Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for change (jamesfromNZ)

Time for change (jamesfromNZ)

Shop Now
    Hi all,

The past few years have been rough for me. I have yo yo'd pretty hard and as a result am now back over 100kg.

I had initially lost about 15kg in 2011 for my wedding and the lowest weight I got down to was about 88kg. Since then I have had trouble controlling cravings and often binging on junk food and fast food. I feel like this way of eating has also impacted my mental health, especially over the past year where I have been depressed and having anxiety about things I never used to be anxious about.

I have always wanted to commit to a Paleo/primal way of eating and now is the time for my health, happiness, and well being.

I suffer from psoriasis and so I am interested in seeing how that reacts to my change in eating (hopefully for the better!)

My goals are this:

Get my weight back under 100kg, then 95kg, then 90kg.

Complete the 21 day challenge

Journal everyday during that time.

Commit to at least 3 workouts a week at my crossfit gym and a walk with the dog everyday.

Once my nutrition goals are on track I will be setting some more specific exercise goals in preparation for a competition my wife and I are in later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Last edited by jamesfromNZ; 07-18-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Welcome to Primal. We're really glad you're here and that you enjoy all the benefits others have derived from this path.

Regarding the psoriasis, I think you'll notice good changes. You can enhance the speed of it clearing by getting 15-20 minutes of mid-day sun exposure to the affected areas.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Welcome James, from another Kiwi. We are very lucky that in practice it's not too difficult to source decent food here. Meat and veges, eggs, butter, a little fresh fruit and we're off and running. What competition are you entering, and is your wife on board with the primal lifestyle too? That will help a lot if so. Best wishes for wonderful improvements in both your physical AND mental health as you start to treat your body as it requires.

Thanks for the support. It definitely is a bit easier in NZ to find good quality food, shame about the prices though....

We are entering the two 2 tango crossfit competition in September. It's a male-female partner one. She is on board with primal and looking forward to some of the recipes from the Pete Evans book we bought.

I start my 21 day challenge tomorrow. It is time....

Update - I am starting my 21 day challenge tomorrow.

I put it off for a week or so because I have been a bit more stressed at work recently and wanted to start off on the right foot.

New goals:

Fit size 36 jeans comfortably.

Walk Indy (our dog) everyday.

Meditate using headspace everyday.

Work out 4-5 times a week at crossfit gym (including a PT session every Friday).

Complete my 21 day challenge!

Success on the horizon. Best wishes.

Day 1

Breakfast - 4 eggs scrambled. Mixed berries (from frozen) and 1/2 cup of Greek yoghurt (natural,unsweetened)

Lunch - Protein Smoothie

Dinner - Baked eggs with artichoke hearts and chorizo

Snacks - Pear and Raw nuts and protein brownie (Paleo style)

So first day done and dusted! Not so bad overall. Got a bit hungry around 4 but luckily my wife brought a slice of brownie to the gym for me.

Was a little unorganised and so had to take a smoothie for lunch but will be taking something more substantial over the next days.

Dinner was amazing! It was from a Pete Evans cookbook. Was quick and easy to whip together and tasted incredible. Definitely making it again!

My workout was ok. We focused on Snatch and my shoulders and chest were still a bit exhausted from Friday. But my main goal there is to move and sweat so mission accomplished.

Hopefully will have a better nights sleep tonight, last night was a little rough.

Onwards to day 2!

Day 2

Breakfast - Chia pudding with mixed berries and banana

Lunch - Pumpkin Soup and Protein Shake

Dinner - Turkey nibbles (part of the wing I think?), orange kumara and mixed steamed veggies.

Snacks - Pear and Mixed raw nuts

Drinks - Water, Coffee, Green Tea x 2

Overall today was pretty good as well. I think I might just have to have that Chia pudding every second day because it is so yum! Loved the texture and flavour (enhanced with vanilla extract and natural maple syrup).

Had my first bout with such a radical change in diet by developing a random headache just before lunchtime. Popped some ibuprofen and was good after about an hour.

Had an enjoyable workout at crossfit but the wod made me realise how much I really want to get into shape because I was struggling for breath and taking lots of long breaks in between sets and exercises.

Had a better sleep last night but still woken up by our cats around 3-4am. Hopefully will have a full night tonight. I am using sleep cycle which makes it really interesting to see my sleep patterns.

Day 3 ahead!

Hi James,

A fellow psoriasis sufferer here. Have you tried cutting out nightshades or following the autoimmune protocol? I found the Paleo Mom website a good resource, http://www.thepaleomom.com/. My psoriasis has really improved anyhow, sure hope yours does too as it's a shocker of a skin condition.

Good luck in achieving your goals!

Shop Now
    Yea I've tried elimination diets before and found a couple of things that flare it up are sugar (refined) and wheat. Everything else seemed to be fine.

I think my psoriasis is more affected by being overweight so we'll see how it goes.