Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we talk talk primal pooping? (Or at least primal digestion?)

Can we talk talk primal pooping? (Or at least primal digestion?)

Shop Now
    Sorry if this topic is too much--but I think if we're honest it's a private topic some people have a lot of questions about. Or maybe it's just me and my husband If you don't want to read the story, and get straight to the main question, skip to the bold!

So here's the deal--my husband I started transitioning to primal diet from our previous habits, which already pretty low in grains and sweeteners compared to CW. We just moved across country and have gone fully primal--and it's been great! We've both been going at it more than 80% for about 10 days.

Despite how wonderful primal is--we're having some unpleasant side effects We're both a bit gassier (me especially, I have the more sensitive system of the two of us) our pooping is totally different. The specifics, are below, and if you're squeemish skip the next paragraph and continue on.

Specifics: His stools have been tiny. In his words "I haven't taken a good poop in a week!" I think I remember going through a stage like that, as I went primal before he did, but it could just be random cycles. Currently, I have diarrhea every night. I'm fine during the day but almost always at night, though I had some this morning.

Moving on from the graphic bits--I'm wondering what the cause could be. It might be just stress--we did move from VA to TX and I think we had an especially stressful move due to other details in our lives. It could be diet related, but we previously ate pretty primal anyway we just splurged a lot on whims (eat great all day, then eat store bought cookie dough). We always ate a meat and a vegetable for dinner, I usually have fruit and greek yogurt smoothies for breakfast and leftovers for lunch, so it's not as if I'm eating tons more fiber or drinking more water, or anything like that. I thought it might be dairy, so I'm cutting that out for a test run (3rd day now, no dramatic difference yet). So, basically I have no idea why we're having weird stool!

Anyway, my question is: Did you have any major bowel transitions when you went primal, or any changes due to changes you made in your primal diet (like cutting out starches, or dairy), and if so, what were the specific changes in digestion and what do you think the specific causes were?
    Last edited by jqbancroft; 07-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.

I had no problems going primal with my digestive system. I rarely have gas. One thing I've noticed as of recently, maybe in the last 6 months or so, is that I easily constipate if I dont' eat enough vegetables. Didn't have this problem at all the first year or so that I was primal, but started in the last few months. I haven't had this issue in the last couple months, but again I've also been htiting the fruit a little heavy. I'm gonna be cutting back on that, but I'm also gonna cut out dairy since I eat a lot of cheese to see if that will keep the constipation issue from happening as I lower my carb intake.

Less...production (!) and gas here...
    I find a few constant things
    - if I don't drink enough water, I feel "full" / a bit constipated
    - more veg leads to more bloating, although only minor compared to grains etc
    - coconut milk - good lord I can't handle it! Housebound for that evening and following morning. Attempted several times now.
    - whole coconut - how can I phrase this..... a reliable alternative to senna but without the pain / bloating caused by coconut milk.

Not noticed any consistent effects of dairy, fat, meat:veg ratio....

Excuse my geography, but how far have you moved? The critters in the soil and water could be different, leading to upset gut flora perhaps? Maybe you could try probiotics?

Irregularity is the one constant in my Primal Experience. I began PB on June 19th and noticed constipation beginning in July. On other threads in this forum about the same subject, others seem to say this lasts between two weeks and one month. Well I'm now experiencing this for three weeks and I certainly hope it relents soon. In the meantime I am doing what others have said they are doing and that is waiting about five days and then resorting to a laxative. I don't like doing this but bloat and that full feeling goes away in a day. Then the cycle begins again. Some attribute this issue to a new growth of flora in your gut needing to regenerate so that the new foods can be properly digested. I'm sure I have no idea about that but I will be happy to see it gone. Otherwise having no more dandruff and clear sinuses for the first time in 20 years is wonderful side benefits.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! NMG, we moved about halfway across the US, so it's a definite possibility my system hasn't adjusted to the flora. I was also considering some probiotics, so thanks for the encouragement in that direction!

In the first weeks of transitioning I had diarrhea (the almost-water-type) as soon as I took fish oil and/or drank coconut milk. After having realized which two things were problematic I completely cut those and slooowly reintroduced them after the diarrhea was gone, and now I'm fine with both, as long as I don't overdo the coconut milk (ie: drinking it is too much, half a can in a meal is totally ok).
    Right now all is well, and my overall "stool-quality" is "better" than pre-primal. Almost no gassing anymore as well.
    Luckily I still don't have any problems with dairy, because since I can't drink that much coconut milk I couldn't replace the milk with it. (I drink a lot of (raw, right from the farm) milk, mainly because I did this since I was little, and also because I still need to gain some weight, and with all the strength training the milk helps to make sure I get enough calories in :)

MH DH and I went primal 4 mos ago. Prior I was a good pooper, very regular. Now I have problems. Every morning its diarrhea. DH has had no problems. Some mornings I have milk, some mornings I have leftover meat/veggies. I have tried going without milk doesn't help. I finally decided I just need to make sure I am at home when I have breakfast. Not fun.

I've been a little constipated, but over all not bad. Still tinkering with my diet though.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Lynda, that's so tragic! I'm sorry Good luck trying to figure out what's causing the disruption. Have you tried taking probiotic supplements? I hope this gets better!

Shop Now
    What works best for me is a mix of dense, fibrous foods (avocado, kale, sweet potato) plenty of varied, good fat (long, medium, short chain saturated, monounsaturated, and omega 3), plenty of garlic & onions (they act as revitalizing food-sources for your gut bacteria), and probiotics (yogurt, fresh sauerkraut, kombucha, sourdough, miso).

Of course, some pretty fun stuff comes out of your rear when you're detoxing. It could be a sign that you're on the right track. But definitely still load up on the probiotics.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 07-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris