Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melted cheese "hardest to digest"? page

Gwenhyffar Guest

Melted cheese "hardest to digest"?

There's this fad doing the rounds of an Amber Alwerda which is gaining a foothold through the hypothyroid communities, because she claims to have healed herself from Hashimoto's by sticking to this self-invented diet.

She claims that melted cheese is the hardest for the body to digest.

Is there anyone here with a chemistry/nutrition background who could say anything useful about this? The main Dutch hypothyroid forum I'm on is all abuzz with this Amber Alwerda, because of the claim she makes.

I just can't get my head around this. Why would it be "hardest to digest" of all foodstuffs?

I thought that prize went to corn, because it passes right through you!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    And how is it functionally different from non-melted cheese?

Gwenhyffar Guest
    That's what I'm wondering!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    This story (myth?) was making the round 20 years ago. I had an associate who wouldn't touch melted cheese. He claimed it stayed in the colon for months (bs I'm sure). He also did a full round of colonics after the holidays every year and made cheeseless pizzas that he topped with fresh cheese after they cooled down. Such a shame the way some people punish themselves.

All that said, melting cheese may make it more difficult to digest. I have no idea. A quick google, snopes and pubmed revealed squat. I would think if this was true or even a halfway decent food scare I would have found something.

Gwenhyffar Guest
    I've been googling my ears off here, couldn't find a thing on melted cheese! I suppose it's another one of those QI bellringers then.

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Melted cheese is generally the crappiest type(chip dips). I think that they are indirectly avoiding seed oils , chemicals, and sugar.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Wait so is she eating no melted cheese or lots of melted cheese?

Cheese being dairy will have a bacterial culture. Just like pasturizing milk, cooking dairy would get rid of the bacterial culture which will partially digest food (lactobacteria for lactose, etc)

My dietary plan for all health problems would be no neolithic foods at all.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    Well, if "melted cheese" was a major part of her diet and she eliminated it = less dairy= less gut inflammation = feeling better. I don't see how melting it can have an influence on digestibility.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    cheese is cultured milk, salt and some enzymes. melting it would change the crystaline structure of the fat, oxidize any sugars not consumed by the ferment and deactivate the enzymes. I don't get how this would make the "new product" the hardest food to digest...

fiber is not digestable, wouldn't that be the hardest to digest?
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i give corn the blue ribbon in the "foods that make my bottom bottom out".
    i can eat cheese 'till the cows come home (har har), but corn or oats... dear god....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast