

With these restrictions in mind would someone please help me figure out how to transform cuts of meat into meals? Any info you guys can provide about thawing/preparing/storing/cooking/buying healthy, primal, meat would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

P.S. If anyone lives in the western MA area and knows specific place to get the meats it would be insanely useful.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Move the fuck out.

You need an oven, and a fridge/freezer.

Bacon. Bacon is magical.

Pork. Lovely lovely pork.

Grass fed beef. Either steaks, or ground beef.

Good luck, I have a challenging kitchen situation myself.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    ...on reflection though, you could get a grill.

...but seriously it's your parent's house, so just move out and learn to be an adult. (that's not an insult.) (it might take 15-20 years.)

oh, yes... also look around for primal type meet ups in your area, check out cook outs, and such where other people will be making meat.

good luck.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    cavemansam, I'm in western MA and there are many places to get grass-fed, free-range meat. The best and easiest place to buy small portions is at the various farmers markets. Let me know what county your in and I can help you find meat there. Also, if you have a bit more freezer space available to you, there is a fabulous meat share where you can get a certain number of pounds of different meats (usually a combo of pork, chicken and beef) that you pick up once a month. I just started it and it's fantastic! Give me a bit better idea where you are and I'll help you out.

ETA: Get thee a freezer! I just checked western MA Craigslist and there are a bunch of them for $100 or less. You'll have so many more options that way!
    Last edited by jennf; 07-24-2010 at 08:10 AM.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    On top of that, try some game meats like buffalo/bison: it has a baseline taste of beef, but a more stronger, succulent flavor. Some farmer's markets may have them; you may also try whole foods if there is one in your area, they sometimes have pretty good deals on nice clean beef and game meat (I can buy organic, grass fed ground beef for about $4 a pound; buffalo stew or ground meat for $6 a pound).

Speaking of stew, you could also invest in a slow cooker (or crock pot). They are inexpensive and would also allow you to cook in your garage. Just throw in some meat, flavoring agents such as spices, and any veggies you may desire in there in the morning and you have dinner done right there!

I don't know if the vegetarian lifestyle you lived allows for eggs, but definitely add some organic, pastured, or at least omega-3 eggs into your equation. One of my favorite things in the world is a simple concoction of eggs and bacon: get several strips of bacon firing up in the pan until the grease comes out, and then add some eggs to fry in the bacon grease until done. One word: delicious. Then again, bacon goes great with everything (except maybe vegetarian "meats").

I can understand where you are coming from in life: saying "move out" is much easier said than done, especially at 19. I'm currently a 22 year old graduate student myself, who lives at home with the parents over the summer. Paying for an apartment is no cheap affair. Good thing they have student loans and graduate stipends to help out. I don't know if you are a college student or not, but if you are, and if you are serious about moving out, you may find a few friends and collectively rent an apartment or find an apartment by yourself that is in an affordable range, and even take out a student loan (dangerous to say, I know) to help pay for the damages. Government subsidized loans are great as you don't need to pay back interest; these are the loans that I have been taking out.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I say sit down and have a conversation with your parents. Explain that you really feel that this is healthier for you, and just like people are tolerant of their choice to be vegetarian, they should be tolerant of yours. Maybe you can workout that you can have a certain drawer in the fridge that will only be used for your foods. That you will only cook meat during a certain time, etc. Also consider getting a fire pit (cheap ones are available) and you can rotisserie your meat outside. I wish you luck, i know dealing with parents and PB is not easy.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    It's true that moving out will ultimately be the solution, but there are of course many factors affecting when that happens. I'm just impressed that at 19 and living at home you're doing what it takes to store food in your own fridge in the garage, and that you know how to cook.

I think you're gonna make it

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I second the motion on a Craigslist freezer. If you can't pick up an actual gas grill, how about one of those electric George Foreman grill things. They were really popular a few years ago, and are now pretty easy to find for a few bucks in thrift stores.

Other ideas:

Cook a roast or a pot of beef stew at a friend's house, then bring the leftovers back to your place to last many meals. Fry up a package of bacon while you're there, then eat it cold. It's yummy on apples or crumbled in with eggs that you can scramble on your hot plate.

Canned fish is an easy, inexpensive, no-cook option. (Google for salmon/tuna salad recipes if you don't like it plain or want creative ways to add flavor and fat.)

Beef jerky (be sure to check the carbs, as a lot of commercial jerkys are full of sugar) is another simple option.

Ground beef sauteed with onions, garlic, and miscellaneous veggies is tasty and easy on a hot plate.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 07-24-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

cavemansam is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone,

I live in Franklin County and that freezer idea sounds like a great one.

As far as compromising with the parents, I've tryed and my dad basically said that having meat cooked and stored in the house makes him fundamentally uncomfortable. At least he is understanding of my decision to live healthier. My mom is much more difficult as she responds to my new lifestyle with "you ate grains forever why stop now, you're just making things difficult" which I'm sure many of you have heard.

The Crock pot aslo seems like a great idea because right now I'm working at a farm really early in the morning and once the fall semester comes again I wont have as much time to cook.

I am a full time student but I go to community college (for money reasons) and commute from home. I am working on moving out but it definitely is difficult. First I need to get a non-seasonal job

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    You could also try a more aggressive approach: unobtrusively put bacon in some of your parents' food; once they taste the holy bacon goodness, they will never criticize your aberration from vegetarianism ever again!
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast