Thread: weight loss vs fat loss

weight loss vs fat loss

Shop Now
    I have been Primal for the last 5 months combined with IF twice a week for 36 hours. Lift heavy 4 days a week and low intensity cardio 4 days a week with sprints once a week. In that time frame I have lost 35 lbs. However, my body fat loss has not kept up with my weight loss ( went from 28% to 23% ) and recently it stalled completely.
    I definitely do not overeat ( around 1800 cal on eating days ) which is around my RMR. I keep carbs below 80 g. and protein around 150 g. Does anyone have any educated suggestions on how to increase my fat loss ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas001 View Post
    I have been Primal for the last 5 months combined with IF twice a week for 36 hours. Lift heavy 4 days a week and low intensity cardio 4 days a week with sprints once a week. In that time frame I have lost 35 lbs. However, my body fat loss has not kept up with my weight loss ( went from 28% to 23% ) and recently it stalled completely.
    I definitely do not overeat ( around 1800 cal on eating days ) which is around my RMR. I keep carbs below 80 g. and protein around 150 g. Does anyone have any educated suggestions on how to increase my fat loss ?
    I have two thoughts

1) much of early weight loss is water packed glycogen with little fat

2) fat that is being burned now (still early) is denser/volume so weight loss may be disproportionate to expected volume loss. If you had a history of ingesting vegetable oils prior to primal, they will be stubborn to come off.

Advice is to be patient. Your weight loss to date is good and will continue, but with some plateaus and temporary peaks. As long as you're moving in the right direction, you're on the right path. Stay the course,
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

I would do what it takes to lower your cortisol - you're doing several things that raise it by themselves - and combined, I'd say you're in a situation where you're chasing your tail. I'm surprised you're not gaining, honestly. It sounds like you've lost muscle, as well, which affects overall metabolism and body composition, of course.

My opinion is that you're doing several things to raise cortisol, which loves to help us store fat and water and adversely affects thyroid hormone conversion. These effects are seriously underappreciated, if you ask me. I've read it countless times on this board and others after learning the hard way, myself - despite many valid warnings, which I ignored. These things separately are cortisol raisers:

Fasting
    Undereating
    Overtraining
    Low carb (without refeeds - I am only guessing, of course)

When combined, they're even worse. They have synergistically crappy effects. Muscle loss is basically a given. Your adrenals are having to fight to keep your blood sugar from tanking since you're likely in a glycogen depleted state 99% of the time, for one thing. You're overtraining while underfueled - lacking in both calories and sufficient carbs, then adding fasting to the mix, which makes blood sugar control even more of an issue. It's extremely rare for a body to be able to do this for a prolonged period and lose weight - and, as I said earlier, it's a wonder that you're not gaining yet. Hopefully, you can turn it around. Hang on for dear life to the muscle you have left.

Anything that's bad for our overall health because it is hard on our body when done for a prolonged period of time is going to affect the ability to lose fat. It will also have a negative effect on sleep, which greatly affects our ability to lose fat for several reasons.

I'd start thinking about dialing it back and not going to such extremes and always focusing on getting an optimal amount of sleep. (Do you wake up between 2 and 4 am often?) If you insist on continuing to exercise as you have been, gradually increase your carbs slightly - maybe go up by 20 g/day tomorrow and stay there for a week, and then up another 20g next week. See how you feel at each level and what the effects are - not on your weight, but on how you feel. The weight loss is a byproduct of a healthier metabolism. I would definitely increase your calories above your RMR, though. Take a good magnesium supplement before bed. Drink enough water and be very generous with the salt.

An overworked, underfed, under-rested body is just not going to give up fat stores without a fight - a fight that may result in gaining. Just my two cents, of course - but I've been researching this topic A LOT over the last five+ years and I feel more strongly about this angle every day. Good luck to you!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Hello John,
    Thanks for a quick response.
    Th.

Shop Now
    Hello Jen,

Thank you for a thoughtful response.
    I generally sleep well and if i do wake up at night it is due to the amount of water i drink.

Recently, i started to reintroduce some carbs ( 20-30 grams extra per day ) in the form of grains and it caused some GI problems.
    With the arrival of nice weather in New England ( last two weeks ) i find myself working outdoor or playing golf more than before and spending less time in the gym doing steady state below 70% max cardio ( went from strict 4 days per week ) and I'm beginning to feel "soft" again my BF% went up almost 2%. Per your advice I'm considering cutting IF to once per week or perhaps even taking a break from it for a while.

Th