Thread: Egg n00b page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Egg n00b

Shop Now
    I never ate eggs growing up. I was a pretty picky eater, and once I either accepted or rejected something as a kid, there was no changing my mind. I think the sulfury smell you get sometimes kind of bothered me, not sure really.

Anyway, I want to start eating them now, but would like to ease into them because I think I still have an unconscious problem with them. I made an omlettish thing a few months ago with eggs, beef, onion, peppers, cumin, and lots of cheese and sour cream, and that was good, but I am wondering about more and simpler recipes that can let the "egginess" shine without it being too overwhelming, so I gradually can build up to straight eggs. I figure eventually I want to hardboil and scamble them for times sake, but I would rather take baby steps to get used to the taste/texture. It's weird that I have this block, but whatever. If people have some good egg recipes like I described, I would really appreciate it. Also, any quick preparations would be nice. I literally know nothing about cooking eggs, how to tell if they are cooked enough, etc, so I appreciate any guidance I can get!

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    One of the best things for non-egg eaters I would think would be deviled eggs. I can only eat so many eggs scrambled, fried, or whatever. But I could eat like 1,000 good deviled eggs.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    The sulfury smell comes from overcooking the eggs. The rubbery texture of overcooked eggs bothers a lot of people (including me)
    For the sake of trying it the right way, I'll give you my recipe for perfect boiled eggs. Put raw eggs in an electric kettle (it works best because it turns off as soon as it hits boiling) and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Allow the eggs to sit in the kettle for 6 minutes after it turns off. The yolks will be buttery and the whites will be custardy.

It sounds like you'd do pretty well with scrambles - they're basically omletteish things without the finesse. Just add whatever bits and bobs are leftover in your fridge. And pull the eggs off while they're still a little bit runny. They'll continue to cook for a minute or two when they hit your plate.

You might also try custards. They're user friendly and can be made sweet or savory. Google has lots of recipes.
    Or crustless quiches. They're easy to prepare and like a scramble you can put whatever you want in them.
    Of course deviled eggs are scrumptious. I could eat a dozen of them in a sitting.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Those egg muffin mini frittata things from this site are so good, and easy and not too eggy. Pretty much just mix up eggs, a tbsp or two of primal mayo, meat and flavorings of your choice, pour into paper lined muffin tins and bake until set! I've done spicy chicken salsa ones, ham, cheddar and chive, spicy sausage tomato... mmmmmmmmmm...

+1 on good devilled eggs!

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    One of the best things for non-egg eaters I would think would be deviled eggs. I can only eat so many eggs scrambled, fried, or whatever. But I could eat like 1,000 good deviled eggs.
    + 1,000,000,000! I can eat 5 or 6 eggs EASILY when they're deviled, and I don't even know why. So delicious. Like crack I think, if I actually knew what that was like. mdlaw, just look up recipes for deviled eggs online (type: "deviled egg recipe" into google) and choose one that has ingredients you like. Most will have mustard/paprika/salt/pepper and usually relish of some sort. Bacon crumbles are always a welcome addition. It's not SUPER easy to do, but you'll probably really like it, and therefore create a more positive association with the humble (but ever lovable) egg.

If you want something very "eggy" that will last a few days: http://boundtoearth.wordpress.com/20...ke-a-frittata/
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    You could also hide eggs in some kind of shake or something. I can't imagine not loving eggs though. Scrambled eggs with some cheese on them are heaven in my book. Omelets are great too and you you could use just about anything to cloak the eggs.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    Recipe please??!

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The ones that Mark has a recipe for are beyond awesome:

"Fat Guacamole Devils"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fat-guacamole-devils/