Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever try Paleo Protein Powder as their PWO shake mix?

Anyone ever try Paleo Protein Powder as their PWO shake mix?

Shop Now
    Was looking for a new egg protein powder (used to use Jay Robb, but they've had issues and lately it sucks) and happened upon this in the store:

http://paleopro.com/product/paleo-protein-powder-2/

Anyone try it? Can't tell if it's just gimmicky or would actually make for an effective post-workout mix. Never had beef protein in powder form before, but hey, guess it's just really finely ground hamburger. Sort of.

Gelatin is animal protein in powdered form. I'd check the amino acid profile carefully if I were interested. Their beef protein might just be gelatin powder.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Once when making pemmican I tried using some of the dehydraited and ground venison in a shake. It had to go into a blender to dissolve and it gave the shake more of a meal feel than a desert feel. I think I had it with spiruleena and spinnach and a bananna. but then again, the way the company processes it it would probably dissolve smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    Gelatin is animal protein in powdered form. I'd check the amino acid profile carefully if I were interested. Their beef protein might just be gelatin powder.
    Interesting. From the company's site (and not sure if this really says anything or not):

"Beef Protein Isolate contains a protein and amino acid content that even rivals most whey protein isolates! Our Beef Protein Isolate has been produced by boiling down beef flesh, skimming the fat, drying the remaining aminos, and then spray-drying them for easy mixibility."

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    Interesting. From the company's site (and not sure if this really says anything or not):

"Beef Protein Isolate contains a protein and amino acid content that even rivals most whey protein isolates! Our Beef Protein Isolate has been produced by boiling down beef flesh, skimming the fat, drying the remaining aminos, and then spray-drying them for easy mixibility."
    Sounds like they replicate the gelatin extraction "process" but maybe use muscle meat instead of connective tissue. That is the inference. I think it depends on their definition and use of the word, "flesh". Maybe they use both? That would be an interesting product if they did.

Sounds like they replicate the gelatin extraction "process" but maybe use muscle meat instead of connective tissue. That is the inference. I think it depends on their definition and use of the word, "flesh". Maybe they use both? That would be an interesting product if they did.
    I've never seen a gelatin-based product sold as a "protein powder." It would technically be correct, but it would surprise me. Gelatin has its benefits, but people typically want more complete (that is, BCAA-laden) proteins in their protein powder, no?
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've never seen a gelatin-based product sold as a "protein powder." It would technically be correct, but it would surprise me. Gelatin has its benefits, but people typically want more complete (that is, BCAA-laden) proteins in their protein powder, no?
    I agree, but this product is a blend with egg white and another I can't remember. It probably is complete, but I wouldn't know the amino acid ratios. I wasn't endorsing it, particularly if their idea of beef protain is only gelatin. Both for the reason you say plus it becomes overpriced gelatin. What is unknown is whether it's gelatin or more complete beef protein that was extracted from muscle meat in the same manner that gelatin is extracted. All they say is that it is extracted from beef flesh which infers to me it is from muscle. But it could be a deceptive use of the word, "flesh".

Does the reference to "beef protein isolate" mean anything? I've heard "isolate" in reference to other proteins, but I don't know exactly what that refers to (vs. concentrate or others).

I agree, but this product is a blend with egg white and another I can't remember. It probably is complete, but I wouldn't know the amino acid ratios. I wasn't endorsing it, particularly if their idea of beef protain is only gelatin. Both for the reason you say plus it becomes overpriced gelatin. What is unknown is whether it's gelatin or more complete beef protein that was extracted from muscle meat in the same manner that gelatin is extracted. All they say is that it is extracted from beef flesh which infers to me it is from muscle. But it could be a deceptive use of the word, "flesh".
    I'm not saying it's not possible but I'd be surprised.
    The Champagne of Beards

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    Does the reference to "beef protein isolate" mean anything? I've heard "isolate" in reference to other proteins, but I don't know exactly what that refers to (vs. concentrate or others).
    It just means the protein has been separated from any fat and other components in the original "host" product. This company does it by boiling the "flesh" and skimming off the fat. They don't say how they separate the protein from the water or other components. What they reveal is for marketing and not for educational purposes.