Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk talk primal pooping? (Or at least primal digestion?) page 3

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Having eliminated beans and whole wheat bread, having traded 1% milk for cream (for my coffee), having cut my 1-2 fruits a day to 3-4 a week ...
    my GI tract is happier than it's ever been.

I was eating too much fiber, too much dairy, and too much fructose apparently. Lots of vegetables, a fair amount of meat and fat, moderate coffee and water are doing me well. When I stray (had an extra cup of coffee at work yesterday, with whole milk), my belly protests within thirty minutes.

I think it's interesting to see, on the many different threads, where we are alike and where we differ.

Eteric is offline Member
    Hard to say, typically meat and vegetables. Steak, eggs, ground meet, usual vegetables are carrots, brocoli, zukini, etc.

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eteric View Post
    Hard to say, typically meat and vegetables. Steak, eggs, ground meet, usual vegetables are carrots, brocoli, zukini, etc.
    Hmm, your diet sounds spot on. I can't imagine why you're having trouble. Where's your fruit, though? How often do you eat broccoli? Because if it's not that often, you may be missing out on fiber (raspberries, spinach, broccoli, apples, artichokes, pears). I'm just making a semi-educated guess, though. Anyone else have any ideas?

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I've been having constipation issues as well. Well, I don't know whether it's true constipation or not, but I can go days at a time without passing anything. I sometimes get a faint feeling of needing to go, but it never happens. I have to wait around for that feeling of REALLY needing to go before I can actually get anything out. It's a little harder, but I don't have to strain too much or anything.

It's just now going on Sunday and I haven't had a bowel movement since Monday night / Tuesday morning, and that only happened because I dosed some 2C-E, which always makes me poop for some reason.

My diet is basically chicken, eggs, bacon, fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, tilapia), butter, olive oil, guacamole and lots of vegetables (at least half my diet by volume is made up of veggies). I do a half to a full serving of fruit per day, which I'll occasionally swap out for a small sweet potato. According to fitday, I get 20-30g of fiber and 50-65% of calories from fat per day, so I know that's not the problem.

Before I went primal, my bowel movements happened once or twice a day and were always mushy and gross. I also had a LOT of gas. Now, the gas issue is non-existent, but I'm lucky if I can get something out even once or twice a week. My stools are also a lot firmer now.

I'm not positive exactly when I went primal, but it's probably been 3 or 4 weeks at this point. I had one fairly small lapse with grains two weeks in and a nasty peanut butter binge a week after that, but other than that, I've been as on-point as possible with my diet.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 10-17-2010 at 02:37 AM.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    FYI the definition of constipation isn't 'not going' it's 'not going when you need to.'

As someone else stated earlier, this diet is lower residual than the SAD and you may need to poop less, but you're only constipated if you need to go and can't.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Having eliminated beans and whole wheat bread, having traded 1% milk for cream (for my coffee), having cut my 1-2 fruits a day to 3-4 a week ...
    my GI tract is happier than it's ever been.

I was eating too much fiber, too much dairy, and too much fructose apparently. Lots of vegetables, a fair amount of meat and fat, moderate coffee and water are doing me well. When I stray (had an extra cup of coffee at work yesterday, with whole milk), my belly protests within thirty minutes.

I think it's interesting to see, on the many different threads, where we are alike and where we differ.
    Same here. I had poor digestion all my life, everything's been great since I went primal.

Eteric is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Hmm, your diet sounds spot on. I can't imagine why you're having trouble. Where's your fruit, though? How often do you eat broccoli? Because if it's not that often, you may be missing out on fiber (raspberries, spinach, broccoli, apples, artichokes, pears). I'm just making a semi-educated guess, though. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Most of my vegetables are brocoli, actually. My fruit is typically a green apple or a bananna.

I don't have a galbladder, but I don't think that would make it this bad.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil can definitely give you diarhea. Cut down the dose or switch to krill oil.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i remember that several years ago I suddenly developed this undeniable craving for grape juice, which i never drink. So I went & bought some Welch's, like a 48 oz glass jar of the purple concord kind. Chugged nearly all of it at once, it tasted so good. It was exactly what I was craving!

OMG, like no more than 2 hrs later I was absolutely running to the bathroom!

It was such an odd isolated experience. It was such a strong craving, I gave in, and now i can't even stand to smell grape juice! Or anything grape-flavored. Except grapes. Which I still like.

anyway - if you're having trouble "going", get some grape juice! It tastes better than prune juice & apparently can work the same way.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    A few things to think about ....

For those who just "aren't producing", the bulk in stool should be bacteria, not "roughage." So, you could try eating more fermented foods like sauerkraut, kim chee, yogurt, aged cheese, and apple cider vinegar. Maybe a little glass of kombucha of an evening. Try to get some happy flora established.

For those with diarrhea, be aware that fish oil and especially magnesium supplements taken by mouth can do that. I can't have any Mg at all by mouth, of any variety. It might as well all be Epsom Salts. I use "magnesium oil" rubbed on my skin and later washed off.

Cooked cabbage family veg will give me cramps and gas. Other vegetables sometimes do this. Asparagus is the worst, probably because of its complex carbohydrate.

If you want an unusual point of view with lots of interesting ideas attached, check out Gutsense.org

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast