Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reverse lactose intolerance? page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

reverse lactose intolerance?

Although I think both sides of the Great Dairy Debate have good arguments, I cant help but notice that dairy is actually one of the easiest things for my body to digest.

I use a lot of dairy. Cream, butter, cottage cheese (at 13 g protein per 1/2 cup its pretty amazing), fage yogurt, some hard cheese. Sometimes I'll eat a whole lot of cottage cheese with dinner and have a smoothie made with a whole carton of fage and whey protein for "dessert" right after. I cant help but notice that not only is my stomach not upset after these dairy-laden meals, it is actually quite the opposite.......calm, quiet, and sated

Anyone else feel really really good eating dairy? Maybe we can start a dairy fan club.

Its worth it to mention that Ive eaten a lot of dairy alone, too, with no other foods, and I have the same results. I dont drink milk however.

Warning: this is not, in anyway, a case FOR OR AGAINST EATING DAIRY IN THE PB. I really dont want to start up another dairy-debate thread, I am just wondering if any others have a similar experience.

StillWild is offline Member
    I hear ya! I don't drink milk anymore, but sour cream, hwc, half and half, and butter are absolute staples for me. There's nothing worse than opening the fridge at 6:30 am and realizing you're out of heavy cream!

Quote Originally Posted by StillWild View Post
    There's nothing worse than opening the fridge at 6:30 am and realizing you're out of heavy cream!
    true. oh the horror!!! :-0

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I've never had a problem with dairy, that I was aware of. However I cut it all out when I first went primal. I'm thinking of adding in cream and butter again, and the occasional cheese indulgence.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

MumtazG38 is offline Member
    I've noticed that certain of my GI issues tend to either calm down a bit or sometimes even completely go away after drinking some milk or having some yogurt. Of course, the major problems don't really feel as if they've been effected (chronic diarrhea and stomach aches just seconds after swallowing any food) but the severity of the burning acidic like painfulness of the stomach aches tends to lessen to some extent if I have milk with my meal rather than just water.

Now I still can't figure out the trigger to my GI problems....although I have eliminated rice and grains for the most part but am still experiencing horrible bouts of diarrhea fairly regularly as usual. Which makes me come to the conclusion once again that my GI problems may not be related to a gluten allergy as I'd hoped. Although, just about every single thing I eat contains loads of red chili pepper powder....my mind just tells me that this may be the culprit, but my doctor guesses it is very unlikely with the family background that I have being Paki - American and all. My family's entire diet is based on extremely spicy foods and loads of tomatoes and eggplant and it has been this way for centuries...so I guess either I'm some sort of mutant compared to the rest of my family or something else is to blame. But I still doubt it's the dairy! Although...Pizza never fails to give me several days of chronic diarrhea...but that may be due to many of the ingredients that make that pizza up...all that flour, all those nightshades (tomatoes, peppers), all that cheese.......I guess I'll just have to spend some time figuring it out a bit more.

Nonetheless...I love dairy, and I don't see myself giving up my tall glass of cold milk just because other people tend to have an intolerance to it. So far, all it does is calm down my acid reflux and my burningly painful stomach aches. So it's all good!
    Last edited by MumtazG38; 07-23-2010 at 01:37 PM.

lindag is offline Junior Member
    I love dairy. Mumtaz, dairy is known to help us tolerate spicy foods. That's why a lot of American style Mexican food goes well with cheeses and sour cream. They say if you've eaten too hot a chile, drink some milk, not water.

Quote Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
    I've noticed that certain of my GI issues tend to either calm down a bit or sometimes even completely go away after drinking some milk or having some yogurt. Of course, the major problems don't really feel as if they've been effected (chronic diarrhea and stomach aches just seconds after swallowing any food) but the severity of the burning acidic like painfulness of the stomach aches tends to lessen to some extent if I have milk with my meal rather than just water.

Now I still can't figure out the trigger to my GI problems....although I have eliminated rice and grains for the most part but am still experiencing horrible bouts of diarrhea fairly regularly as usual. Which makes me come to the conclusion once again that my GI problems may not be related to a gluten allergy as I'd hoped. Although, just about every single thing I eat contains loads of red chili pepper powder....my mind just tells me that this may be the culprit, but my doctor guesses it is very unlikely with the family background that I have being Paki - American and all. My family's entire diet is based on extremely spicy foods and loads of tomatoes and eggplant and it has been this way for centuries...so I guess either I'm some sort of mutant compared to the rest of my family or something else is to blame. But I still doubt it's the dairy! Although...Pizza never fails to give me several days of chronic diarrhea...but that may be due to many of the ingredients that make that pizza up...all that flour, all those nightshades (tomatoes, peppers), all that cheese.......I guess I'll just have to spend some time figuring it out a bit more.

Nonetheless...I love dairy, and I don't see myself giving up my tall glass of cold milk just because other people tend to have an intolerance to it. So far, all it does is calm down my acid reflux and my burningly painful stomach aches. So it's all good!
    could be eggs, do you eat eggs? my niece had similar issues and after cutting gluten and dairy, to no avail, they finally figured out it was eggs she was allergic to or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lindag View Post
    I love dairy. Mumtaz, dairy is known to help us tolerate spicy foods. That's why a lot of American style Mexican food goes well with cheeses and sour cream. They say if you've eaten too hot a chile, drink some milk, not water.
    Oh don't I know it! And goodness knows I love me some hot chile with a cold glass of milk! Doesn't seem like chile to me unless the milk is sitting right next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    could be eggs, do you eat eggs? my niece had similar issues and after cutting gluten and dairy, to no avail, they finally figured out it was eggs she was allergic to or something.
    Well, I sure hope not as I do love my eggs. Honestly though, lately I haven't had eggs in a long while, actually I haven't been eating eggs like I used to for a month now. Normally it used to be at least daily to every other day but since I moved to Brooklyn and haven't gotten used to the commute (for grocery) and haven't found a good place to purchase organic eggs I haven't even gotten them since. I doubt it's the eggs...though nightshades now. I know I'll have the most difficult time trying to cut these out for even a few days, but I'll really have to give it a go for at least a month to see whether they're the culprit or not.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
    Well, I sure hope not as I do love my eggs. Honestly though, lately I haven't had eggs in a long while, actually I haven't been eating eggs like I used to for a month now. Normally it used to be at least daily to every other day but since I moved to Brooklyn and haven't gotten used to the commute (for grocery) and haven't found a good place to purchase organic eggs I haven't even gotten them since. I doubt it's the eggs...though nightshades now. I know I'll have the most difficult time trying to cut these out for even a few days, but I'll really have to give it a go for at least a month to see whether they're the culprit or not.

yeah, doesnt seem to be the eggs. good luck though. family and diet changes usually dont mix very well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast