Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUts and fat loss? Fat intake ? page

smhsailaway is offline Member

NUts and fat loss? Fat intake ?

I have been reading through the posts and would like someone to clear up for me the nut issue? Do nuts ( almonds, walnuts , macadamia- these are the ones I eat daily 1/4 cup mixed) effect fat loss?

Also, I am following Mark's book- making sure I get 1g of protein per lean body weight. My goal is to be 155-160, and 18-20% BF. So I am taking in no less than 100g of protein a day. I am currently 215 and am looking to shed 55-60lbs. I am eating between 30-50grms of veggie carbs to start off running so-to-speak now that I am fully primal. So the rest I have to get from fat. I eat avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, the fat I get from healthy meats, eggs, nuts. I am eating between 1300-1500 cal a day. That is just where I am coming out when I journal it all.

Suggestions? comments? sound right?

thanks for your time

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    In short, yes. So does avocado. Omega 6 linoleic acid suppresses the thyroid http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...uppresses.html

Linked to obesity http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omega...o-obesity.aspx

It increases inflammation leading to a disruption in leptin signaling and hepatic insulin resistance. Not fun. Nobody has to or should try to eliminate all linoleic acid but I definitely wouldn't go overboard on it.

I am quite unpolpular for my views on almonds, walnuts, and the like, but there isn't a difference between linoleic acid molecules whether they be from hemp seeds or soybean oil. What there is a difference in is the amount of fats that are oxidized, leading to even more problems. What some nuts have is vitamin e and magnesium, which you should make sure to get from other sources.

Macedemia nuts don't appear to be as problematic.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I would say if you love nuts (i love cashews and macadamias, for example), pick your favorite nut, and eat a serving of them only 1 or 2 days per week (the weekends are perfect). This will majorly cut down on your omega-6 intake, and leave room for you to get fat and protein from higher quality sources during the week.

doug is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    In short, yes. So does avocado. Omega 6 linoleic acid suppresses the thyroid http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...uppresses.html

Linked to obesity http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omega...o-obesity.aspx

It increases inflammation leading to a disruption in leptin signaling and hepatic insulin resistance. Not fun. Nobody has to or should try to eliminate all linoleic acid but I definitely wouldn't go overboard on it.

I am quite unpolpular for my views on almonds, walnuts, and the like, but there isn't a difference between linoleic acid molecules whether they be from hemp seeds or soybean oil. What there is a difference in is the amount of fats that are oxidized, leading to even more problems. What some nuts have is vitamin e and magnesium, which you should make sure to get from other sources.

Macedemia nuts don't appear to be as problematic.
    +1

Though I do have the bias of never being able to eat a single serving of nuts once I start. Cashews and pistachios especially!

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    I would say if you love nuts (i love cashews and macadamias, for example), pick your favorite nut, and eat a serving of them only 1 or 2 days per week (the weekends are perfect). This will majorly cut down on your omega-6 intake, and leave room for you to get fat and protein from higher quality sources during the week.
    Unfortunately, I've been eating 1-2 servings of almonds PER DAY - a bad habit I really need to get away from. We bought them in bulk and it's bad for me to have them sitting around the house. Thankfully, they're all gone now. I'm terrible about eating snacky-type things that I can play with in my hands. Thanks for the reference to the amount. Any suggestions for other snacks? I'm thinking vegetables.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I've given up having nuts around too, but one thing you might want to think about is only getting nuts with the shells on them. Having to actually crack the nuts should slow your intake down a bit. You can't just grab a handful and toss them down that way.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    From personal experience rather than science, yes, it's easy to eat enough nuts to stall your progress. the carbs do add up! Once I stopped trying to get my fat intake up by eating nuts and cheese, I did start to lose. I second the suggestion to have 1-2 servings per WEEK - although I tend to just grab a handful (about 1/3 of a serving) of macadamias on my way out the door in the morning, so I'm not eating my 'allotment' all at once

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Unfortunately, I've been eating 1-2 servings of almonds PER DAY - a bad habit I really need to get away from. We bought them in bulk and it's bad for me to have them sitting around the house. Thankfully, they're all gone now. I'm terrible about eating snacky-type things that I can play with in my hands. Thanks for the reference to the amount. Any suggestions for other snacks? I'm thinking vegetables.
    Its only recently that Ive actually been able to have them in the house and not eat them. Its my new talent.

As far as snacks, im not really a snacker since I stuff my face with all my calories in a 6 hour feeding window, and fast the remaining 18 hours. However, the only good snack options I can really get behind would be hard boiled eggs(or any eggs for that matter), or cottage cheese or yogurt, if you are dairy-tolerant. While I love veggies, snacking on just carbs would probably just activate your appetite even more. Steak is always a great "snack" too lol.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-23-2010 at 03:48 PM.

smhsailaway is offline Member
    Great thoughts .. thanks. MOre than anything, I am working on making this all as simple as possible.. have spent enough of my life obsessing over what not to eat, what to eat, and when. When I read that nuts can inhibit weight loss, it was like .. *crap* now that's one more thing to worry about. I can cut it down to just macadamia, and grab a couple here and there. I'd love, and look forward to a day when I can trust myself to eat intuitively and when I am hungry, and give up my seat on the diet train.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    Its only recently that Ive actually been able to have them in the house and not eat them. Its my new talent.
    All of my almonds are gone but I still have about half a pound of walnuts left. I gotta get some willpower! Maybe I'll make up some steak chunks for snacking!

I do plan to pick up a small amount of macadamias when those are gone. My parents don't buy those because they "have too much fat".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast