Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: organic or raw walnuts

organic or raw walnuts

Shop Now
    My local Natural Grocer store carries organic walnuts that are not raw and non-organic raw walnuts. Which of the two is better? There is also organic raw pecans. But I think walnuts have more omega 3. Pecans may have too much omega 6.

Walnuts are high in oil and so are usually rancid. They are one of the first nuts to go rancid (especially if they are in the open air, like in a bulk bin, instead of wrapped in an air tight container... yet, even the wrapped ones are usually rancid). Just smell them and you'll know right away. Pecans are pretty similar. Rancid oil is damaging to the human body. I've stopped eating all nuts and seeds due to Sarah Ballantyne's book: they cause more damage then they have nutritional value (plus they are very hard on digestion and are usually rancid). If you still want to eat them at least soak them in water/sea salt for 24 hours minimum to reduce some of the phytates in them. You can get your omega 3 from safer food sources like meat, butter/ghee, fish.

Organic vs non organic nuts : I thought that fruit etc with hard shells did not have to be organic, so I would not care so much for organic nuts.
    I prefer raw better in the name of them being less processed. I also think that it is easier to tell if they are fresh.

Obviously organic is better. Natural is better. This isn't just about a spray over the food. Insecticides, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other toxins get into the soil, the water, the tree or plant tissue, the bark, the leaves, etc. Thus fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds become contaminated from without and WITHIN.

Get the raw ones.

Thanks to all for sharing your ideas.

Shop Now
    Raw. In shell. They are delicious and nutritious. I have a friend in SW France who has lots of walnut trees and brought back a big bag of them - lasted me months and tasted great. NOT RANCID!!!!! And they are totally organic - no sprays or anything like that. She sends loads of them off to the local "mill" and gets back bottles of walnut oil. But I prefer the nuts as nuts.